SASS Wire Forum

Faux ivory rifle front sight question

Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

A pard asked me this question today and I didn't know the correct answer, but I know some of ya'll will.

Shooter's hand book says:

Sights must look like sights available during the cowboy era—bead, blade, simple post, or otherwise approved front sights (such as the XS Cowboy Express) made of materials such as steel, iron, ivory, faux ivory, brass, gold, pewter, copper, or silver are allowed.

So, my question is if white plastic can be used as faux ivory? Isn't that what faux ivory is?

Thanks,

Possum

So, my question is if white plastic can be used as faux ivory? Isn't that what faux ivory is?

YES

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L

Or white paint

Paint colors are covered in the same section.

"Rear and front sights may be "blacked" painted, or plated in the colors of the previously listed materials. ..."

SHB p.5

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L

Remember if you do use the Foe Ivory (aka prrrrrastic stuff) it's fragile.
Friend of mine had a lovely, beautifully shaped, precisely fitted, sighted in and ready-to-go Foe Ivorie mounted to a precisely dovetailed front sight base.

This on a hand made Hawken .54.
We were loading up ready to head for a Muzzle Loaden match, his rifle started to fall over, dropped into the gap between the pickup's cab and bed, and SNAP.

He didn't have a front sight blade no more.

I think we set the Land Speed Record fabricating him a brass front blade of the correct height and yes he did out shoot us (as usual) that day, but his face fell about three feet when he realized all that loving care and attention to detail was now laying on the gravel, broke off and ruined.

And remember... if in California, be prepared to prove it's fauxnie, and not real ivory. ;)