SASS Wire Forum

A Revolving Spencer.

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Is it just me, or does the thought of a single action revolver chambered for the 56-50 Spencer round sound really cool?

I mean, if they can make those .50 caliber super magnums then certainly one for this old and relatively calmer cartridge would be possible.

Purely speculative of course.

The first problem would be is that it would be an NFA registered firearm. A handgun over .50 caliber would require a tax stamp. Not overly hard to do. Hamilton Bowen built a .575/585 caliber revolver a number of years ago. But it did require BATFE approval and stamp.

The first problem would be is that it would be an NFA registered firearm. A handgun over .50 caliber would require a tax stamp. Not overly hard to do. Hamilton Bowen built a .575/585 caliber revolver a number of years ago. But it did require BATFE approval and stamp.

I have wondered about that.

If the Spencer rifle does not require a stamp, why would a pistol in the SAME caliber need one?

I believe that a .56-.50 is a .50 caliber round. The Spencer cartridges are the diameter at the base and the moth diameter. The .56 Spencer was the first Spencer cartridge amd was renamed .56-.56 when the rifle started being offered in other chamberings.

How about a .56-.50 revolver with a cylinder that spins around a 12 gage barrel, like a LeMat? Talk about a weapon of mass destruction!

I believe that a .56-.50 is a .50 caliber round. The Spencer cartridges are the diameter at the base and the moth diameter. The .56 Spencer was the first Spencer cartridge amd was renamed .56-.56 when the rifle started being offered in other chamberings.

How about a .56-.50 revolver with a cylinder that spins around a 12 gage barrel, like a LeMat? Talk about a weapon of mass destruction!

Yes, the 56-50 Spencer is a .50 caliber cartridge. Uses .512" bullets. (Just like the .50 Browning, but not the same ones!)

The 56-56, 56-50 and 56-40something all used the same cartridge case. The smaller bullets just had more crimp in them. At least, that's how they are described in the articles I have read.