SASS Wire Forum

Other Henry Repeating Arms guns

El Hombre Sin Nombre

I just got this email from HRA announcing some new guns and I was wondering if any are legal. The ones I am interested in are the single shot shotguns and the single shot rifles:

I would think both the single shot

Rifle and shotgun would be .

They both have a exposed hammer 🙄

Now that the Handi-Rifle is out of production they look like a viable replacement. I wonder if they will have an ejector? Didn't see any mention in the description. Shucks, I re-read the ad and it says extractor.

Edited by Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933

One has to wonder why they did not make a nice double. Has to be a bigger market for them than a single shot.

The rifle would be about like a H&R Handi rifle. Legal for plainsman, not for Cody Dixon.

One has to wonder why they did not make a nice double. Has to be a bigger market for them than a single shot.

The rifle would be about like a H&R Handi rifle. Legal for plainsman, not for Cody Dixon.

The way they are doing with two single barrel long guns they only need to make one receiver for both. Just different barrels. ???

Why is this not legal for Cody-Dixon?

I got my eye on the Frontier lever .22 with the threaded barrel. Not for CAS, but just as another .22 host when playing with the supressors.

Totes

24" barrel seems long for something you want to attach a suppressor to. Plus it only holds ten rounds :/

Why is this not legal for Cody-Dixon?

Not sure about the Henry. I know the H&Rs are not Cody Dixon legal. Given the very simular design, I'm guessing they would not be legal either, but I'm not the one making those rules.

Not sure about the Henry. I know the H&Rs are not Cody Dixon legal. Given the very simular design, I'm guessing they would not be legal either, but I'm not the one making those rules.

I didn't find any SASS rules for Cody Dixon & I know of a club here in Tx that allows them so I think it's up to the individual club.

I didn't find any SASS rules for Cody Dixon & I know of a club here in Tx that allows them so I think it's up to the individual club.

You are correct in no "official" SASS rules for Cody Dixon. My understanding is this category was started by the good folks at the Texas Historical Shooting Society, and they made the rules. I have heard some clubs do allow H&Rs. As you said, since its not an official SASS category each club can make their own rules. I have found that the clubs I shoot C-D at use the THSS rules.

http://www.thss.org/rules/cody-dixon-rules/

C-D is my favorite category to shoot. Just something about the thump of that big bore rifle. I use a 45-70 Marlin 1895. I have a H&R Buffalo Classic, but it is not legal (at least at THSS) I just bought an 1885 HiWall in 38-55, it would be a "legal" C-D single shot rifle

You are correct in no "official" SASS rules for Cody Dixon. My understanding is this category was started by the good folks at the Texas Historical Shooting Society, and they made the rules. I have heard some clubs do allow H&Rs. As you said, since its not an official SASS category each club can make their own rules. I have found that the clubs I shoot C-D at use the THSS rules.

http://www.thss.org/rules/cody-dixon-rules/

C-D is my favorite category to shoot. Just something about the thump of that big bore rifle. I use a 45-70 Marlin 1895. I have a H&R Buffalo Classic, but it is not legal (at least at THSS) I just bought an 1885 HiWall in 38-55, it would be a "legal" C-D single shot rifle

I used to shoot at a non-sass club that allowed big bore for main match rifle. I also used my marlin 1895, with black powder too. I could not agree with you more about the thump. Man was that fun. The range closed down though, unfortunately.

I used to shoot at a non-sass club that allowed big bore for main match rifle. I also used my marlin 1895, with black powder too. I could not agree with you more about the thump. Man was that fun. The range closed down though, unfortunately.

RK, by chance would that have been the Chabot club...? :mellow:

RK, by chance would that have been the Chabot club...? :mellow:

It is indeed. About a 15 minutes from my house. I loved that range. The cas shoot was unique for sure. Besides the big bore rifles, 97 or 87's were stoked so you got to run them fast and hard. All targets were much further than sass and had 10 second penalties for missing. They would have some fun stages too, like 15-20 rifle targets and allow 2 rifles or loading on the clock. Same with pistols sometimes. It really was a great match and will be missed.

My blood boils when I think of the range's fate... I haunted that place for years.

#&$^% j@cka$$es! :angry:

45-70 out of a 7 pound rifle...ouch.

I load my H&R with about 30 gr of Pinnacle, filler and a 200 gr cowboy bullet with a couple layers of Alox to fatten it up a bit. Good on 16" plates out to over 75 yds. Runs at about 1100 fps. Sweet load.

I load my H&R with about 30 gr of Pinnacle, filler and a 200 gr cowboy bullet with a couple layers of Alox to fatten it up a bit. Good on 16" plates out to over 75 yds. Runs at about 1100 fps. Sweet load.

That doesn't sound too bad. I was thinking more along the lines of more modern production loads for hunting. Of course, my right shoulder isn't what it used to be.