SASS Wire Forum

.44 Russian Schoefield clone rechambered to .44 Special?

Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Has anyone ever rechambered a .44 Russian Uberti or Navy Arms (or otherwise) clone to fire .44 Specials?

Just askin'.

Mustang

Just ream the cycliner .

Pretty easy done by any gunsmith .

Dumb Question:

Why not just shoot 44 Russian in them? Starline makes 44 Russian brass, I shoot it in original S&W Top Breaks all the time.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

From Driftwood:

Why not just shoot 44 Russian in them? Starline makes 44 Russian brass, I shoot it in original S&W Top Breaks all the time.

Well, we reload and shoot .44 Specials in all of our outfit's revolvers and rifles.

That's 30+ Cowboy Guns shooting the SAME caliber. I'm not wanting to mix in anything different.

Mustang

:FlagAm: :FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

From Driftwood:

Well, we reload and shoot .44 Specials in all of our outfit's revolvers and rifles.

That's 30+ Cowboy Guns shooting the SAME caliber. I'm not wanting to mix in anything different.

Mustang

Sounds like your crew has about 46.23% of the 44SP guns used in SASS competition.

I have 14 Cowboy guns all in 44 special

Because I like the caliber.

No Question is a dumb question.

The Only True Dumb Question is the one you did not Ask !

I don't know, have no dog in the fight and don't own either Schofields or 44 specials BUT, would there be any concerns over strength of the Schofields cylinder with 44 Specials?

Sounds like your crew has about 46.23% of the 44SP guns used in SASS competition.

I must have another 4% I've got 2 Sheriffs models, that accounts for .5 since the barrels are so short. I also have a 12" Buntline that accountes for 3.5 since the barrel is so long.

That being said, a few years ago, I saw an original Russian in an antique store for $300 that was in excellent condition. I didn't buy it cuz I didn't wanna tool up for a new caliber and it could not safely be converted to .44 Special.

I have regretted that decision ever since.