SASS Wire Forum

1873 Extractor Channel - What type of file?

Cemetery

So, I've got a Winny 1873.

Extractor channel needs to be smoothed out, as it currently has a bump in which adds stress to the extractor, which I'm sure is not desired.

Anybody know what kind of file I could get to smooth this out, I know it's a tight fit, but I'd rather not deal with pulling the barrel off, as I don't have the tools for that, and I'm not gonna let some local sawbones touch this rifle.

A small but fairly aggressive grit carborundum stone would be my first choice - a sliver that can be hand-worked back and forth with careful strokes. Could even be roughed in with a small diamond coated bit in an angle-head die grinder, then finished to square corners with the stone.

Pulling the barrel would make it so much easier, however. Then you just run an end-mill down the slot.

EDM machining would be the high-end, very accurate approach. If you had a buddy in high-tech metal shop.

Good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708
  • Like 1

A small but fairly aggressive grit carborundum stone would be my first choice - a sliver that can be hand-worked back and forth with careful strokes. Could even be roughed in with a small diamond coated bit in an angle-head die grinder, then finished to square corners with the stone.

Pulling the barrel would make it so much easier, however.

Good luck, GJ

Upon looking at the space to work with, it seems that pulling the barrel is the only real solution. Cause from what google results are showing me, I'd have to do a whole lot of modification to make it work.

But on the plus side, I can get the muzzle crown redone easier as well.

'sigh'