SASS Wire Forum

'73 extractor breakage

Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

A friend has a '73 in 45 LC that keeps breaking extractors. (5 in the last year.) He's put in most, but had the last one done by a professional and it broke this morning. I'd say it lasted about 2 months. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Possum

Edited by Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

Without looking at the gun it is hard to tell. In all candor and not trying to be snide your friend needs to take it to someone that knows 73s. Five in a year is rediculous. If a "professional" installed the last one and it broke after two months he needs to find a new professional. You are in Louisiana. Are you close to Slick McClade?

SOMEONE needs to check the timing on the gun, and the condition of the cartridge support tab on the bolt face! Second, the slot in the chamber face into which the extractor extends when bolt is in battery. The common "breakage" comes from the tip of the extractor slamming into either the case rim or an obstruction. It's hard to wear out a .45 Colt extractor in just a few months.

But, yeah, for us to tell you more, we need to know much more - about the gun, about any damage to the broken extractors, what vendor of extractor he's using, how fast and smooth he runs the gun!

Good luck, GJ

It has been my experience that 1873 extractors need to be "fitted"......if you replace it with too much tension you are overloading the spring.

I fit mine to where it snaps over the rim with some authority but not a loud SNAP!

I used one for 5 years.....lots of rounds (.38 Special)......and run at 18 second stage times.

• Like 1

SOMEONE needs to check the timing on the gun, and the condition of the cartridge support tab on the bolt face! Second, the slot in the chamber face into which the extractor extends when bolt is in battery. The common "breakage" comes from the tip of the extractor slamming into either the case rim or an obstruction. It's hard to wear out a .45 Colt extractor in just a few months.

But, yeah, for us to tell you more, we need to know much more - about the gun, about any damage to the broken extractors, what vendor of extractor he's using, how fast and smooth he runs the gun!

Good luck, GJ

These art the things that need to be checked. Some bolts have a tendency to tilt downward at the end of the stroke also and during dryfire with no snap cap, the extractor can sometimes strike the breech face. Also slow timing will cause undue stress on the extractor.

All of ya'lls helpful advice is sincerely appreciated. He's been monitoring this post, so hopefully has seen something he hadn't checked yet.

Just for the record, he's a pretty good gun mechanic and the professional he had put in extractor is a very good one, but apparently we were still missing something.

Had weak extractor/broken extractor. This is what I did, but you have to have the equipment to do it.

1. Fitted new bolt

2. Fitted new extractor

3. Fitted (welded) cartridge support tab on new bolt

4. Adjusted head space

5. Installed timing adjustment screw

Ghost