SASS Wire Forum

The two Marines at the White House door......

Utah Bob #35998

The one on the right looks like a rock. On the left, not so much. I'm not sure what position that's called when they have their hands clasped in front of them. I don't recall it in the Drill and Ceremonies manual, but they are not together. Marine on the right has his feet at the rest position, shoulder width apart. The guy on the left has his feet at attention. Right hand Marine's cap is squared away better.

?

I suspect if their 1st Sgt is watching, he is steaming! 😏

Thanks for explaining that UB, I knew there was something "off", specially with the soldier on the left.

+1

I really noted that one also. Seemed the one on the left was giving commands to the one on the right. And yes, the one on the right appeared more Marine. Wife said, "they look so young". Think I'd yank that one on the left out of there.

Was it my imagination, or did that skinny young fella on the left have an awfully bowed set of legs?

I saw the two Marines execute this maneuver,. and I think the "at ease" / "parade rest," leg position is more appropriate.

But, since I've not seen this door-blocking stance executed before, I don't know how it should have been executed.

Edited by Cat Brules, SASS #14086

It sure struck me that the Marine in question was disabled.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 21, 2017 - Obama bashing
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 21, 2017 - Obama bashing

What else would you expect? Look who we had for a Commander in Chief for 8 years.

A prosthesis would explain it.

Now I feel like the north end of a south bound horse.

Shame on me.

Thanks for explaining that UB, I knew there was something "off", specially with the soldier on the left.

Pard, please do NOT use the term "soldier" for any person in the military. Marines are NOT soldiers, and soldiers are not marines.

As far as the bowlegged stance, I don't believe they would assign a man with a prosthesis to stand for that long a shift. Could just be he's a cowboy.

Regardless of the minor deficiencies I noted during my armchair inspection, my hat's off to those young Marines.

Then why apply such a caustic observation in the first place. Since you have no clue the circumstances.

It was not, in my opinion caustic. It was simply an observation. I think two men who are being watched on TV by millions of Americans and are representing the corps should be as absolutely perfect as possible. I stand by that.

• Like 1

Actually I thought the large Marine did not look as sharp with as far has he had his legs spread apart. The other Marine standing at attention showed him up.

I would also put my money on the smaller Marine in a fight. Them small guys are wiry and tough and the big jarhead makes for a bigger target.