SASS Wire Forum

There Is This One Guy Who Got a Stage DQ....

Jim No Horse

He left the match angry many months ago. Saw him Saturday and greeted him warmly. No mention of the past event! We had a great day.

So is there a guy who just puts a burr under your saddle? Is there a way to reconcile with him or her? An e-mail special note...a friendly word? Anybody got a story for me??? Thanks Jim

Edited by Jim No Horse

Not sure what you mean. Did he put a bur under your saddle or does he have the bur under his saddle because of you or someone else?

If you care about this guy's situation and what happened, it sounds like you do, I would just talk to him about it. Email is convenient but somewhat impersonal. If you can talk either by phone or in person about what happened I think it would go a long way in helping the situation. I would go that route.

We both forgot about it and it sure made the day all the sweeter....Jim

• Like 1

If he left in a temper and hasn't been back, because of a DQ he earned, he was likely too embarrassed by his own behaviour.

Open the door for his return, but keep an eye on him for a return to whatever earned him a DQ in the first place, especially if it was a safety issue.

I say let it go. I'm bettin we all screw up once in a while. I hope the reason for his SDQ was properly explained at the time as mine was! It's a bummer to get one, but, but hey, it's only a game. And a game that we are having fun at, not to get mad at others.

• Like 1

I've had 2 SDQs once for moving with a loaded closed shotgun, another I tripped and fell and dropped an unloaded shotgun. both earned and deserved. the dropped gun or moving are easy, nobody should get their nickers in a twist over that. the more subjective ones, breaking the 180 etc, are a little tougher. usually if somebody breaks the 170 its only for a second, happens fast, and if your angle is not just right, then its a hard one to call. they are easy to see on videos, but harder in real time.

I say let it go. I'm bettin we all screw up once in a while. I hope the reason for his SDQ was properly explained at the time as mine was! It's a bummer to get one, but, but hey, it's only a game. And a game that we are having fun at, not to get mad at others.

+1

people have bad days and as said above get embarrassed, some more easily than others.

Start fresh at this point and more forward (sounds like an ad campaign there)

cr

If you earned it, no reason to hold a grudge. I got a MDQ once, on the second stage, Just timed the rest of the day. Kinda hard to argue with it, the hole in prop was pretty obvious. Learn from it and move on. When my son earned his first SDQ, I showed him the hole I made. told him, don't get mad, you earned it, it happens. And pay more attention to the 170.

We had a shooter let a shotgun round get away and shot the prop table. He left in embarrassment and did not come back for a year.

In answer to your question yes, there used to be a guy that got on my very last nerve. Was always the first shooter to the loading table before the posse even fully arrived at the stage. Had already read the stage instructions and gotten his guns loaded before I had a chance to start reading the instructions to the posse. In the middle of my reading he'd be prodding, "Shooter ready. Let's go. Shooter ready." He'd get even more impatient if one of the other members of the posse needed a little extra explanation of the stage. "SHOOTER READY!" I'd stop reading and glare at him until he finally stopped and I was able to finish explaining the stage. The instant he was done shooting he'd race to the next stage before anyone else even had a chance to shoot the current stage. He'd be standing there waiting on us impatiently and the process would begin again. He wasn't a member of the club but a frequent visitor from a nearby town. I found out he was that way at every match he went to. One match with him was more than enough. I demanded to never be stuck on the same posse with him again.

I had a pistol come out of a holster at a state match once due to my holster being too loose and me moving in just the right way. I was out of the running for any top honors, but it was fun to see how much ground I could make up along the way. The pressure was off, so I had a great time. Its all in how you look at it. Never blame a pard for something you did, we have enough of that sort of stuff in the outside world, keep our Cowboy World safe from that sort of thing.

Some folks can laugh at their miscues and plain bad luck, and some can't. Often it can take a little time to be able to laugh at something and get over it.

As to things that people do that annoy me, sure there are some things. Some I can write off as just a different way to enjoy the game, and some are just simple rudeness. If it's something that needs to be addressed, I'd rather do it right away and get back to the fun. If not, I do my best to overlook it, look past it, or otherwise ignore it as I don't want it to effect the fun I am having.

If someone has a problem, it is their problem, I have enough of my own that I'm not gonna take on theirs too.

And do not forget that some people have a temper that flares, then when they cool down come back to being regular civilized folks. Remember Captain Call whipping the scout. Let it go, unless the other person brings it up. As said before, water under the bridge.

Regards,

Ivery

I got a SDQ on the first stage once, walked to the shooting line ready to go and timer says STOP! your rifle hammer is cocked, not chambered but yep it was cocked, And boy did I get mad at( ME! ) how stupid could I be I said, Learned and never happened again.

Renegade Ripley

I got a SDQ on the first stage once, walked to the shooting line ready to go and timer says STOP! your rifle hammer is cocked, not chambered but yep it was cocked, And boy did I get mad at( ME! ) how stupid could I be I said, Learned and never happened again.

Renegade Ripley

A good reason to take the half cock notch out of the equation. I removed all of mine, we don't need them in a competition only rifle.

Renegade Ripley

Mine wasn't the first stage but---- shot second pistol 5 times and for whatever reason re-cocked it. The RO said I was all done with that pistol. I stuck it back in the holster---- uh oh-- forgot to drop the hammer--- poof SDQ. At the moment I thought it was OK due to the gun being empty, it was explained, I was embarrassed and that was the end of it. Next shooter! You can bet I won't do that again!

Edited by Eyesa Horg

Some people are very passionate about everything they do. I have seen tempers flare at matches dozens of times and almost always they are very upset with themselves. But on the rare occasions you will run into people where it seems to be very much a habit.......spotters are always wrong........the posse has it out for them....wind always blows when it's their time to shoot etc etc etc. My mentor told me about 15 years ago that it takes years to build a reputation and 5 seconds to ruin one. I have tried very hard to keep that at the front end of my thinking. We have all done things at some point in time that we wish we hadn't and I believe in giving people a second chance. But eventually you have to come to the realization that you cannot control the way someone wants to play this game. I often see competitors leave the match early and skip awards if things did not go their way, they always say something like "I'm in a time crunch and gotta get home" when you know full well had they shot the match they wanted to they would be there. I have no respect for that personally and feel that it's terrible sportsmanship, but if that floats your boat so be it. The awesome thing about CAS is that everyone is nice, the bad thing about CAS is that everybody is nice, so folks with bad behavior tend to be tolerated for quite awhile. That all being said after traveling all over the country for all these years and shooting so many places there is nobody I would flat out refuse to shoot with, and I think that pretty cool.

He left the match angry many months ago. Saw him Saturday and greeted him warmly. No mention of the past event! We had a great day.

So is there a guy who just puts a burr under your saddle? Is there a way to reconcile with him or her? An e-mail special note...a friendly word? Anybody got a story for me??? Thanks Jim

I could tell you some stories!

Shooter gets a DQ for something s/he did (or didn't do)...that's on him.

Shooter gets a DQ because s/he didn't bother to learn the rules...that's on him.

Most people will be upset with themselves under those circumstances.

They usually get over it and chalk it up as a learning experience.

Those who get angry and blame an RO (or anyone else) for their own error are the ones we can do without.

After 25 years of doing this, I have a very short list of folks with whom I absolutely will not shoot.

"Interpersonal conflicts" and loaded firearms don't mix well.

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L

I never got a DQ - Stage or Match that I didn't earn.

I dropped a loaded gun while re-holstering my left pistol. State Match. 1st stage of the second day. BOY was I angry - at myself.

My penance was picking brass for the rest of the day.

Stuff happens. Move on.

back to the burr,,, if someone has a burr under their saddle about me, I just try to kill them with kindness,,,, if I have the burr, I figure I taint perfect either and let it go,, sometimes it takes me a lil while to complete it, but I try....

99% if the people in SASS are the salt of the earch,,, the other 1% are sometimes a challenge that has to be overcome...

and yes, sometimes you have to walk away and put it in the past

About ten years ago. I got a match DQ on my first shot at EOT! It would have been a disaster if my two

young sons didn't think that was awesome. We visited just about every tourist spot in New

Mexico after since I already had a hotel reservation.

Once I got a stage DQ in Canada. To this day, I have no idea what I did. Luckily, I remembered that I was at that match to have fun and it wasn't

like I had bankrupted my firm,

Sometimes life is a hoot.

If a shooter got a match DQ on the first stage of a local monthly match and decided to pack up and go home it generally would not bother me. Most of of have jobs or chores to get done plus our desire to get out to a match. Maybe if he gets home he can get those chores done and go to a match tomorrow or next weekend that he otherwise might have missed. If he had a lousy attitude about the DQ or is always complaining that would be different.

I once said "Oh Fiddlesticks" after getting 10 misses for hitting the pistol targets with the rifle. :o I was pretty embarrassed. :blush: I felt better later when I found out that two others did the same thing on that stage. ;)

"Oh, Fiddlesticks?"

:-)

• Like 1

The only SDQ I've earned was just that. I earned it. I put a cocked (empty) pistol back in the holster. I think it was my 3rd match or so,

I've never had a SDQ resulting from a bad call. Misses, yes, P's, yes, even had 3 spotters miss a SG that went down and bounced back up.

They all missed it, had to come back and shoot it again. Was I unhappy about it, you bet; but I sure as Hades didn't let it ruin the next 5 stages of the day let alone walk off the range.

With that being said I've been playing sports my entire life and there is one constant in every one of them where human referees, umpires, judges, etc are concerned. No matter how good they are at it, mistakes, bad calls, bad scores do happen. Sometimes they hurt you sometimes they go your way.

As a sportsman there's only one thing you can do, deal with as quickly as possible it and move on.

Have a moment or two alone to be PO'ed and get it out of your system then get back in the saddle.

At our last monthly match I arrived at a loading table just as one of our most experienced, top shooters was opening the loading gate on one of his pistols. He drew my attention to it, showing me spent cartridges that were still in his cylinder from the previous stage. Smiling all the while, he told me, "That's a Stage DQ for the last stage." He self-reported it and that smile never left his face for the rest of the match!

Was the timer operator, had a gent point a shotgun at my head (pointed directly up range) when he turned around to head for the unloading table. Called him on it. He said I should not have been standing there and blamed me for his error. Packed up his stuff and left. Next time I saw him he was selling all his cowboy stuff and getting out of the game.

At our last monthly match I arrived at a loading table just as one of our most experienced, top shooters was opening the loading gate on one of his pistols. He drew my attention to it, showing me spent cartridges that were still in his cylinder from the previous stage. Smiling all the while, he told me, "That's a Stage DQ for the last stage." He self-reported it and that smile never left his face for the rest of the match!

A good way to salvage some of your dignity is to call a SDQ on yourself and request the appropriate penalty be assigned.

Seen that a few times now. Kudos to those shooters. Went to load my .22 for a side match once and found it loaded (with empties). DQ'd myself from home and stayed at the range all weekend! :D

Edited by Michigan Slim
  • Like 1

Yes, really. I have witnesses. Titus, Drover, Alamo Kid, Fingers McGee, Doc Hurd, Tab...help me here.

Here are some of the witnesses.

40750_1431026825193_5540052_n.jpg?oh=4ba

That musta' been at Sparta! That was a fun match in spite of the weather!! That bunch in the picture, kinda' sketchy if ya' ask me!! :lol::lol::lol: