SASS Wire Forum

Making 45 CS Cowboy Special Cases from 45 Colts

Hans Christian

Any advice?

Trim dies are pricey and require an extended shellholder. I am blessed to have a Lyman power case trimmer though.....

I may only make 2-300 and only for Ruger pistols. We'll probably use 200-230 gr .454" bullets with Red Dot or 700x.

Thanks

Hans

Find the nearest Harbor Freight store. They sell a power chainsaw sharpener that is basically a 4" chop saw. Buzzes through brass like butter for $25. Clean up and finish with your Lyman.

For Ruger pistols? I just use Schofield brass unless you just really want super shorties.

If you have a power trimmer, you got it licked. I have about 200 that another pard trimmed, I don't know if he reamed the inside or not... but they load easy enough, right along with my factory C45S brass.

Go to Harbor freight and get their mini chopsaw about $40, then make you a small jig that will fit in it's vice, make it out of metal or wood, metal hold up longer, drill a hole the size of the 45 case and then cut the jig to the length that you want the case to be, 45acp length. Off set the hole some but you will have to rotate the brass some to cut all the way through, then just de-bur the brass

Certainly no inside reaming is needed to shoot in revolvers. And I can't see where it would be needed in rifle either, as the .45 Colt chamber dimensions are VERY large.

Chop saw and a jig to get close - then a case trimmer to get right on (0.898"). And a mouth deburring tool to take of the burrs!

We'll probably use 200-230 gr .454" bullets with Red Dot or 700x.

MUCH less recoil loading a 160 to 175 grain bullet, which is now fairly easy to find! I've used both of those powders. Crimp tightly.

Good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

Certainly no inside reaming is needed to shoot in revolvers. And I can't see where it would be needed in rifle either, as the .45 Colt chamber dimensions are VERY large.

Chop saw and a jig to get close - then a case trimmer to get right on (0.898"). And a mouth deburring tool to take of the burrs!

MUCH less recoil loading a 160 to 175 grain bullet, which is now fairly easy to find! I've used both of those powders. Crimp tightly.

Good luck, GJ

Yes, good plan on the lightweights. I cast my own, so I would need a mould. The throats were reamed on the Rugers, so .454" bullets work best.

I will try the trimmer and see how it goes.

Good luck, GJ

+1...... have made a few { hundreds } cases to supplement my 1,000 plus factory, and what GJ says is good advice! I am now playing with the 155gr cast bullets and 160 along with APP and Black MZ as well as Trail Boss, and 700x. They run through my Dillon with no problem, and like a heavy crimp! Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

I used to cast 45 round balls. They were right around 120 grains. I cut down split necked (not to far) 45 Colt brass to 45 auto rim length. With a mid level volume equivalent loading of 45acp powder recipe, the round ball just burps out the barrel. I did have to experiment to get a load hot enough to raise accuracy.

+1...... have made a few { hundreds } cases to supplement my 1,000 plus factory, and what GJ says is good advice! I am now playing with the 155gr cast bullets and 160 along with APP and Black MZ as well as Trail Boss, and 700x. They run through my Dillon with no problem, and like a heavy crimp! Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

What dies do you use for bullet seating and crimping Captain?

Also, if anyone cares to share bullet and loading data please shoot me a PM.

Thanks Pards

Hans

I cast my own, so I would need a mould.

Accurate Molds makes several designs that would work well in C45S. In fact, they make a mold that I designed and use.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php

See page 11. 45-150S, 45-160S are good candidates. My design is the 45-175B - accurate in my revolvers. Tom at Accurate will cut the mold to drop .454" or even slightly larger if you want. Since he cuts every mold on order.

PMing you my favorite load with 175 grain slug.

Several dies can be mixed and matched to load C45Sp. It is easiest with a full 45 Auto Rim die set - the roll crimp die will be included with that set standard. But this sizes the case down smaller than a .45 Colt die does, The "trick" way to size is use a .45 Colt, and size only far enough down from the mouth to give you tension as you seat the slug. Sizing farther than where the base of the slug sits is just overworking the brass.

Good luck GJ

Accurate Molds makes several designs that would work well in C45S. In fact, they make a mold that I designed and use.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php

See page 11. 45-150S, 45-160S are good candidates. My design is the 45-175B - accurate in my revolvers. Tom at Accurate will cut the mold to drop .454" or even slightly larger if you want. Since he cuts every mold on order.

PMing you my favorite load with 175 grain slug.

Several dies can be mixed and matched to load C45Sp. It is easiest with a full 45 Auto Rim die set - the roll crimp die will be included with that set standard. But this sizes the case down smaller than a .45 Colt die does, The "trick" way to size is use a .45 Colt, and size only far enough down from the mouth to give you tension as you seat the slug. Sizing farther than where the base of the slug sits is just overworking the brass.

Good luck GJ

That looks like a very sensible design Joe. What alloy do you use may I ask? What size does your mould drop?

I was considering trying the #8 180 gr Cowboy bullet from Missouri bullet. It looks very close to the Accurate 45-180D.

Just when I wanted to cut down on moulds, this new project comes up! :P