SASS Wire Forum

Pedersoli lightning

shotguntom

I have a Pedersoli lightning rifle that has developed an odd problem. Hoping someone may be able to shed some light on it.

With the mag tube loaded, it wil chamber the first round fine. After firing, I rack it hard, but the carrier comes up empty. No cartridge on it. I then can drop the hammer, repeat the racking motion, and the next round from mag tube is there. Fire again, same scenario. No cartridge, rerack and its there.

Any thoughts as to what may be causing this?

I've been running this gun for a while, and never an issue. I did just disassemble the mag tube and cleaned it well. Didnt see anything ab normal

Thanks

I think the innards are dirty. Get a can of spray gun scrubber.

Soak it down real good. Then use compressed air and blow it out.

Then a light spray of oil.

Thats what I do when mine acts up.

• Like 1

There reallly isn't that much inside. If you look at this diagram part 40 is the cartridge stop. It is a finger that pops un behind the cartriges to keep them from coming out of the magazine tube. When you pump to the rear a spring forces the finger up and it blocks the cartridges. When the pump is pushed forward the bolt pushes the finger down and a cartridge is released onto the carrier. Something is wrong with that finger. Might just need cleaning. Take it apart and inspect the insides. You did not mention what caliber you are shooting. If you just recently took the magazine tube out and it is a .357 did you put the mag tube reducer back in?

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/uploads/prodotti/S-V-L_924.pdf

• Like 1

There reallly isn't that much inside. If you look at this diagram part 40 is the cartridge stop. It is a finger that pops un behind the cartriges to keep them from coming out of the magazine tube. When you pump to the rear a spring forces the finger up and it blocks the cartridges. When the pump is pushed forward the bolt pushes the finger down and a cartridge is released onto the carrier. Something is wrong with that finger. Might just need cleaning. Take it apart and inspect the insides. You did not mention what caliber you are shooting. If you just recently took the magazine tube out and it is a .357 did you put the mag tube reducer back in?

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/uploads/prodotti/S-V-L_924.pdf

Caliber is 45 Colt. I know exactly what little finger you mean. I did try to clean it and press down on it to see if its sticking. It didnt seem to be, but im inclined to believe you assessment is right. Thanks to all who posted a reply. Much appreciated

As usual Mr. Pettifogger is 100% right.

If you can take it apart and get it back together

that is what you need to do.

I have never been any good at it so I just hose mine out.

Good luck whatever you do.

Let us know if you get it resolved.

• Like 1

As Larsen stated, try a good cleaning first. If that doesn't correct the problem, contact Lee Shaver who is the Pedersoli warranty guy in the U.S.. He is a very nice guy and will be glad to help you.

• Like 1

Be sure and remove the butt stock if you flush out the rifle and oil it heavily. A lot of the old long guns you see have weakened or ruined stocks because of the fluids that have gravitated into them when the guns were stood up. The stock comes off very easily on Pedersoli Lightnings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Larsen stated, try a good cleaning first. If that doesn't correct the problem, contact Lee Shaver who is the Pedersoli warranty guy in the U.S.. He is a very nice guy and will be glad to help you.

I actually have detailed instructions for disassembly of the Pedersoli. Some time back, Yul Lose sent them to me, along with a short primer from Lee Shaver. It looks like its time to dive into this rifle. Im a bit anxious about it, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I will post the final outcome.

Larsen's appraisal is close to the bullseye; actually, when the carriage feeding shaft (the long shaft that is attached to the fore grip) is pushed forward, the cartridge retaining lever is pushed down by a small ramp in the bottom of the feeding shaft. With a .45LC version, two things are possible: 1) the ramp on the feeding shaft is not pushing the cartridge retaining lever down far enough for it to clear the rim of the cartridge. (If your rifle has been slicked, it is possible that the person who did the slicking smoothed down the ramp on the cartridge retaining lever too much preventing it from going down as far as it should). 2) the cartridges are binding at the end of the tubular magazine - where it meets the action - and the cartridges are not making their way properly to the cartridge retaining lever.

Because of the array of small parts and springs and well fitted parts, the Pedersoli Lightning is prone to running poorly if not cleaned regularly - especially when shooting the low-power, dirty powders we use in CAS.

I have a detailed assembly, disassembly, and slicking document (18 pages) for the Pedersoli Lightning which I'm happy to share, no charge. If you're interested, please PM me with your regular email address and I'll send it to you PDF (5Megs).

Here's a photo of the cartridge retaining lever - you can see it at the very bottom of the cartridge in this .357 Pedersoli version.

Best,

Roger

retaining%20lever.jpg

Edited by Roger Rapid
  • Like 1

Roger I sent you a pm with my email address. I have some directions that Yul Lose had sent me, but I suppose you can never have too much information.

Regards,

TJ

I actually have detailed instructions for disassembly of the Pedersoli. Some time back, Yul Lose sent them to me, along with a short primer from Lee Shaver. It looks like its time to dive into this rifle. Im a bit anxious about it, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I will post the final outcome.

Roger Rapids booklet is far more detailed than the information that I sent you, Tom. Between the two you won't have any problem. One caution is don't dry fire the rifle with the lower frame and trigger group removed from the upper frame. Doing so will cause the ears on the rocker arm to snap off and then you have to replace the rocker arm. Don't ask me how I know this (twice).

• Sad 2

Yul Lose - thanks for bringing up subject of the rocker arm. Just an FYI that Pedersoli Lightnings with serial numbers after about PL02000 (I'm trying to get data on the exact Sr# when the change was made) use a different rocker arm and a different hammer (to work with the new rocker arm) - and the rocker arm and hammer are the same for either .45LC or .357/.38. I'm soon to send out a updated assembly/disassembly document to everyone on my list, and it will have photos of the new rocker arm. Aside from the fact that the new rocker arm is heavier (which you won't know unless you have the earlier version at hand), the new one has two holes in the bottom, and a small coil spring goes in one of them. The previous version does not have this coil spring. So, if you're ordering a rocker arm or hammer, you'll need to tell your vendor (VTI, etc.) whether it's the new or old version.

RR

PS: Yul Lose - I have a good friend who has one of your carts and LOVES it. (And I'm trying to figure out how to steal it from him!!!!) :)

Edited by Roger Rapid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An update. A million thanks to Roger Rapid, and Yul Lose for taking the time to send me instructions to work on the rifle. I was actually amazed how easy it was to disassemble, and reassemble my Lightning.

It was FILTHY inside. Took me about an hour from start to finish. Well worth the effort. It feels like a completely different rifle. Really slick now, and my feed issue is gone. Trump was inaugurated, and I went shooting. A great dayy all around.

Again, than you!!!

TJ

An update. A million thanks to Roger Rapid, and Yul Lose for taking the time to send me instructions to work on the rifle. I was actually amazed how easy it was to disassemble, and reassemble my Lightning.

It was FILTHY inside. Took me about an hour from start to finish. Well worth the effort. It feels like a completely different rifle. Really slick now, and my feed issue is gone. Trump was inaugurated, and I went shooting. A great dayy all around.

Again, than you!!!

TJ

The .45 has a lot of blow-by. Now that you know how to take it apart you will be able to keep it clean and happy.

• Like 1

Speaking of Pedersoli Lightnings I just picked up my first round barrel model in. 45 Colt. I like the way it handles versus the heavier Octagon model.

Yul Lose...

I have a carbine (20") in .45LC and love it. Over time I actually found it to be too light and since it is the left hand that is working the fore grip - and moving the gun around while it does - I wanted more weight at the end to the barrel to steady the gun, so I got a 26" with octagon barrel, and it really does make a difference. Not that I love the extra weight, but I do love that it is noticeably steadier.

...RR

This one is a 26" round barrel, Roger. All of my others are 20" or 24" octagonal barrel.

Oops - just re-reading this post. In a previous comment about the holes under the new rocker arm, I said that "... and a spring goes in one of them." I meant to say that "... a spring goes in each one of them." (That is, there are two springs). You can certainly remove one of them and the rifle will run fine.

RR

• 7 months later...

Hi Roger I wonder if I could get a copy as well.  I recently acquired a Pedersolli Lightning in 44-40.  My email is chuckm@sasktel.net

Thanks GB 

Hello togehther, i have the Pedersolli Lightning in 45LC. I have the same Problem as shotguntom. I use lot of gun scrubber. It it possible to solve the Problem without disassembling the gun. And if I have to disassembling the gun can you send the booklet to the email link below Roger? Thanks

312lsa@web.de

Lighting45LC...

I don't think there is a long-term positive way to clean the Lightning without fully disassembling the rifle.  Just squirting any type of cleaner (Ballistol, brake cleaner, Remington oil, etc.) inside the gun only serves to move debris from one point to another and eventually causes build-up where you don't want it. I strongly urge looking at a full teardown as your friend - and tearing the gun all the way down every three or four matches (at the most) to make it run smooth and slick. With a little practice you can have a Lightning fully disassembled, cleaned, and re-assembled in 40-45 minutes. The Pedersoli Lightning can be made to run as smooth and fast as any lever gun.

And... I should add that the straight-cased rounds (45LC, .38/.357) typically run dirtier than the necked cases (44-40, 38-40).

RR

PS: I sent a copy of the disassembly/reassembly document to your email.

Edited by Roger Rapid

Lightning45LC...

If by "optics" you are referring to sights, you can mount any front or rear sight with a 3/8" (9.5mm) dovetail on a Pedersoli Lightning rifle. Some fitting may be required. As to the type or style, that's really up to your personal preference.

...RR

Plus one on the careful cleaning.   While my Lighting is an AWA, (.45 Colt) and therefore probably different on the insides, I will say that keeping it clean keeps it working.   The gun has never worked incorrectly for me with one annoying exception.  Last time I used it, there were a couple of times when I chambered a new round, pulled the trigger, and it didn't go bang, and I just automatically worked the action, ejecting the live round to chamber a new one.   Lost a few rounds that time.   :(

So, when I got it home, I gave the bolt/firing pin a VERY careful cleaning with Gun Scrubber spray.  Cleaned out a lotta gunk.   But it has worked just fine ever since. 

Run a Lightning?   Keep it clean!   :)

H.K.U.

Thanks, and Yes, the Lightnings are subject to this, especially if you've either lightened the firing pin spring or replaced it with a lighter one. The overall length of the firing pin on these rifles is actually less than the overall length of the bolt - at least they are on the Pedersoli and Uberti versions. The firing pins are driven by inertia - the hammer hits the pin which drives it forward to the primer. If the spring tension is too light AND if there is debris in the firing pin opening or on the pin, the pin may not return far enough to protrude from the back of the bolt which, in turn, means that the hammer can't hit it. 

They are still VERY fun rifles to shoot!!!

...RR

4 hours ago, Roger Rapid said:

H.K.U.

Thanks, and Yes, the Lightnings are subject to this, especially if you've either lightened the firing pin spring or replaced it with a lighter one. The overall length of the firing pin on these rifles is actually less than the overall length of the bolt - at least they are on the Pedersoli and Uberti versions. The firing pins are driven by inertia - the hammer hits the pin which drives it forward to the primer. If the spring tension is too light AND if there is debris in the firing pin opening or on the pin, the pin may not return far enough to protrude from the back of the bolt which, in turn, means that the hammer can't hit it. 

They are still VERY fun rifles to shoot!!!

...RR

Oh, they ARE a lot of fun to shoot.   My first ever clean match was with my Lighting.   End of the Trail two years ago!

• 2 months later...

So here is my issue, I am currently working on a lightning that came into my shop assembled wrong to the point that it wouldn’t come apart. I wound up having to take the barrel off and in the process the extractor tip was broken off. This has been addressed and seems to be working however upon re assembly of the rifle correctly the action won’t close fully without serious forcing and then once fired it won’t open without the same amount of force, I have polished the locking block contact points and all rough spots that were made by the customer. I was unable to find much on this rifle online I’ll I came across a thread from this site so I joined up to see if I could get some help before I wind up admitting defeat and returning a non functioning rifle to my customer. Any help or information is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Ol’ Smith

1 hour ago, Ol’ Smith said:

So here is my issue, I am currently working on a lightning that came into my shop assembled wrong to the point that it wouldn’t come apart. I wound up having to take the barrel off and in the process the extractor tip was broken off. This has been addressed and seems to be working however upon re assembly of the rifle correctly the action won’t close fully without serious forcing and then once fired it won’t open without the same amount of force, I have polished the locking block contact points and all rough spots that were made by the customer. I was unable to find much on this rifle online I’ll I came across a thread from this site so I joined up to see if I could get some help before I wind up admitting defeat and returning a non functioning rifle to my customer. Any help or information is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Ol’ Smith

Do you have Roger Rapids Pedersoli Lightning manual? It will be a big help to you.

PM me your e mail address and I’ll send it to you.

The Lightning will lock up on re-assembly if the "bolt block" (the part that hangs from the bottom of the bolt) is not engaged in its opening in the "carriage feeding shaft". As such, the "carriage feeding shaft" cannot release the bolt block (and bold) when the foregrip is pulled back. Releasing it is a rather simple matter of reaching into the magazine's opening with a small "L" shaped wire and pushing the bolt block back to unlock it (the process is described and there is a photo of the wire in my Pedersoli Document). Happy to send you a copy - or it looks like YL might send you one.

Hard to tell why the action is being clumsy now but PM me and we can discuss the details off line and then come back on with a solution to share with others.

Best,

Roger

• 2 months later...

Hi John White - be glad to send it.

Please PM me your email address - the document is 5.6M and 27 pages long.

Best,

Roger