SASS Wire Forum

Pedersoli lightning

shotguntom

It is a great amount of information.  I finally with push stick got 10 rounds of 357 length rounds in the 20 " Pedersoli.  Worked fine not a hiccup.

Worked with 38 spl with Hunter Supply 162g.  I think even better as the nose is quite a bit smaller than the chamber.

Regular 38sp rifle locks up.  Did not expect different.

Hopefully the spring will relax so getting rounds 9 and 10 does not require such a struggle.

Oh I replaced the follower with the Armorers Edge delrin one.

Lost Vaquero...

Yes, a push stick is really helpful. I use a small piece of antler with the end rounded and keep it in a loop in my gun belt.

While the design of the cartridge retaining lever allows the Lightning to accept a range of bullet lengths, it is ideal to stay as close to the intended OAL as possible. The .357 version was designed for a cartridge OAL of 1.60˝ - and you can load a bit shorter than that. However, while it is generally accepted that a "... .357 gun will also shoot .38 ...", proper feeding and positioning on the lifter - at speed - depends on the cartridge properly fitting the length of the lifter, and seating properly under the two side guides. .38SPEC rounds with short bullets (like 96g) can slide forward and either stove-pipe or get its rim hung up between the lifter the side guides. Note also that Pedersoli's Lightning is stamped ".357."  and not ".357/38". So, it is best to load .357s, or .38s with heavier lead - like 125g - and keep the length as close to 1.60˝ as possible (with a good crimp, of course).

Set up right, these are great rifles!

...RR

• Like 1

I have two suggestions for those of you whom are shooting Lightnings in .45 Colt.  Everybody knows 45 Colt cases don't expand enough to seal the chamber and prevent gobs of Blow-By.  Suggestion # 1 > Anneal your cases.  Nice soft annealed cases will seal up and stop Blow-By.  Start with 44-40 cases and fire form them to 45 Colt (very easy).  The 44-40 cases will also seal in a 45 Colt chamber and stop the Blow-By.  The rifle will run as clean as a 44-40.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LostVaquero said:

I have been looking for antler pusher no luck.

With Hunter Supply 162g rounds are 1.54

Yep good tight crimp, learned that the hard way as well

PM sent.

1 hour ago, LostVaquero said:

I have been looking for antler pusher no luck.

Here is one of my Lightning pushers.  This one is made from a .30-30 and some aluminum rod.  Fits in a cartridge loop.

DSC_0004.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Roger Rapid, I recently purchased a Pedersoli Lightning 20" octagon carbine in 44-40. I have yet to shoot it and would like to be able to disassemble it afterwards for cleaning. Could you please send me a copy of your booklet to this email: yndar30@gmail.com .

Thanks in advance, 

2 Barrels Bob

2 Barrels Bob...

On it's way to your email - enjoy!

RR

• 8 months later...

Hello Roger and all who have a copy of his detailed assembly,

would you mind sending me a copy of the detailed assembly, disassembly for the Pedersoli Lightning?

I just purchased a carbine with 20" barrel in 45 colt and it makes me few problems.

So I Must clean it and hope that it work after normal.

Sorry for my bad englisch, best regards from germany.

cat14994@gmail.com

James

I have 2 lightnings. A USFA in 44.40 and a Petersoli in .357.The Petersoli runs like a dream and the USFA is a difficult customer at the best of times with inconsistent feeding. I need to pull them both apart, as a good clean will help.

Could you please send me a copy of your booklet to this email: terrylynch@ozemail.com.au.

Lost Vaquero...

The firing pins on the .357 models are .060" diameter and are prone to breakage. Rather than replacing it, I'd suggest you install a .45LC firing pin which is .095" dia. The larger diameter of the firing pin end requires drilling the bolt. The larger firing pin runs as well and will not break. I can do it for you if you are concerned about drilling the bolt.

RR

Pardners...

Regarding my assembly/diassembly manual, I'd like to ask that you do not forward it to someone else unless you also provide me with their email address. I send out updates and corrections from time to time - the current version is rev. 15 - and I want to be sure everyone gets the most current version. I promise not to use the email list for any other purpose than to provide updates or information related to the Pedersoli Lightning. (The current version is 28 pages and the PDF file is 9M.)

Thanks...

RR

Pedersoli Lightning afficianados (lovers) Roger Rapids manual is a must have. If you’re going to run one as your main match rifle you have to know how to tear it down and clean it and repair it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Roger Rapid said:

Lost Vaquero...

The firing pins on the .357 models are .060" diameter and are prone to breakage. Rather than replacing it, I'd suggest you install a .45LC firing pin which is .095" dia. The larger diameter of the firing pin end requires drilling the bolt. The larger firing pin runs as well and will not break. I can do it for you if you are concerned about drilling the bolt.

RR

Thanks I contacted Pedersoli and they say that VTI should have pins in stock.  I have a gunsmith locally here that should be able to do that but again thank you.

Good afternoon Roger

I have an old Uberti lightning that would never fire right out of the box, I figured it out and fixed it but I cant get to run as slick as I want it to, I would love a set of your instructions to compare with the information I have gathered over the years on different lightnings .

thanks

Brookfieldae@gmail.com

• 7 months later...
On 1/17/2017 at 8:34 PM, Yul Lose said:

Be sure and remove the butt stock if you flush out the rifle and oil it heavily. A lot of the old long guns you see have weakened or ruined stocks because of the fluids that have gravitated into them when the guns were stood up. The stock comes off very easily on Pedersoli Lightnings.

An easy way to avoid the oiling of rifle and shotgun stocks is to store the guns muzzle down.  It looks funny, but the oil stays on the metal parts, where you intended it to go.   I usually run a swab or bore mop down the barrel after storing for any length of time.   The oil can accumulate and gum up in the chamber.  

• Like 1

While this topic has popped up.  I did as Roger suggested and got the 45 firing pin installed.  Works great. 

On the Pedersoli FB page someone complained of the same thing, (357 firing pin broke), so I put up Roger's answer and that I had mine done.

One of the comments was from Pedersoli folks themselves that gave it the thumbs up as best solution.

Again Roger, thank you, thank you!!!

PS I now mostly use the rifle for attempting to shoot little steel chickens, rams, turkeys and pigs.  I was using 357 mag with TB and 125g bullets but one of the guys that is a lot better than I am suggested using a heavier bullet so going to go back to trying the Hunters supply 162g bullets.

Edited by LostVaquero

3 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

An easy way to avoid the oiling of rifle and shotgun stocks is to store the guns muzzle down.  It looks funny, but the oil stays on the metal parts, where you intended it to go.   I usually run a swab or bore mop down the barrel after storing for any length of time.   The oil can accumulate and gum up in the chamber.  

To each his own, I guess.

• 7 months later...
45 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Just out of curiosity, is there a magazine spacer/plug that limits capacity?  I have an AWA in .44-40 that it was very difficult to load round 9 and 10.   After I removed the plug, they went in fine and magazine capacity increased to 14.

Yes. The fix is easy.

For Roger Rapid:  requesting a copy of your booklet on the Lightning rifle  be sent to me at dacus75@yahoo.com.  Also, mine is a USFA Lightning.  Do you have any idea if Uberti or Pedersoli parts will fit it, or can be adapted to fit it?  (I don't  need any at the moment, but since USFA is out of business, I know that I can't get any from them.)  Thanks in advance.

Hi Old Grouch... 

I'll send you a copy of my Taurus manual (24 pages). The Taurus "ThunderBolt" Lightning is more similar to the AWA version - the Uberti and Pedersoli internal workings are quite different from each other, and from the AWA version.

Uberti or Pedersoli parts will NOT fit the AWA version. (I have also prepared detailed manuals for the Uberti and Pedersoli Lightnings.)

On its way to you.

Stay Healthy!

RR

• Like 1

Hey Moderators:

I recommend that this thread be PINNED to help other Lightning owners and operators.

Roger's instructions have saved many of us a lot of frustration and heartache.

Thanks Roger.

Edited by Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Shot my Pedersoli Lightning 44/40 this weekend with BP ran GREAT.Got Rogers book & went part way with it to smooth it up.

Anybody with a Lightning needs Rogers books.

THANKS Roger.

Largo

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi Rodger,

I too just purchased a Pedersoli Lightning and would like to get your book.  I sent you a PM with Email and mailing address.  I grew up being taught to shoot on my grandfathers 1906 Winchester and was awestruck to learn about the lightning.  For me at least it feels more natural than a lever, but that was what I was taught on.  I still have that rifle and for being over 100 years old I have never experienced a hiccup with it.  I found one in .44-40 which is what the rest of my rig is in.  Now I'm just waiting for iot to arrive at my FFL.

Frank Moon

• 1 month later...