SASS Wire Forum

Polymer Coated lead cast bullets

This morning I tried to look up my supplier and his web site is down.

Now I am wondering if something went astray and he is no longer in

the bizness. I sure hope not. Anybody had any adverse news about

poly coated lead bullets in hand guns?

Nope! As a matter of fact, I make my own. Little investment in equipment and supplies. I have a $10 Toaster Oven; a used Cool Whip container ($0), and a pound of Powder Coat ($15). I have coated over a thousand bullets with this stuff and I still have over a half pound of powder left (I spilled some or I would have more left). "Shake and Bake, baby" (Ricky Bobby's motto".

Thanks for the update, Captain. As little as I am able to get out to shoot, I think I will just

buy the limited number of bullets that I need. I have enough "hobbies".

One thing I never learned is whether polycoated bullets are SASS legal. I have never

shot a match with them, but only wondered about it. They seem to leave the barrel

much cleaner than lubed bullets.

Badger - From the SASS Shooters handbook - Compiled and Edited for SASS By The Range Operations Committee, Version 21.8, February 1, 2016. This is copied from the Ammunition Section of the handbook:Revolver and rifle ammunition may not be jacketed, semi-jacketed, plated, gas checked, or copper washed. It must be all lead. Molydisulfide, polymer coated bullets, or equivalents are acceptable.”

One of my cowboy friends is doing powder coating for himself. So far he is greatly impressed. Junk equipment and hardware store powder.

Only problem he has run into was trying to size some bullets that were not yet cool and he stripped the powder off of some. Same batch of bullets 24 hours later had no problems.

This morning I tried to look up my supplier and his web site is down.

Now I am wondering if something went astray and he is no longer in

the bizness. I sure hope not. Anybody had any adverse news about

poly coated lead bullets in hand guns?

Hey Badger -

I've been using the Poly coated bullets from Missouri Bullets, since the indoor range I also frequent

will allow them, when they will NOT allow exposed lead otherwise.

They give me the same velocity and accuracy as the plain lead ones, but are much cleaner in the gun!

I've got the better part of 1000 uncoated lead that I'm ready to part with cheaply, or trade, as I intend to

shoot nothing but these for p[ractice and competition. I also like not touching the lead when I reload.

If you want to see and try some in .45 (250 LRNFP) let me know - I can give you some to fiddle with!

SC

http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=246&category=20&secondary=14&keywords=

9FVN5uSl.jpg

Thanks SC. I have some and I called my supplier down in Oregone. He is still in bizness but my

cranky old computer can't open his web site. So I will just call when I need some more bullets.

Bye the bye, we should get together and make a trip over to the range and burn off some

powder when the weather gets a little warmer. My old bones can't tolerate these chilly days.