SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Vaquero factory spring tensions (old and new)

Pat Riot

Okay, let me start by saying that I should know this but I will be darned if I can't remember it and I know I have it written downs somewhere but I can't find it.

What I am looking for is what are the factory spring tensions on Vaquero triggers springs and a verification of the hammer spring tensions:

Vaquero hammer spring = 23 lbs

Vaquero trigger spring = ? ozs

New Vaquero hammer spring = 17 lbs

New Vaquero trigger spring = ? ozs

Do I have the correct numbers for the hammer springs and what are the trigger springs tensions?

I have Googled this but all I find is BS on lightening hammer and trigger pulls but nothing on what the tensions are from the factory.

I don't need to know how to do the work to lighten pulls. Just need the spring weights.

Go to the Wolff Gunsprings site for that info.

https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/SINGLE%20ACTION%20SERIES/cID3/mID52/dID228

IIRC on the OMV the t'spring was 40oz.

OLG

Edited by The Original Lumpy Gritz
  • Like 1

Thank you Lumpy. I did look at their site and they didn't give the trigger info but I do believe that you are correct on the 40 oz trigger spring tension. I just want to be sure simply for my own info.

Yes, I would agree, the NM trigger and hammer is lighter. I have to say that I really like the way my New Model feels. I wouldn't change a thing on it mechanically, unless it broke.

My old model springs are okay if you are shooting two handed but one handed gets a bit tiring after a few stages.

I had a 19 lb hammer spring in 2 of my old models and I had the 30 oz trigger spring but I put the 40 oz trigger spring in as I felt the 30 was too light.

I have this "new to me" old model .45 Colt and I am installing a Super Blackhawk hammer and I think I want a 19 lb hammer spring with the 40 oz trigger spring but I wasn't sure if the stock spring was already 40 oz.

I don't want to go too light on the hammer spring as this gun will also be a handgun that I carry hunting. It seems that Wolf and a couple others I have found start at 19 lbs and then go down from there. I always use harder primers like CCI's and Winchester as well so too light isn't good for what I want to do. This OM will also be my back CAS revolver as I plan on running 2 New Vaqueros as main match guns.

I made a bit of a mistake over a year ago and sold a couple of my CAS guns that I could now kick myself for now. So now I am kind of starting over again with my SASS guns. I plan to buy another NM in .45 Colt soon as I really like the way that they feel shooting them one handed.

The Wolff site says that only the hammer spring is different between the OMV and the NMV.

Not sure I agree with that, as I know my wife's NMVs had a t'spring that was 'lighter' than my OEM, OMV t'spring was.

BTW: I run 15lb hammer spring in my wife's .357 NMVs, and have no problem pop'n CCI small rifle primers.

OLG

Good to know. Thanks.

The NM spring is lighter but the hammer has a a different shape so maybe that's why it seems the same as the OM Rugers?

Between the 2 that I have I can tell a big difference between the NM and OM hammers pulls.

When I bought my NM Vaquero Bisley's from Long Hunter, they came with 15# hammer springs. They would not reliably fire all round. Only fired 33 out of the first 50.

I called them up and explained, they rushed me two 17# springs. No problems until recently and now about 1:40 won't fire.

I was under the impression that the OEM was 19# for the Bisley's? Not sure if the straight Vaquero are different.

When I bought my NM Vaquero Bisley's from Long Hunter, they came with 15# hammer springs. They would not reliably fire all round. Only fired 33 out of the first 50.

I called them up and explained, they rushed me two 17# springs. No problems until recently and now about 1:40 won't fire.

I was under the impression that the OEM was 19# for the Bisley's? Not sure if the straight Vaquero are different.

Those sure don't sound like Wollf springs. :o

If you have a good 'bolt-house' near you.

Buy 2, #10 AN washers and install them at the base of the spring.

17lb are OEM in the NMV.

OLG

I just went ahead and ordered a 19 lb hammer and a 40 oz trigger spring made by Wolf from Midway for my OM .45. I am always a bit leery when it comes to springs and gun reliability.

You can, to a point, re-arch(AKA, bend)the t'spring to help reduce trigger pull.

Practice that with your OEM t'spring.

FWIW: I have never had a FTF in either of my .44 OMV w/17lb Wolff hammer springs, and I run all brands of primers.

OLG

Thanks Lumpy,

I believe I had a 17 lb spring in my Birdshead but I sold that one. It seems to me that it did just fine. I will try the 19 lb and see how that goes.

It drives me nuts that I can't find two very important references that I have lost in one of my moves in the past few years. I had a log book that I wrote all my notes in regarding all of my guns and other shooting info and I lost my index card file with ALL my reloading information. It's like a kick in the gut not knowing where that stuff is.