SASS Wire Forum

Alphabets

Subdeacon Joe

Many versions:

Phonetic

shorter version

Joke version from the 2nd link:

In 1972, while working in the Research Department of British Telecom (at that time called Post Office Telecommunications), I circulated the following "new phonetic alphabet standard" in a memo as a joke. From time to time since then I have seen several almost identical "joke" alphabets that, I assume, were arrived at independently (or maybe someone kept a copy of my memo). Anyway, here is mine:

Aesthetic Bdellium Cyst Djellaba Euphemism Feign Gnat Heuristic Ithyphallic

Jarlsberg Knickers Llama Mnemonic Nuance Oestrogen Pneumonia Quay Rhythm

Sjambok Tzar Ulema Veldt Wrath Xylophone Yttrium Zloty

>The Western Union Phonetic Alphabet:

Adams Boston Chicago Denver Easy Frank George Henry Ida

John King Lincoln Mary NewYork Ocean Peter Queen Roger

Sugar Thomas Union Victor William X-ray Young Zero<

That, except for A, is what they used on Adam 12.

Wonder why it was just ONE Adam, instead of the multiple?

A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z has many problems in verbal communication.

Yes, I know...I was being a smart alec. :D

I learned the English International Phonetic Alphabet in the Navy. It makes the most sense to me, if you need to use a phonetic alphabet. I remember it being explained that the reason for that alphabet had to do with radio communications and even if you have bad reception and could only get pieces of the message that these words coming over the radio were most recognizable even if only getting through as partial words in the message. Makes sense.

I work in rail transit and we always used this system. What used to drive me nuts were the guys that would mix the messages between the Alpha-Bravo and the Able-Baker alphabets...or even just coming up with their own words. They tried to sound "military" but came off sounding silly.

I remember this one PC moron we had in Charlotte that fought the use of the Alpha-Bravo alphabet because he didn't like the word "Whiskey" being used as whiskey is alcohol and we were a "transit agency" with a zero tolerance program for drugs and alcohol so he came up with his own alphabet and proposed it to upper management. It was squashed but the hilarious thing was whenever that PC moron was on the radio everyone took the opportunity to use a phonetic alphabet using the names of alcoholic beverages instead of the approved phonetic alphabet.

I remember one time we had a train vs auto. The supervisor calling the Control Center sounded out the personalized license number of the automobile's license plate using the names of mixed drinks. It was hilarious...of course the PC moron nearly lost his mind over the radio and it was funny as all get out..

I was watching some movie one time, and they were giving numbers over the radio.

Fiver and Niner. That kinda defeats the purpose. Niner is so the listener knows you're not saying Five. Calling Five "Fiver" makes the two numbers sound alike again.

That came floating up from memory when I heard Ferb, in episode one, explaining to Walt that "klicks" was the new term for "miles".

I was watching some movie one time, and they were giving numbers over the radio.

Fiver and Niner. That kinda defeats the purpose. Niner is so the listener knows you're not saying Five. Calling Five "Fiver" makes the two numbers sound alike again.

That came floating up from memory when I heard Ferb, in episode one, explaining to Walt that "klicks" was the new term for "miles".

I learned five as "FI-UV"

And if counting down from 10 to fire off a charge to count, '7 - 6 - - 4 - 3 - 2 -1 - FIRE" Leaving out the "five" so someone didn't hit the switch on hearing the "FI"