SASS Wire Forum

Camp Trailer Battery Charging Question

Howdy pards,

I have researched this question online and cannot find an answer...so...I came here to ask my pards.

On my 2004 Fleetwood Pop-Up trailer I have installed a battery disconnect switch. My question is this:

While towing with my 7 way connector operating properly will my trailer battery charge from the tow vehicle with the trailer battery switch in the disconnect position?

Thanks in advance...

HH

:FlagAm:

If the switch is at the battery, it will not. At least on my trailer the the charge wire is spliced to the positive wire from the battery inside the junction box on the frame under the trailer. Therefore a switch at the battery would disconnect the battery from everything.

Thanks pards.

My disconnect switch is wired to the negative side - at the battery box.

HH

Then I would say that when the switch is opened. You rec. no current for charging, nor will the battery feed the RV any power.

Hint-Look into solar panels. ;)

OLG

Mine will not. My disconnect switch is between the battery and ground. Since there is no ground there is no circuit for charging.

However since you have a 7 way, I assume you have trailer brakes. In the event of disconnect your battery provides the power to the trailer brakes. I would not suggest towing either with the battery disconnected or removed.

Mine will not. My disconnect switch is between the battery and ground. Since there is no ground there is no circuit for charging.

However since you have a 7 way, I assume you have trailer brakes. In the event of disconnect your battery provides the power to the trailer brakes. I would not suggest towing either with the battery disconnected or removed.

+2