SASS Wire Forum

Reciprocal reloading

Mack Hacker, #60477

Has anyone ever worked a reciprocal agreement with another shooter where one loads a given number of rifle/pistol ammo and the other reloads shotgun ammo? This question came over me this morning while cranking out some ammo for Winter Range.

The real question is: If shooter A gives X number of brass and all the required components to shooter B and shooter B gives 1000 shotgun hulls and all the associated components to Shooter A; then they reload the hulls/brass and return.

What would be the acceptable value of "X"? I just love algebra.

Neither Is had to do both can have the number of step so if all you are proving is the labor I think 50 shot shell per two hundred hardball would be fair as that usually the ammo count for a ten stage match. Or you can do few let's say your local match is six stages that's 120 hardball and 36ish shotshellusing the 10-10-6 formula. If your supplying components then the math gets harder as you have to calculate the Bullets primers and powder for the hardball assuming they give you brass and the other needs to add up the primers, powder, wads, and shot used so I think it would work better if you teamed up and loaded both together and that way you don't have to worry about anything .

I will not load ammo for others, due to the liability that comes with doing so

Without Insurance, and a license It is just not worth the headaches that could come with it

I will not load ammo for others, due to the liability that comes with doing so

Without Insurance, and a license It is just not worth the headaches that could come with it

You are correct! I won't reload for anyone (except my wife & son) or shoot anyone else's reloads.

I am with Lumpy, Trail Boss and Big Sage on this issue. I load my own and I will load for family. That's it.

Besides, I do not obligate myself to others in this fashion that way they are not obligated to me. Easier to keep friends that way.

I have a reciprocal relationship with a buddy of mine, and sometimes a few other folks. I reload ammo for them, and they shoot it, in my guns no less. What do I get? Having a buddy to shoot with. I somehow think I am getting the short end of the stick here. It's a tough business finding folks my age to play this game. But one day many years from now when everyone older than me passes on, I don't want to be the only one left playing.

I enjoy reloading. I have no need to charge anyone for my fun hobbies!! :D

Over the years I have had people ask me to reload "some ammo"for them. I have always said no, I didnt want the liability. Even and especially if they wanted to pay for it.I have given a small amount away and my lawyer says that does not carry the same weight of responsibility legally as if I did so for recompense. That said I believe if two individuals did exchange or load together there wouldn't the same legal responsibility. I would only do so with someone I knew very well. someone I would trust with my back in a confrontation. Anyone that I knew and trusted that well, the various costs of components would be a nonissue.

my$.02

Imis

Neither Is had to do both can have the number of step so if all you are proving is the labor I think 50 shot shell per two hundred hardball would be fair as that usually the ammo count for a ten stage match.

This was not really intended to be a legal, ethical, political or religious issue. Yeah, I know it is the SASS wire, so you get what you get :) Thought I would respond to Blackey since he and Grizzly Dave were the ones interested in addressing the original post. BG states that both "can" have the same number of steps in the reloading process which would be so if the answer to GD's question is "comparable".

Depends on what machine each is using.

So, the original question becomes, if all that's being swapped is the labor involved and the number of operations performed are the same, why isn't X=1000? The number of rounds required to shoot a match would seem to be irrelevant.

To break down the steps bot start by decamping and priming at the first stage the next stage drops the powder next for hardball you place a bullet with shotshell you place the wad, next is seating the bullet or seating the wad and dropping shot next is crimping the hardball round or crimping the shotshell. I use a Dillon 550 and a MEC 600 iirc both are five station presses iirc. The MEC does one action on the down stroke and the next on the upstroke. Like deprive on the down prime on the up, next it drops powder on the down that's one of the few that doesn't have a upstroke action both are manual advance.

While I would not reload for others, nor use others ammo (except for a very select few) I would think a match worth if shotgun vs a match worth of cartridges would be about right.