SASS Wire Forum

Drop Back Five And Punt.

Subdeacon Joe

Interesting article, Joe. Thanks.

I had forgotten about how they aimed these guns. I also scrolled down far enough to read some of the comments. There's a guy named Roger that could use a good kick in the backside...but then his brain would probably dislodge and fall out.

Why do I bother looking at the comments...stupid people irk me...

Interesting article, Joe. Thanks.

I had forgotten about how they aimed these guns. I also scrolled down far enough to read some of the comments. There's a guy named Roger that could use a good kick in the backside...but then his brain would probably dislodge and fall out.

Why do I bother looking at the comments...stupid people irk me...

Because they can also be hilarious.

I got the sense that the writer of the story accompanying the photos was not terribly well versed in the subject matter, either. But the comments were at once hilarious and sad.

The text of the article is almost word-for-word the same a the Wiki article on punt guns, and most of the photos appear in both places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punt_gun

A bit more balance, and less false drama, can be found here: http://www.wideopenspaces.com/duck-cannon-past-punt-gun/ along with a great video of a punt gun in action (I love the way they tied it down to the table before firing!)

LL

The articles failed to note that eating duck, goose and swan was very popular in high end restaurants and wealthy homes in these times.

Also, womens' hats were often adorned with plummage from swans, ibris and other waterfowl.

The Maymont home (ca. 1893) in Richmond, VA has many swan themed furniture and wall items.

When you fire that cannon, how heavy does the anchor holding the punt in place have to be? Or do you spend 3 hrs rowing back to where the dead ducks are?

When you fire that cannon, how heavy does the anchor holding the punt in place have to be? Or do you spend 3 hrs rowing back to where the dead ducks are?

If you were to anchor the punt you would likely tear it apart from the recoil. Like with all muzzle loading artillery, you needed free recoil. I haven't read any accounts of how far the punts moved, but it likely wasn't all that farm that square stern and the oars in the water would slow it down considerably.

Edited by Subdeacon Joe

Doesn't move the boat as far as you would think. Looks like about a boat length before he stops it with the paddles.

http://youtu.be/O9r_ZckAmkc?t=9m47s

We had a 2 gauge cannon with wheels in the bow of a punt boat. My forebearerss used it to market hunt

waterfowl to send to Eastern markets. My gggrandfather's 8 gauge 4-1/4" was also made illegal. It

sure makes a boom!!!

They through a net over the puddled ducks and WHAMO!!!

If you were to anchor the punt you would likely tear it apart from the recoil. Like with all muzzle loading artillery, you needed free recoil. I haven't read any accounts of how far the punts moved, but it likely wasn't all that farm that square stern and the oars in the water would slow it down considerably.

SDJ & SD,

Thanks for the clarity and the video of the demo. I always learn a bit on a stool in this Saloon.

Capt RHK