SASS Wire Forum

Army Selects New Hand Gun

Once again, I backed the wrong horse in this race. Just as I did in 1985, I was hoping for and backing the Glock but the Sig is a great pistol also. My final hope is for a .45 not the 9mm but that's just the view from my foxhole...

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/01/20/army-picks-sig-sauers-p320-handgun-to-replace-m9-service-pistol.html

Edited by Colonel Dan, SASS #24025

.45 would be best but we have to accomadate the females, but I have carried a Sig P220 for about 5 years and its a great handgun. when we tested it we put 800+ rounds through it with out any cleaning or oiling between rounds. it didn't have a malfunction till 800+ ( I think 876 comes to mind) went through it. Personally when I was in the AF I carried a 1911. And today my carry weapon is a Colt combat commander (45ACP) which I have carried for about 15 years and its never let me down. I think the military made a big mistake when they went to the beretta. Just my humble opinion.

Thanks for you thoughts in the SASS mag.

.45 would be best but we have to accomadate the females, but I have carried a Sig P220 for about 5 years and its a great handgun. when we tested it we put 800+ rounds through it with out any cleaning or oiling between rounds. it didn't have a malfunction till 800+ ( I think 876 comes to mind) went through it. Personally when I was in the AF I carried a 1911. And today my carry weapon is a Colt combat commander (45ACP) which I have carried for about 15 years and its never let me down. I think the military made a big mistake when they went to the beretta. Just my humble opinion.

Thanks for you thoughts in the SASS mag.

I trainded a lot of female officers on the Glock 21. They handled it as well as the guys overall. Not sure about the Sig.

I suspect they will stick with the 9mm unless the CinC steps in.

.45 would be best but we have to accomadate the females, but I have carried a Sig P220 for about 5 years and its a great handgun. when we tested it we put 800+ rounds through it with out any cleaning or oiling between rounds. it didn't have a malfunction till 800+ ( I think 876 comes to mind) went through it.

I ran a Glock 34 in the same fashion. It made it to 985 rounds.

I wouldn't have a problem having to use either the Sig or the Glock.

Just an old fossil, I guess, I don't handle change very well.

I trust my VIRTUAL 1911 and I suspect that is all I will ever need.

I love the 1911, but for the diversity of the troops and ease of breakdown there are other choices that are better. I would go with a .45 from any of the choices but I love the M&P from Smith!

Shirttail Bess has no problem with multiple shots from an Ultra carry II in full load 45 acp. I'm thinkin if the powers that be think a woman can't handle a 1911 or similar weapon in 45 cal they are being chauvinistic. Any body that is in decent physical condition should have NO problem with that caliber.

kR

• Like 1

I love the 1911, but for the diversity of the troops and ease of breakdown there are other choices that are better. I would go with a .45 from any of the choices but I love the M&P from Smith!

The 1911 is a pistol for someone who will learn all about it, train with it and become very proficient in understanding it's design and idiosyncrasies; special operations troops for example. There are better pistols for general military use. The Sig is a good choice. I do hope they go with 45acp but that may be pie in the sky.

The US military made a horrible mistake when they went to 9mm. You don't hunt men with a pea-shooter. When I was an Air Liaison Officer with an infantry battalion, I was totally disimpressed with the M16. I saw way too many gomers hit with that damn thing and keep coming. I never could understand why we sent Marines into combat with a pea-shooter and a .22 rifle. Neither of them knocks down anything. Conversely when they were hit by a .45 they went down and stayed down. Same thing with the scout/snipers and their .308s; didn't take a full magazine for a kill.

PF

Personally Glock's don't feel good in my hand. Have never held one that felt good.

Sig feels pretty good to me and I think the fit and feel are important to shooting well.

I too think a .45 would be a better choice. Glad that I was on the tail end of the 1911's when I got out in 86. Never had to carry one of the M9's.

Howdy,

I have wondered for years why its only 9mm or .45?

And maybe a round that is a case that just rarely jams?

Maybe a mag that fits into both a pistol and carbine?

Best

CR

We want our troops to have the very best.

However, aren't there any American companies that have safe reliable guns?

I am not sure if the stories are true, but didn't the US military have caps made in China or some other country?

Also, it bothers me to see American flags, the Statue of Liberty, etc made in China that are sold at government owned museums, etc.

I wonder where the Clinton and Trump political caps and trinkets were made.

As both a Glock and Sig armorer I have mixed feelings. The Sig is a great gun no doubt about it. The drawback is it is twice the cost with twice the parts. I could teach a monkey to strip a Glock not a Sig. It's hard to screw up a Glock, there is one piece in a Sig that if put in wrong turns the gun into a single shot pistol until it is returned to the factory. The Glock is a much easier gun to train the average person on.

• Like 1

We want our troops to have the very best.

However, aren't there any American companies that have safe reliable guns?

I am not sure if the stories are true, but didn't the US military have caps made in China or some other country?

Also, it bothers me to see American flags, the Statue of Liberty, etc made in China that are sold at government owned museums, etc.

I wonder where the Clinton and Trump political caps and trinkets were made.

I don't understand why they didn't even consider the Smith & Wesson M&P line of firearms! Maybe they did and didn't like 'em. I love my M&Pc in 9mm!

I don't understand why they didn't even consider the Smith & Wesson M&P line of firearms! Maybe they did and didn't like 'em. I love my M&Pc in 9mm!

Every article I have read says that the reason S&W was booted was not disclosed. One article made it sound like the S&W wasn't "modular" enough. If you click the link in my prior post you'll see that the Sig is very modular. Not sure how Glock would beat out S&W in that area though.

i was in when the army switched to 9mm though we went to Iraq with the 45 rattly as it was. the reason was NATO uses 9mm and at that time we envisioned a war with russia and wanted ease of logistics and the ability to have ammo if we picked up an allies weapon. the 1911s in our unit were rattly and worn out and not very accurate. all our officers carried that as did some higher up Bradley commanders and the tank units still carried it and the grease gun in 45 to Iraq.

My Nephew is Special Forces Marine Corps .

They all use 1911 45 acp .

I guess when you really need to get the job done.

The Men Step In !

I have and continue to compete in NRA Bullseye matches alongside women. Sadly, many women have out shot

me. As you all may know, we shoot .22, centerfire and 45ACP.

We have many female high masters. I served with female Marine Masters.

The .45 ain't easy to master but it sure as little apples can be.

Detachment one carries the 1911!!! QED!!!

I have and continue to compete in NRA Bullseye matches alongside women. Sadly, many women have out shot

me. As you all may know, we shoot .22, centerfire and 45ACP.

We have many female high masters. I served with female Marine Masters.

The .45 ain't easy to master but it sure as little apples can be.

Detachment one carries the 1911!!! QED!!!

It's not the caliber but the grip size that gives a lot of women problems. The Glock 23 that our females carry actually kick more

Every article I have read says that the reason S&W was booted was not disclosed. One article made it sound like the S&W wasn't "modular" enough. If you click the link in my prior post you'll see that the Sig is very modular. Not sure how Glock would beat out S&W in that area though.

Modular??? :wacko: Makes you wonder who the hell is the team picking out the guns!

Sig Sauer has changed it's website and is now unusable. I have a Sig P238 and go to their site often, but now it really sucks. Come on Sig, get your website act together!

Exactly...I had a bit of a rant about this one the Wire.

I saw that and I agree with you 100%! ;)

• Like 1

Modular??? :wacko: Makes you wonder who the hell is the team picking out the guns!

So, for those of us not in the know...what's the problem with modular? I was unfamiliar with the concept, but after looking through the Sig site and the catalogs at Midway and Brownells, it looks like the gun is easier to disassemble, and transforms quickly between 4 calibers, 3 grip sizes and 3 frame sizes - ultimate adaptability. Assuming its does all of this dependably, what's not to like?

LL

So, for those of us not in the know...what's the problem with modular? I was unfamiliar with the concept, but after looking through the Sig site and the catalogs at Midway and Brownells, it looks like the gun is easier to disassemble, and transforms quickly between 4 calibers, 3 grip sizes and 3 frame sizes - ultimate adaptability. Assuming its does all of this dependably, what's not to like?

LL

There are those in the military that are pencil pushers and are concerned about logistics. That is one of the reasons that they push using NATO ammunition, like the 9mm. Yet these same idiots or their military progeny want something like this? Sure, it is a cool concept but when you have a company of soldiers and each soldier can customize his handgun with different frames, back straps and magazines to match the frames it makes no sense if at the same time they are worried about logistics. Imagine 4 or 5 brigades and trying to do the same. Something about this whole thing is fishy and makes no sense to me.