SASS Wire Forum

Manual of arms.

Trailrider #896

I thought it very interesting that the troops and sailors manning the steps down which President Trump and family passed were armed with M-1 Garand rifles, and prior to the President passing were standing at a position where the rifles had the butts resting on the ground, tipped diagonally across their bodies, with both hands near the muzzles. Not sure if this is "At Ease" or "Rest Arms". Guess the good ol' M-1 is a better parade rifle now than an M-16. Surprised they could find enough of them to supply that many troops! :)

The army troops use M14s the Marine and Navy units use M1s

I marched in the 1953 Eisenhower Inaugural parade with the Washington, DC McKinley High School Jr. ROTC cadets. We carried Springfield 1903's with chrome bayonets. They were switched out next year for M1's. The 03's were a much nicer drill rifle. It was the high point of my scanty military career. I still have my sabre from my lofty position as Company C Captain, as officers had to buy them (got it used for $15). When I was a Master Sgt., we were issued drill swords that were stamped "US 1862." Wonder what they are worth now? Anyhow it was a long march down Pennsylvania Avenue from behind the Capital to way past the White House. Luckily it was a nice day.

There were only six berth for my MOS back in the 50s. When I left, buddies bought me a NCO saber. I

still use it to cut the cake on The Birthday!!!

My TO weapon was a .45 and the Manual of Arms of the Pistol is simple and there's no real

cadence. The Manual of Arms of the sword is a lot "fancier"!

Anyone know what the USAF, USN and NOAA carry?

?..."Anyone know what the USAF, USN and NOAA carry?

You mean swords?

I noticed one of the rifles had an open breach. It looked to be a Garand, but it may have been an M14.

IIRC a sailor was toating it, so I would guess it was a locked back M1. Perhaps the open breach was for

safety and security reasons. Although S/Sgt. Buxton trusted me and my rowdy friends to close the bolt for

parade ground work.