SASS Wire Forum

Badger's Ponder for Today

Can't STAND the feel of wool against my skin. Especially WET wool. Makes me itch just thinkin' 'bout it! Had to wear it as a kid when it was cold and snowy. Sit in class after recess when we'd all gone out to play and gotten wet. YUCK!

I don't drink. :lol:

My friend Badger is the proud owner of a funnel!!

I guess I'm the odd man out here. I have a lot of wool clothing and never found it to be itchy. Wool trousers, shirts, coats, scarves, socks, etc. Guess I just got good quality stuff that they took the itch out of. I've got a wool blanket that's itchy but I think that's because of some sawdust that got into it.

Mebbe you're allergic to wood not wool

Naw, Was working with cedar. That has to be the itchiest danged wood.

Having raised, sheered, butchered, lambed thousands of sheep in my childhood, I can speak to this.

When the sheep are wearing the wool, it is coated in lanoline, a greasy wax substance secreted by the sebaceous gland. Wool coming directly off the sheep does not itch and is quite soft in many breeds of sheep.

The processing of wool for textiles removes the lanoline and results in a scratchy, itchy wool in most cases until it is processed, combed further or artificial chemicals are added back in.

I've read quite a bit about outdoor cold weather clothing, and it seems this is a highly individual thing. Apparently wool doesn't bother some folks at all whereas others (like me) simply can't tolerate it. I remember as a kid my dad had some wool army blankets. I could have 3 quilts between me and them, and they would still make me scratch/itch. Lots of folks can wear wool with no problem. Buddy of mine had a wool pickup seat cover and my butt would be itching in 5 min. or less! Go figure.

JHC