SASS Wire Forum

First Message From Secdef Mattis To DoD

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/1055908/defense-secretary-issues-message-to-nations-sentinels-and-guardians

It’s good to be back and I’m grateful to serve alongside you as Secretary of Defense.

Together with the Intelligence Community we are the sentinels and guardians of our nation. We need only look to you, the uniformed and civilian members of the Department and your families, to see the fundamental unity of our country. You represent an America committed to the common good; an America that is never complacent about defending its freedoms; and an America that remains a steady beacon of hope for all mankind.

Every action we take will be designed to ensure our military is ready to fight today and in the future. Recognizing that no nation is secure without friends, we will work with the State Department to strengthen our alliances. Further, we are devoted to gaining full value from every taxpayer dollar spent on defense, thereby earning the trust of Congress and the American people.

I am confident you will do your part. I pledge to you I’ll do my best as your Secretary.

MATTIS SENDS

Seems almost to be channeling Adm. Nelson

1280px-England_Expects_Signal.svg.png

Joe. I really appreciate your intelligence. Please explain to this ditsy blond how 253 = England, 269 = expects etc. I have figured out duty but the rest is beyond me.

Thank you for all your great posts.

My eldest son served with him and has the highest respect for him.

SEMPER FIDELIS!!!!

Joe. I really appreciate your intelligence. Please explain to this ditsy blond how 253 = England, 269 = expects etc. I have figured out duty but the rest is beyond me.

Thank you for all your great posts.

Alas, it is not given to mere landsmen to know the arcana of naval signal flags, alas.

That's because it all came from the Signal Book

ENGLAND EXPECTS

icon35.gif

NELSON'S TRAFALGAR SIGNALS • 21 October 1805

Notes

The signaling system in use by the Royal Navy at the time of the Battle of Trafalgar had been introduced in 1799 by Admiral Lord Howe and was further developed by Captain Sir Home Popham. Howe's original system was based on a set of flags numbered 0 to 9 that when hoisted in various combinations could transmit words, numbers, or messages listed in the Signal Book. Each letter of the alphabet was allotted a number, enabling words to be spelled out, The numeral flags could also be used to send numbers as such. But most signals were two-or three-flag combinations which referenced messages in the Signal Book, e.g. to discontinue the engagement, to pursue the enemy, to anchor, etc. The Signal Book was so arranged that the sender and receiver could quickly compose and interpret flag hoists.

Howe's system was impractical for sending long messages due to the large number of flags required to spell out individual words. In 1800, therefore, Captain Popham developed a "vocabulary" system by which three- or four-flag hoists referenced words or phrases in the Signal Book. This was the system in use at the time of Trafalgar and Nelson's famous signal is a fine example of how it worked. This type of hoist was preceded by the so-called telegraph flag, indicating that a vocabulary message was to be sent. The signal was terminated by a finishing flag, functioning like the period at the end of a sentence. Receiving ships acknowledged the signal by hoisting the Affirmative flag, indicating that it had been seen and understood. If the signal was seen but not understood, receiving ships hoisted the Affirmative flag over numeral flag no. 8. For repeated numbers a substitute flag was provided. In Nelson's signal this flag, yellow with black stripes along the top and bottom, was employed in the hoist for the word do (No. 221), substituting for a second no. 2 flag.

The second signal that Nelson ordered to be hoisted was No. 16 in the Signal Book: "Engage the enemy more closely." This remained aloft until it was shot away in the heat of battle.

victory.jpg

"England expects that every man will do his duty": HMS Victory on 21 October 1905, the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar, with Nelson's famous signal to his fleet hoisted. Also visible are the Union Jack at the bow, the White Ensign at the stern and the rank flag of a full admiral, the Cross of St. George, at the main.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe

I think Mattis got their attention.

Edited by Utah Bob #35998