SASS Wire Forum

Capper for a Ruger OA

TN Mongo, SASS #61450

I'm putting together equipment to start shooting my Ruger Old Armys. Which style of capper works best for theses pistols, a snail type or a straight line capper?

I use the brass snail type have a couple put a piece of leather string tied to it and to me that way if I ever have to recap on the line I just let go and shoot. I also have an antler tip on a loop for sitting the caps firmly but safely.

I had to dress down my Tedd Cash Universal (snail) Cappers a bit to get them to work on my ROAs. A bit of filing and smoothing with fine sandpaper or steel wool on the tip helped fit the cap onto the nipple easily. Mine are old, maybe the new ones won't need it. I take two to the range; cap feeding problems are rare with this style but happen once in a while and I can finish capping with my spare rather than cause a delay at the loading table.

I had to dress down my Tedd Cash Universal (snail) Cappers a bit to get them to work on my ROAs. A bit of filing and smoothing with fine sandpaper or steel wool on the tip helped fit the cap onto the nipple easily. Mine are old, maybe the new ones won't need it. I take two to the range; cap feeding problems are rare with this style but happen once in a while and I can finish capping with my spare rather than cause a delay at the loading table.

That's some good info, thank you.

Snail. The in-lines are a PITA to load. Takes longer to load one than it does to fire five stages. With snail cappers you dump in the caps and shake it and the caps turn over. Close the lid and you are ready to go. As noted above, they are just made out of brass sheet metal with a little steel finger. Might need a little adjusting once in a while but still a heck of lot more user friendly than the in-lines.

T/C plastic snail capper. Been using one for 10 years.

Edited by Yusta B.
  • Like 1

T/C plastic snail capper. Been using one for 10 years.

When I shot my Ruger Old Armies, the T/C plastic snail capper worked very well. I tried the brass types but didn't have much luck with them.

Buckeye Pete