SASS Wire Forum

Spotting scope

Hoss

Been dipping my toes in LR shooting. Likely going to need a spotting scope. Not going to spend big bucks, but what is about the least I can get away with? Anticipate out to 500 yds.

One of the best values for the money is the Konus 20x60x80 spotting scope.

Many of my smallbore and NRA High power rifle shooters are VERY pleased with the results. You can see bullet holes (.30 caliber) at 200 yards if you are using the black bull. In the white I can see .22 holes.....

Might work out for you as well.

Bugler

Howdy,

I suggest going to an event where folks have scopes and ask to try some.

I have a Burris 24x scope that I bought for varminting.

It is not a zoom. It was recommended by the Burris folks

as zoom scopes are not quite as good as straight ones.

I could let go of this.

Best

CR

While it has been awhile, from DCM shoots the guys that were doing good were using Kowa, Leica, or Swarovski. If you look at these remember that for some, the scope price does not includes the eyepiece which is sold separately. And yes a friend claims the Konus, as mentioned above, is good for the price! Again unless something changed, the Konus is kind of weighted forward which should not be a problem but something to keep in mind. I'd only worry about setting it up on a cheap, short tripod on a concrete table.

At 500 yards, I would invest in a GOOD scope AND tripod. Otherwise, I'd find myself ultimately buying the scope and tripod I should have purchased to start with. And, I wouldn't loan it to the club, either.

• Like 2

Another vote for the Konus here. But the right tripod will make even a mediocre scope improve.

My brother has this one: http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=159284&CAT=4099

and a lot of people that shoot the Quigley in Forsyth, MT (windy!) use and love these. I need to get one, should have bought when they were still $150.

Remember one thing, you get what you pay for...especially in optics. When you are at the range ask other shooters to look thru their spotting scopes. Better there than in a store...natural light, heat waves, etc. I have a Leupold that I have been using for 6 or 7 years. I also use it for hunting, packing it on my quad or in a small day pack. Weight was a factor for me. One thing about Leupold Optics, when it has a gold ring on it , it is warranty for life. They stand behind their product, no questions asked.

Try to spend at leat a hundred on the tripod, more if you can afford it. A gentle breeze will make the whole outfit jitter enough to really frustrate you. On a hot day with mirage, you will be set on 20 power for a clear picture. I even turn my swarovski down on 20 or 25 power to clear the picture up. Anyway, try to get a really good, and heavily built tripod. Lunger

I think some of you guys missing the part where Hoss didn't want to spend a lot of money on a scope. Kowa and Swarovski are $1500 scopes.

yea, I ain't Jim No Horse with mountains of money to spend!

I guess my question is can I get a usable scope for <200?

One of the best values for the money is the Konus 20x60x80 spotting scope.

Many of my smallbore and NRA High power rifle shooters are VERY pleased with the results. You can see bullet holes (.30 caliber) at 200 yards if you are using the black bull. In the white I can see .22 holes.....

Might work out for you as well.

Bugler

If you are only going out to 500 yds.

This is a good starter scope.

When you want to step up. Look hard at Celestron..

Make sure to get a sturdy stand that holds the scope solid.

OLG

Edited by The Original Lumpy Gritz

If you're interested I've got a Celestron 20-60x60 I'm selling for $50 plus shipping. Here's a link to it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761248-REG/Celestron_52223_20_60x_60mm_45_Zoom.html

Try this out. On sale at less than $150. I have one and with a few different power eye pieces you can cover even small calibers out to 600 yards. The tripod is not sturdy enough, especially at high magnification but the scope is great and also great for looking at the moon and other planets and stars with the kids.

Celestron 90mm Maksutov Spotting Scope Telescope Package 52268-OP - Celestron 90 Spotting Scope w/Tripod 93606

I gave up on a spotting scope when I got my vortex scope for my ruger Presision rifle. I looked and to get one better than my scope was going to run several grand. I looked into alternatives and went with the bullseye long range target camera system

Thanks guys. Looks like I have some affordable (read cheap!) options.

You can buy an el cheapo tripod for almost nothing, I carry one with me to lend.

One of my degrees is in Photography. You can spend more on the tripod than a camera, then you have to purchase a head.

Here at our 1000 yd club, some have bought surveyors tripods, which are very sturdy and strong. You buy an adaptor for under $20 which will fit the scopes' threads and you are ready to go. The surveyors tripod does not fold down into as small a bundle as camera tripods, but they will hold almost any size scope.

If you are shooting from the bench. This is the best scope stand you'll ever find.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/optics/spotting-scopes/sinclair-bench-mount-scope-stand-prod37923.aspx

Love mine!

OLG