SASS Wire Forum

Would you require it?

Alpo

I think this one is one of my weirder ones.

Leave us suppose that you have a niece (or nephew) the same age as you, or even older. It can happen. For example, your daddy was a "change of life baby", so his brother is 20 or more years older than him. Or (as in You've Got Mail) it was a second marriage for your grandfather.

So there you are. Six years old with your eight year old nephew.

Would you require he call you Uncle (or Aunt, as the case may be)?

NO !

I know people who have this issue .

The answeris NO.

I require my coffee hot, my beer cold and my steak well done.

Beyond that I have so many in-laws, out-laws, kinfolk and shirttail relatives I'm doing good to remember their given Christian name, let alone their familial honorific!

Kind of like "Call me anything but late for supper!"

Speaking of which ... I wonder what's for breakfast ...

Happened in my family, my cousin Steven (deceased now) was a year older than my uncle Mike (who is 85 and going strong) Steve always called him Uncle Mike out of respect. They hung out together in high school and even dated a couple of the same girls!!! :lol:

I require my coffee hot, my beer cold and my steak well done.

Beyond that I have so many in-laws, out-laws, kinfolk and shirttail relatives I'm doing good to remember their given Christian name, let alone their familial honorific!

Kind of like "Call me anything but late for supper!"

Speaking of which ... I wonder what's for breakfast ...

Except for the steak part that just about sums it up.

One of my sons in law is three years older than me. Whenever I get the chance I introduce him that way. He gets a pretty good laugh from it, my wife not so much.

My mother was older than three of her uncles. When she was in her nineties she enjoyed working that factoid into conversations: " I still have three living uncles," she would say, and then enjoy the amazement of new acquaintances.

Her mother wet nursed one of these uncles at the same time she nursed Mom. Mom referred to him as her "bosom uncle."

Edited by J-BAR #18287

I think this one is one of my weirder ones.

Leave us suppose that you have a niece (or nephew) the same age as you, or even older. It can happen. For example, your daddy was a "change of life baby", so his brother is 20 or more years older than him. Or (as in You've Got Mail) it was a second marriage for your grandfather.

So there you are. Six years old with your eight year old nephew.

Would you require he call you Uncle (or Aunt, as the case may be)?

Nothing weird about it.

As others have commented it is very common.

I was talking to a co-worker and showing off the pictures of my new Grandson. She has four children ranging in age from 26 to 7 yoa. Her youngest is going to grow up playing with her adult kids children (her Grandchildren).

For whatever reason I'm not really for prefixes. My nephew always refer to me as "Uncle Steve" and always sounds weird to me. I don't call him "Nephew Adam" JMO

My dad had a nephew like that. He was just our Uncle Tom and my Pa considered him his brother. Also, my aunt was raised as our oldest sister. Lived with us when my grandparents lived in Taiwan. Grandma was 48 when she got pregnant....

My wife would kill me outright if that happened.

My wife has an aunt that is 2 years older than her but younger than me. I only call her aunt when i want to push her buttons