SASS Wire Forum

OT: DVD Converter

Dorado

I've gotten a truck camper recently and have been fixing it up. I've set it up with a tv and a car stereo that can play dvd as well as play Mpeg4 from USB drives. I'd like to put some of my western on a small drive so that I won't be tempted to take my disks with me. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with converter programs. I'd like to find something that works well and is reliable. I've tried a couple of programs but they've been hit or miss.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Dorado

I use Windows. I've found several I just don't know what's a good one.

Howdy,

Over the years I have bought some great disk holders.

The best zips shut to keep everything in.

It opens like a book and disks slide into the holders or 'pages'.

As time has gone by, the replacement disks get cheaper and cheaper.

Going thru a conversion on every movie you want to watch just sounds

like so much work.

Check around at computer stores for disk carriers.

They might be going cheap.

Best

CR

Oh, I've thought of that. Space is my main concern. That and forgetting they're in there and letting them get damaged. I use one for CDs in my truck. I could use it in a pinch for dvds but I'd rather just copy a bunch of my movies and just have to worry about a cheap thumb drive.

I've gotten a truck camper recently and have been fixing it up. I've set it up with a tv and a car stereo that can play dvd as well as play Mpeg4 from USB drives. I'd like to put some of my western on a small drive so that I won't be tempted to take my disks with me. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with converter programs. I'd like to find something that works well and is reliable. I've tried a couple of programs but they've been hit or miss.

Any suggestions?

The hit or miss stems from the programs ability to negotiate the DRM features of the disc in question.

Haven't ripped DVDs in a long time so unfortunately I am out of touch with good software for the task.

You can look here for reviews of software

Reviews of Free DVD Ripper programs for Windows

Be sure to check reviews as a lot of "free" software comes with malware and or bloatware that it will also install on your PC

Edited by Sedalia Dave

If you're a MAC user, Handbrake does DVD to mp4.

There is a windows version of Handbrake. However I am pretty sure current versions of handbrake will not rip DRM protected DVDs

Edited by Sedalia Dave

There is a windows version of Handbrake. However I am pretty sure current versions of handbrake will not rip DRM protected DVDs

Tried it. Would not convert my John Wayne movies. I'll try an off the shelf version. If that doesn't work I'll just get a good case and take the disks with me.