SASS Wire Forum

97's and black powder

Marie Laveau

Ok so here's the current topic of discussion around the fire.

I know you can shoot a 97 with BP but how bad does it gunk up and how fast? When my husband shoots a 45 rifle, it gets icky after just a few stages.

Can a match be shot without cleaning it? Help me solve this question sooty folks.

I use my 97 with real black.

No fuss. No muss.

5, 6 stages....like a Timex, keeps on ticking.

Trick I learned to reduce plastic wad build up in the barrel is to put the thin overshot card, over the powder before seating the plastic wad.

The change from black powder to smokeless powder could not have been instantaneous. I'm sure a lot of BP rounds went through a lot of '97s well into the 20th century. I don't shoot my '97 often, but BP shotshells have not hurt it at all. If you are concerned about fouling the action, grease it liberally before the match and just wipe it out afterwards. My BP shells are loaded with plastic wads, no problem cleaning the barrel when the match is over.

Hey Marie :wub:

The heaver the charge, the better the hull will seal & help to limit the crud in the action. If the hulls get "burned" down the outside, they are not sealing the chamber - similar to .45 LC blow-by or blow back when light smokeless charges are used. You need to find a balance between recoil & performance.

Yusta

Edited by Yusta B.

Use a spiral tornado brush to clean and it will tend to push out the melted plastic wads instead of tearing them up like a regular bristle brush. Make sure you pour some warm water down the barrel first to loosen it up a bit. Some Murphy's Oil Soap in the water will help also.

Also - if you can get or have a take down '97 the barrel cleaning process is greatly simplified.

Use a spiral tornado brush to clean and it will tend to push out the melted plastic wads instead of tearing them up like a regular bristle brush. Make sure you pour some warm water down the barrel first to loosen it up a bit. Some Murphy's Oil Soap in the water will help also.

+10

If a take down SG just pour HOT water thru barrel, then push 1/2 paper towel thru, then bore mop or patch with oil & you're done.

Marie

should have no problem with bp in the 97 as stated above (I know very little about that)

but bp catagories do not allow the 97

FRONTIER CARTRIDGE Any Main Match fixed sight model revolver. Revolvers may be shot two handed or one handed (duelist style). Must use blackpowder in all loads (rifle, revolver, and shotgun). Must use a side-by-side, single shot or lever action shotgun in the main match stages. Any SASS–legal pistol caliber rifle is acceptable. Frontier Cartridge Duelist is also recognized with all requirements being the same except the Duelist and Double Duelist shooting styles are used. See Duelist description for the required shooting technique(s).

FRONTIER CARTRIDGE GUNFIGHTER Any Main Match fixed sight model revolver. Only Gunfighter-style or Double Duelist-style may be used. Must use blackpowder in all loads (rifle, revolver, and shotgun). Must use a side-by-side, single shot, or lever-action shotgun in all main match stages. Any SASS-legal pistol caliber rifle is acceptable. See GUNFIGHTER category description for the required shooting technique(s) and holster restrictions. NOTE: Frontier Cartridge competitors may use any SASS–legal firearms and propellants in team