SASS Wire Forum

INVISIBLE CLUBS

Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life

I still shoot at some clubs that have disappeared from the SASS website. El Buscaderos in Spirit Lake, Idaho, Big Fork in Montana, West of Butte, etc. still shoot but seem to have left SASS. Are there lots of others? :blink:

Freegrazers. El Buscaderos were finally evicted from the range , but moved to another location not far away. Ill only shoot sass affiliated clubs, like new regulators in colville or windy plains drifters north of my farm. I can travel south or west, and there's plenty of sass clubs to choose from. There's something in the water with the clubs north of me. When they were sass affiliated, they didn't know or follow a lot of sass rules anyway. The only two clubs north of me that are truly trying to do the right thing are the two clubs I've already mentioned. Lunger

Are we talking a lot of money to be affiliated? Is it by membership numbers or a straight fee?I guess if it was critical for me to know somebody would have told me. Now you made me curious

Imis

No, its not a lot of money. There's tons of ways for a club to throw in a few dollars. One of the clubs that I mentioned thought it was too much, and dropped sass over it. I wrote a noteas to why they should reconsider, and sent them a check to pay for the whole thing, and then some. They now understand, and will keep it going on their own in the future. I'm proud of that club for getting new shooters involved, buying up to date steel that's safe, and putting their money towards improving their club, and creating a good environment for new shooters to get involved. I'm a life member as of a couple yrs ago, but still want to help out where I can. This club was a good place to spend a few dollars, as they are trying to grow, and help others. Lunger

Our local club went "dark" when SASS demanded a min $100 yearly from our 15 members to remain on the "affiliated" list. Unfortunately, they offered us NOTHING in return. We are too small to have annual shoots, and struggle to maintain our insurance and equipment. Thus they had nothing to offer for the money demanded. We still shoot, still follow the "rules", and enjoy the comradrie without someone picking our pockets.

Al

I would gladly pitch in an extra $5, $10 on an annual club fee to help cover the cost of SASS club dues. Shoot, some years I might even offer to pay the whole $100.

I'm loving SASS even though I only joined late in 2014. Finally joined a local club now that we're not on gipsy mode.

Now just have to get that SASS Life Membership thing worked out.

Lost Trail, if everyone threw in like you will after you become a life member, the whole sport would thrive. More of us should be pitching in, and helping out. All of us should be! I wouldn't even have met my closest friends if it weren't for sass, and it's brought my wife and I closer, its helped our wounded vets, and scholarships for our youth. We shouldn't be Freegrazers.

• Like 1

15 people in a yrs time can't come up with a 100 dollar bill? Sass advertises your club around the globe for starters.

It wasn't the 100 bill, it was what we got for the 100. We were supposed to get periodic communications with HQ, names of new SASS members in our area, notices of local and regional happenings etc. What we got BEFORE the demand for the 100, NADA!!!! What we could expect after paying the "fee", more of the same, since we didn't sponsor an annual, we were ignored. I, personally, am a life member, and 12 of the rest are members, We still encourage joining, and support the larger local clubs. Just don't pay the tithe.

Al (26238 Life)

We are part of a much larger shooting club, and as such, have limited range use time. Thus, a multi day shoot is out of the question.

Best to all, and a good shooting year ahead.

Al

15 people in a yrs time can't come up with a 100 dollar bill? Sass advertises your club around the globe for starters.

Medical insurance is now 100% higher for my wife and I, then what was for our family of four.

County temporary wheel tax made permanent and increased.

School property taxes increases, it's for the children!

Deducible for the wife's surgery.

18 month old grandson needing a rifle soon.

Yah it "just" another $100 for SASS membership and "just" another $65 for individual SASS membership.

I made the proposal for a dollar per shooter go to SASS from every monthly match, then non-SASS and life members would pay for the privilege of having SASS affiliation.

Never got a response from HQ. The appearance of beating up on small clubs was a turn off and many smaller clubs just bailed on SASS along with their members.

Alienating clubs by overcharging them and not recognizing their hard work will be the beginning of many non-SASS affiliated shooting events, it's already happening, and there is much talk. The $5.00 per shooter surcharge was not a good idea either. I recall when SASS had less than 10K members, a quality quarterly magazine and lower annual fees. We have over 3 times as many active shooters and they want more and more $$$, and shooters had to beg to get a real magazine after the digital version failed to attract advertisers.

One of our local clubs had over 1000 shooters this year, several others had 300-400. A dollar each is a much better money maker than charging clubs a set $100 fee. Pretty sure there are 3-4 fewer Wyoming clubs than before the fees were implemented.

• Like 1

It's only $50 bucks for the year and very sad that anyone posting on the wire can justify why their club can't come up with $50 bucks for the YEAR to support the organization who created the sport we participate in. Who gave us years of enjoyment and friendships can't justify why to send $50 bucks for the year!! For that 15 person club. That's like $3.50 per person???? The same people who spend thousands on guns, leather & ammo. It's all what have you don't for us lately, how about what they have done for us all for over the last 25 years!

Last year I changed my monthly match fees and gave a discount of $5 off match fees for sass members and hinted to those to join sass because I'll pay the first $40 bucks( $5 times 8 matches). Had some people who refused to shoot because the felt I was charging them more because they weren't sass member. Refused to join sass again because said they "weren't getting anything", yet still wore the sass badge got along time ago, used the sass alias and attended many sass state shoots over the years and had a large group of friends they never had before sass. Weren't getter my anything??? BS. Sass gave them a lifetime of stuff. What I came to understand, some people just like to complain about everything and are never happy. I say. Good riddance! (Now off my soapbox)

• Like 3

Our club sent SASS $100, the fee depends on the percentage of club members that are active SASS members. There is really no way to audit the number of active members. I know $50-100 bucks isn't much. To many clubs it's the principal and they just bailed. I'm pretty sure there is a big annual event that is not affiliated and it is well attended by non-SASS members and current members alike.

Many of the people who initially join SASS, let their membership lapse after getting their badge, and continue to participate will also find a reason to not support the NRA. Not all of course but a disproportionate number.

FWIW, El Buscaderos was never "evicted". The lease was simply not renwed so they moved to a new location nearby.

My main club paid the fee but not sure for what!!! :unsure:

Our club sent SASS $100, the fee depends on the percentage of club members that are active SASS members. There is really no way to audit the number of active members. I know $50-100 bucks isn't much. To many clubs it's the principal and they just bailed. I'm pretty sure there is a big annual event that is not affiliated and it is well attended by non-SASS members and current members alike.

$100 bucks was 2015, 2106 was only $50

In an effort to simplify the process and eliminate any misunderstanding, there is a change in the pricing structure this year- as a result of your requests and feedback, the affiliation fee is a flat $50; regardless of your SASS membership status within your club members

Again no excuses not to support the organization that created what we love to do!

• Like 1

Now that we are settled in North Texas (until the move back home to MT), I found a club I like and joined. The range they use is shared by 2 clubs, one shoots 2nd weekend of month, the other club the 4th weekend. I will be joining the second club also.

I understand the rising costs of everything. We own a small business with 4 employees. Our healthcare premiums were $2,045/month in January 2016, jumped to $3,235/month in June 2016 and now $3,740/month as of January 2017. But at least our deductibles and out of pocket increased while coverage decreased.

Affordable Care Act my a$$.

Fortunately, we are in a position to still be making it all work, so far, by the grace of God.

I don't begrudge anyone that makes different decisions than I do. Everyone has to evaluate their own situation. I will do what I can as long as I can to help this sport thrive.

Edited by Lost Trail

There is no SASS fee for our club. You must be a SASS member to shoot with us on a long term basis. (Newbies get a grace period.) Last year I sent in a list of members, their alias and SASS number. Since we are 100% SASS members, there was no charge to the club to be affiliated with SASS.

So, basically the club members that are too cheap to pay their dues to SASS cause the clubs to pay a fee for them. I don't think I want to shoot with people who are like that.

JFN

Our club is also 100% SASS members. We opted to give SASS $100. I can understand that some clubs have little money and can't afford to pay additional fees. As for state level and above shoots, members must be current in order to participate, and a list of shooters is sent to SASS HQ in order to comply. Many don't shoot at SASS sanctioned events and clubs don't check or care if shooters are current. Everyone is not "too cheap" to pay dues they just can't afford the dues or can use that money towards other family obligations. To me it sounds like an elitist to challenge someone's financial situation. There are black market shoots and clubs on the rise due to the lack of compassion from SASS through increased fees.

If what you're saying is true, they shouldn't be blowing the rent money at a shoot. Never would have believed that a club of people couldn't come up with 50, or 100 dollars in a yrs time. A lot of clubs shoot twice per month, collecting money from the shooters every couple weeks too. Makes no sense, and everyone knows it. Lunger

If what you're saying is true, they shouldn't be blowing the rent money at a shoot. Never would have believed that a club of people couldn't come up with 50, or 100 dollars in a yrs time. A lot of clubs shoot twice per month, collecting money from the shooters every couple weeks too. Makes no sense, and everyone knows it. Lunger

I don't think they are saying they can't come up with the money, but rather that they feel they aren't getting anything in return for the money.

We are part of a much larger shooting club, and as such, have limited range use time. Thus, a multi day shoot is out of the question.

Best to all, and a good shooting year ahead.

Al

The club in Mesa, Az has the same issue but still puts on a yearly match all in one day. They shoot 7 or 8 stages, and give awards for stages plus SASS category awards. The have side matches before and after the 8 stages plus top gun shoot offs with a catered dinner to follow. Some of the stages are unique, one all shotgun, another all pistol with reloads, another all rifle with reloads. These 3 had some knockdowns. They all fell with 105 g bullets. They give out a number of prizes via drawing at the dinner, some pretty nice, like Dillon stuff, no guns.

The club in Mesa, Az has the same issue but still puts on a yearly match all in one day. They shoot 7 or 8 stages, and give awards for stages plus SASS category awards. The have side matches before and after the 8 stages plus top gun shoot offs with a catered dinner to follow. Some of the stages are unique, one all shotgun, another all pistol with reloads, another all rifle with reloads. These 3 had some knockdowns. They all fell with 105 g bullets. They give out a number of prizes via drawing at the dinner, some pretty nice, like Dillon stuff, no guns.

GCK, I laud the club for doing this. BUT, here again, crops up the problem we have. We have CAS range space for only 4 stages, and we get to use it ONE day a month, for approx. 6 hrs, and have to remove ALL targets etc from the range at the end of the shooting day. Pray tell me how we could put on an annual?? I asked the same question of SASS and received NO REPLY.

• Like 1

GCK, I laud the club for doing this. BUT, here again, crops up the problem we have. We have CAS range space for only 4 stages, and we get to use it ONE day a month, for approx. 6 hrs, and have to remove ALL targets etc from the range at the end of the shooting day. Pray tell me how we could put on an annual?? I asked the same question of SASS and received NO REPLY.

The 7 to 8 stages above are all shot on 4 bays. The targets are set the afternoon before each monthly shoot (and the annual) and removed immediately following shooting.