SASS Wire Forum

How do you hang your holster rigs?

RagingThunder

Howdy,

I am starting to accumulate a hefty collection of holster rigs. How do you cowboys and cowgirls hang or store your rigs when not using them? I'm looking for ideas on how to hang 6 rigs on the wall. If anyone does this, pictures would be much appreciated.

Here's a picture of my gun room. I'm looking to hang them just to the left of the cabinets on the wall. Sorry it's not a closer picture.

1V0WEv.jpg

Thanks

Raging Thunder

Edited by RagingThunder
  • Like 1

From a nail in a floor joist in my basement loading room.

+1

I have a SASS cupboard and I buckle them up on the rail (the one you normally hook your clothes hangers on).

My period accurate (ish) clothing (no costumes here!) also hangs in the cupboard although the more leather I get the less room there is.

My hats go on top of the cupboard and the draws hold bits and pieces (screw knives, etc).

Howdy- Had the same problem ( well, of course! ). I found, at Home Depot, an answer that I didn't have to do anything to, except find a wall space to mount it. It is a row of 6 coat hooks mounted on a fancy board. Mounts flat against the wall, keeps our ( mine and the wife's ) rigs and shotgun belts off the floor, and out of reach of ...the cats!

I can't believe I have ever seen a gun room with reloading presses that looks like it's never used except to sit on the leather couch and read the Cowboy Chronicle keeping my feet warm on a wall to wall carpet with not a spot on it. Not to detract from this 'Better Homes and Garden' picture - you should build a glass front show case to hang your holsters in!

ill second the admiration for cleanliness and decor , while im not without amenities where i am at , i have not got your view nor the finesse of cabinetry , i am also not going to claim a cleaning of that magnitude on any regular basis , my use is regular and there are components on the floor some

as to the leather - ive kept it coiled in a case with the guns , under lock and key , my friend in wisconsin had his hanging on the wall on pegs but no iron in the holsters - they looked empty

Edited by watab kid

I appreciate all the replies! I was thinking something along the lines of Conestoga. Mounting extended pegs or hooks to a barnwood or hickory board and hanging them on that.

Mike, I will throw a picture up of whatever I come up with when it happens so you can see.

Trust me the room isn't as clean as it appears. The mess is just behind all of those cabinets! The stuff that stays out is just dumped in the cigar boxes behind the presses. If you open the doors you'd see it. It's just hiding. :ph34r:

Howdy Raging Thunder,

Let me compliment you on a terrific gun room. Because I value my gun rigs as much as my firearms I keep them in my safe. I always air them out well before putting them in the safe, remove holsters from the belts and loosely coil the belts. Not sure which would be more difficult to replace if stolen guns or rigs so I keep them both in the safe. For storage I've seen freestanding coat/hat racks and wall mount coat/hat racks work good.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

PS Is that a lazy susan I see in the lower right hand corner of the pic? Dang, what a room!

• Like 1

First- Your reload room is the one you dream about. My holsters are left on the belt and coiled, then stored in a box or tote without a lid so air can get in. I also made wooden cylinders from 1 3/4in. hardwood dowel with a drawer pull on the end so holsters stay round. GW

• Like 1

I don't have any photos, but in my last home I screwed brass coat hooks into a four foot long piece of oak (three inches wide), which was attached to the wall. Held more than a dozen rigs. Started out with an old standing coat and hat rack, but I out grew that pretty quickly.

Edited by Tex Jones, SASS 2263
  • Like 1

I hang my rig on a wooden dowel that I picked up some place, it is a small square piece of wood with the dowel coming out of it at a angle, I buckle it and then hang it, works for me. It is hung on wall beside the gun safe, also hang the shotgun belt on it also.

All for now JD Trampas

• Like 1

One thing I don't recommend is a nice coat tree. They look great and they work...until you are removing a holster belt and it hooks one of the lower pegs you installed and the whole thing tips over.

Nice room, by the way. :)

Edited by Pat Riot, SASS #13748
  • Like 1

Howdy,

I am starting to accumulate a hefty collection of holster rigs. How do you cowboys and cowgirls hang or store your rigs when not using them? I'm looking for ideas on how to hang 6 rigs on the wall. If anyone does this, pictures would be much appreciated.

Here's a picture of my gun room. I'm looking to hang them just to the left of the cabinets on the wall. Sorry it's not a closer picture.

1V0WEv.jpg

Thanks

Raging Thunder

Only in my dreams does my loading bench look like that. I'm lucky if I can find the press.

• Like 1

Well ....... Humpff..... RT,

Obviously, your not aware, a neat, clean, well ordered work space is a sure sign of a very SICK MIND!! You need help. Get that work space properly messy. Lotta fun getting spilled shot outta that swell carpet ain't it!! Don't ask how I know that fact.

Oh .... Right ..... the OP ...... How rude of me. Cardboard Boxes. They're cheap, plentiful (sweetie shops on Amazon) and if one fills up, in a couple of days a bigger one comes along. I just wind a particular rig up on itself and drop in inna box. Simple.

Coffinmaker

• Like 1

Howdy,

1V0WEv.jpg

Thanks

Raging Thunder

Where did you get that small cabinet behind that Mec shotgun press, I could use one of those in my gunroom...very nice and way to neat!

Hang my gunbelts?

I don't.

I have a small duffle bag that my leather stays in between matches. I just roll up the belt and stuff it into the bag. Nobody is going to come and admire my gunbelts.

Edited by Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283

Well ....... Humpff..... RT,

Obviously, your not aware, a neat, clean, well ordered work space is a sure sign of a very SICK MIND!! You need help. Get that work space properly messy. Lotta fun getting spilled shot outta that swell carpet ain't it!! Don't ask how I know that fact.

Oh .... Right ..... the OP ...... How rude of me. Cardboard Boxes. They're cheap, plentiful (sweetie shops on Amazon) and if one fills up, in a couple of days a bigger one comes along. I just wind a particular rig up on itself and drop in inna box. Simple.

Coffinmaker

Ha you always crack me up! I also know the pleasure of pulling shot out of carpet :blink:

Where did you get that small cabinet behind that Mec shotgun press, I could use one of those in my gunroom...very nice and way to neat!

It came from a local guy called Unique Custom Furniture out of Fredericktown, OH. A web search will bring him up.

RagingThunder, on 23 Jan 2017 - 5:07 PM, said:

Ha you always crack me up! I also know the pleasure of pulling shot out of carpet :blink:

Put a cookie sheet under that Mec and it will keep most of your shots from falling on the carpet. ;):)

• Like 1

Hi Raging Thunder,

First, that is a nice room. Hanging holsters would look B)

I don't hang my holsters as they would just collect dust. They are in a closet, loosely rolled in the canvas bag that I use to carry them to the range. Also, I put tennis balls in the holsters so they don't smash. PVC pipe would work too.

Regards

Allie

• Like 1

Leather stays loose rolled in my plastic "packer" boxes with the rest of the gear needed for Cowboy or Wild Bunch. Labeled Box for each so I don't take the right box to the wrong match. All the stuff I need makes it to a match - nothing left hanging on the wall 30 or 300 miles away from the match.

:huh:

But then again, perhaps your rememberer is sharper than mine.

Good luck, GJ

• Like 1

Yup, put a cookie sheet under the MEC. You'll be glad you did first time you dump shot all over the place so you don't have to vacuum it out of that nice new carpet.

Might as well mount a hat and coat rack on that wall. Available from Home Depot. There will be a place for your cowboy hat and holster rig.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/liberty-27-in-White-and-Satin-Nickel-Tri-Hook-Rack-45CHHR-WSN-L1/205625688. or something similar with six hooks.

Edited by I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321
  • Like 1

Might as well mount a hat and coat rack on that wall. Available from Home Depot. There will be a place for your cowboy hat and holster rig.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/liberty-27-in-White-and-Satin-Nickel-Tri-Hook-Rack-45CHHR-WSN-L1/205625688. or something similar with six hooks.

What is with the singular of hat? ;)