SASS Wire Forum

Where to Get REAL News?

I've had it with my local paper of record - The Boston Globe. If I read one more hand-wringing, doom predicting, sour grapes diatribe concerning the end of civilization as "we" know it, I'll puke on my boots. Have folks up here always been so self-absorbed and dismissive of any thoughts except their own? Wait...don't answer that.....

So I'm looking for a new "primary" source - that paper or mag or broadcast on the Internet that you go to FIRST when you want some reliable facts. Like most of you, I cruise multiple sites (Fox, MSN, CNN, etc.), looking for some balance; but TBG has always been the paper that I look to first. But not anymore.

Suggestions? Nominations for reliability, breadth of scope, fact checking and multiple quoted sources, and suppressed political agenda/tilt?

So far, I'm leaning toward the Wall Street Journal, if I can cut through the jungle of financial stuff and squeeze the extra change out of my wallet.. There's something about a paper that still has living reporters, and calls everyone "Mr." or "Mrs." or (shudder) "Ms.".

Recommendations?

Gracias!

LL

BBC News was recommended me by a man I trust, after I referred to CNN as "Harper's Weekly" ... he's a Civil War re-enactor and we discussed how Harper's was regarded by the Yankee North as gospel truth, and by the South as a damned Yankee rag, but both sides read it, understanding it for what it was.
My dear friend said the Beeb has none of the monopolized bias of the US newspapers and tended to have both balance and a clearer view of newsworthy goings-on.
I don't use it for my first go-to but it's part of my "Information Gathering Battery."

As Paul Harvey said, "For what it's worth."

What is the REAL news?

I check out radio broadcasts and websites for Fox, NPR and BBC. NPR is a very left group but their people are more professional than those at CNN or the big 3. I figure that the real news is somewhere in the middle of the three sources.

I think that there is much to learn from what the news reporters do not say. When was the last time that you heard a report about a homeowner using a firearm legally to stop a home invasion? Why not talk about businesses that are doing all the right things in the right manners?

• Like 1

BBC is good, The Christian Science monitor used to be excellent but they have switch from daily to weekly publication and are primarily web based although I believe you can still get a printed paper.

Don't be fooled by the name, they are not a christian biased news source. The CS Monitor was founded in 1908 by Mary Baker Eddy because papers of that time were so biased. They have done a pretty good job of keeping that balance and will often have articles that contain viewpoints from both sides unfortunately is now only a weekly paper.

I wrote a term paper in college about the bias in the news and figured that with a name like Christian Science it would be heavily biased. Turned out I was wrong. Learned a lot and got an A in the process.

Edited by Sedalia Dave

Howdy:

I use the WSJ as a primary source of news, along with bits and pieces from other papers. Once in awhile the WSJ produces a piece that my bird loves to read when I line his cage with it. But normally they are pretty fair.

STL Suomi

Tune to other country news. U.S. just too corrupt.

Only news I'll even consider watching is Fox. Not great, but the best there is at least here. The rest have degraded themselves to the same credibility as the National Enquirer. Sad.

JHC

Some think that "real news" no longer exists:

http://www.michaelzwilliamson.com/blog/index.php?itemid=411

"People are worried that the "mainstream" press is being threatened by "fake news.""

The reality is there's nothing to worry about. There's no longer a difference. The millennials have destroyed any credibility the news industry might have had left. All that matters now is who can shout the loudest."
Edited by J-BAR #18287

My very first morning in Paris . . . . I crossed the street from the train station ( I'd come in on the "night ferry" from London ) . . . . with my first every copy of the "International Herald Tribune" . . . . I sat down in my first sidwalk cafe with coffee and the paper. I was AMAZED to read world wide news and find everyting so different from what i'd been reading about the same events in the paper and TV in San Diego ! Like a whole different world.

Edited by Wolfgang, SASS #53480

One of the healthiest things that I have done for myself lately is I have stopped reading the news on line. I get a local paper with local news. I listen to AM radio going to and from work and I look up the weather on my cell phone. If I just have to look at news I go to Fox and I agree with Sedlaia Dave about the BBC and the CSM as well.

If my blood pressure ever gets too low I will look at Yahoo. 5 minutes of that biased trash and the BP is right up there again. Fortunately my BP is excellent so I don't need Yahoo to bump it up and oddly enough, it has been excellent since I stopped looking at Yahoo or MSN. I can honestly say that I haven't watched anything on regular TV in over 3 years so I don't have to put up with all the moronic alphabet soup news service on there.

Even Fox keeps harping on how popular BHO is. Really!?!?! Guess that's the same pollsters that were telling us about the landslide...........that didn't happen. :)

JHC

Fox is just quoting polls, NOT THEIR polls! They also say that the polls were wrong all the way up to election day! They are in fact reporting the news from all sides! Fox rocks!! ;) You won't hear that on any other channel! ^_^

First thing in the morning I go on line and check the headlines at the NY Times web site. That tells me what the enemy (politically) is doing. Then I pull up the Washington Times to find out what the rest of us are doing. Also check in on WSJ. Take the local paper for the local news. In order to get perspective you must read several sources. A wise sage noted some time back, "the farther a house fire gets from the day it happened the farther left the story will go"

MS

Decades ago, the New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Journal of Commerce were required reading.

Pudge Sulzberger took over the NY Times and sent it down the sewer. Only the WSJ survived and remains

replete with accurate news.

After the Corps, I was a founder of a firm that had to have accurate news to survive and thrive. That left

us with the WSJ. Fox Business is the only TV source that you can use to trade.

Investors Business Daily (IBD).

All the other news is just stuff that comes and goes.

I will look at Washington Post, Newsmax. Fox, maybe every 10-30 days, but not daily.

I do look at IBD everyday and subscribe to their weekly paper. Business and finance are more interesting to me than "news."

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins