SASS Wire Forum

Instructions for Smoothing and Tuning Cap and Ball Guns

Black Angus McPherson

I had info on smoothing up and tuning cap and ball guns, but now I can't find it.

I think what I had was written by Larson E. Pettifogger. I always planned on doing a little work on my guns but never had the time. Now I think I may have some time but I no longer have the info.

So I'd appreciate it if one of you pards would point me to some of the articles written on tuning the Colt '51 Navy, Colt '60 Army and '58 Remington New Army revolvers. Add the Colt Dragoon to that list since I recently added one to my collection. BTW, I have both Ubertis and Piettas, if that makes any difference. I'm sure a lot of the info will be the same between models, but it's the tiny details that'll kill ya.

Thanks,

Angus

Good Day Angus:

Piettas:

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=5659.0

Ubertis:

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=7988.0

--Dawg

Edited by Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329
  • Like 1

Thanks everybody for the help.

Dawg, I think that is what I printed out some time back that is currently hiding somewhere around the house.

Warden, it's always easier, for me, to watch someone first. I like Part I, I'll have to check out Part II.

Cemetery, I like that fix better than filling in the slot with JB Weld or some such thing.

J-Bar, I can use that idea. I've got a Pietta Remington that needs a spring. I'll have to check to see if the same fix works on Remingtons.

Angus

Good to have you back on the job. GW

Thanks everybody for the help.

J-Bar, I can use that idea. I've got a Pietta Remington that needs a spring. I'll have to check to see if the same fix works on Remingtons.

Angus

I've never owned or worked on a Remington, so please let me know how it works out for you! If the Remmie has a flat spring like the Colt, it should work though. :D

Cemetery, I like that fix better than filling in the slot with JB Weld or some such thing.

You'd be surprised with the amount of blowback you get coming through the nipple....and those edges grab onto the caps pretty good.

Stumpman of KandT Guns in Arkansas does one of the finest action jobs on this type of pistols. He's my brother but I wouldn't say it if'n it wasn't true. He's redone several of mine that were pretty good to start with but were noticeably better afterwards. And he's quick!