SASS Wire Forum

Ruger sass vaqueros from long hunt

hyespeed

Howdy, it's been awhile but my sass vaqueros just came and they're the first step towards being able to join in on the fun. My holsters are on order with kirk Patrick and should be here any week now. Tracking down a reasonable lever gun and shotgun now.

Before you buy your longguns. Find a few clubs in your area and make a point to attend a shoot.

You really need to 'try-before-you-buy'. Just like a pair of shoes. ^_^

You may even find a good deal on used guns.

Good choice on going with Rugers. ;)

OLG

Edited by The Original Lumpy Gritz

Welcome Hyespeed. :)

You didn't mention the chambering on those 6 shooters but getting a matching caliber rifle is the way to go.

Take Lumpy's advise. Hit a local match and see what you like and meet some fine folks. Take your revolvers and rig along with you...and some ammo :D

Hyespeed:

Just like you, I went with the Ruger Vaqueros, SASS Consecutive Serial Numbers, in 357/38 Special. These are awesome firearms, even though I have yet to shoot mine. (Going to the range this weekend to shoot them).

Most of the pards on the WIRE will tell you the same thing they suggest to all newcomers, and that is to not wait to go to a match and shoot. There will be plenty of fellow shooters that will offer you guns to shoot until you decide and acquire your own.

Knowledge is Power and you will also find the information that can be gleaned from the WIRE is truly invaluable.

The combined experience of your fellow SASS members will help you greatly.

I like the quote from Chief Tecumseh, a Native American of the Shawnee tribe who said:

“A single twig breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong.”

tecumseh.jpg

Edited by Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

HyeSpeed,

I went through a few grips before I landed on the ones I have now. Like everything else, it's what 'feels' right in YOUR hands. I prefer a fatter grip with lots of checkering (grippy) vs. a smooth slick grip. The ones that come on the SASS set have very fine checkered so see how you like them when you shoot them. The set currently on my Rugers are from Altamont.

As a contrast, my wife started with the Long Hunter SASS set. After a year, we sent them to Boomstick to half-cock and short Stroke since she started slip hammering. Now, we are sending them back to Boomstick to convert to Birdshead grip frames and she will switch to a slick pearl grip.

It's all what feels right to YOU.

Edited by Totes Magoats
  • Like 1

Wood is better, for when the hands start sweat'n.

Here's a great outfit to deal with.

BTW: Don't start changing stuff till after you fire them. You may like the OEM grips.

http://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger/newvaquero/

OLG

I got my Ruger NM Bisley Vaquero's from Long Hunter a couple years ago. Called them up, talked about possibly getting sequential serial numbers. They said that would take an extra 6-8 weeks so I opted not to do that.

Ordered the pair, was told it would take two weeks.

Eight days later, my FFL calls me and tells me my pistols have arrived! WOOT!

When I walked in the door, the FFL says: "Nice pistols and with sequential serial numbers".

Long Hunter is top notch IMHO.

I added the Altamont Rosewood grips and really like them.

Edited by Lost Trail

Yes long hunter was great they said 4-6 weeks it took two! As far as grips I was only inquiring as I found those to be quite attractive in more interest in shooting than aesthetics at the moment but who knows 😬! I'll check out those grips also.

If we're going to pile on long hunter, I'll add mine. Bought a Remington 58 conversion model, a new vaquero, a smoke wagon, an open top, a stoeger supreme with nickel barrels, as well as action jobs on an uberti 73, an older model 66, and an original 73. On the original Jared did a lot of special stuff like welding one of the links and also getting bone and charcoal case colored. Yeah I really like they're work. Very good people.

I have been offered one for sale it's a sxs but I do not have a model number as of yet I'll ask. I'm just not too familiar I know Stevens and marlin made some guns for sears and that's about it, not too familiar with quality. Thanks

Before you buy your longguns. Find a few clubs in your area and make a point to attend a shoot.

You really need to 'try-before-you-buy'. Just like a pair of shoes. ^_^

You may even find a good deal on used guns.

Good choice on going with Rugers. ;)

OLG

I concur with OLG on this. Bought me a '73 and dropped another $600 into it only to switch categories after my 1st year to B Western. Then had to go find me a Marlin cause B Western says rifles after 1880.

Hyespeed,

Not sure your shotgun budget or if you are looking for a single/double trigger, but Johnny Meadows has a couple Baikal's all slicked up and ready to race on Gun Broker. Right at the $550 mark. If that's in your budget, it would make a great scatter gun.

Totes

The pics I could google of Sears Ranger certainly looked like a Stevens. The Ranger pump gun they sold was also a stevens (the old 520 humpback I think) Sears also sold some sxs made by AYA of Spain (the Matador). I don't know how well those would survive CAS.

Some of the things to consider with SXS shotguns is do they hold open while you shuck and reload? Do the have a prominent center lug that will cause loading problems? You have a choice between outside hammers and hammerless, single trigger or double trigger.

On the single trigger you have a choice between momentum cocking or mechanical cocking.

Baikal or Stoeger? I shoot and would re buy a Baikal.

20 ga or 12? Most will tell you to stay with the 12 and I concur.

Thanks! I've been searching online and YouTube for comparisons and I understand the bss and skb are the most desired sxs and I've considered a 97 and I am really thinking about a 97 if it's within the same price range.

What are the thoughts on eagle grips specifically the ultima ivory?

Hyespeed, try those grips out before dumping them for something else. I have the same grips, without the SASS logo, on my New Vaquero and I really like the way they feel. I am going to buy another one and try and get the same grips. I bought my first one when they came out. The new Vaqueros they sell now have the wood grips so I will have to either find the grips or buy a used gun that has those grips on it.

I started with a Stoeger, went to a TTN hammered gun just because I liked the look. Went back to the Stoeger after a few years because the TTN was so heavy I was having elbow problems. Finally broke down and bought an SKB, now I have 2 of them and don't think I could go back to any of the others. If you can afford it start with a good shotgun. Shoot different ones before you buy, BSS felt clunky to me, SKB's felt great. Charles Daly 500 is a good Miroku made double trigger SxS.

Randy

• Like 1