SASS Wire Forum

ISO first 1873 Rifle / Carbine.. Which one to choose?

2kidsdad

Trying to gather some CAS guns while thinning the herd of some tactical stuff that I've accumulated over the years. When my AR10 sales Im looking to get an 1873 in 45LC.. The top of my budget is about $1000.00. Ive seen that there are different models: Sporting, Competition, Short Rifle, etc. My requirements are that whatever I get is supported by the after market. Something that can be upgraded in the future when and if I feel I need it and it must be reliable.

What should I steer clear of? Should I try to hold out for a factory "competition" rifle / carbine or just something stock and have work done to it later? Thanks for your time..

Everybody will have a different opinion.......

For me a short stroke '66 carbine in 38 spl is what feels the best.

I'd say about 90% of cowboy shooters are not happy with their first choice of a long gun within their first year of shooting.

Borrow & shoot as many guns as is possible before you decide what is correct for YOU !

I got a very nice, used short stroked Cimmaron 73 for $1000 a few of years ago. I felt good about it then and haven't changed my mind. You will probably be able to get a reasonable condition 66 or 73 in your price range, with mods available as finances permit. Hope you enjoy the game.

My$.02

Imis

Chevrolet

I myself prefer the deluxe border rifle I have two and one straight stock 73 Taylors puts out a good gun I got my new one thru long hunter and had him do the work before I even saw the gun.

Edited by Blackey Cole

For a number of years the Uberti '73 short rifle (20" octagon) in .357 shooting .38's was the choice of many champions. Some were cutting them a little shorter and liked that so 18" octagon and 18" half-octagon rifles came into production and are also very popular. These are all available with straight stock or checkered pistol grip, which is strictly personal preferance. The pistol grip rifles cost around $100 more. The carbines with round 19" barrel are popular as well, but not as much as the rifles. The carbines do not have a dovetail front sight so it is not quite as easy to install a bead on front. Also the lighter front end tends to wander a bit for some. A 16" carbine will wander a bit more, but some like those, too. Now enter the '66. Some think it is prettier :) , it has the same action as the '73 and all the same race parts fit. Costs around $100 less than the '73. The '66 does not have the trigger interlock safety so it is possible to fire it out of battery in the heat of things. Doesn't happen often, but is something to consider. The '66 is made in 19" carbine and 20" short rifle. All these guns are available in 24" but not nearly as many shoot those.

You could buy a stock gun and shoot it, then have it slicked up and short stroked, if you want but you will find the springs rather heavy in the Ubertis. Those are easy to adjust if you wish. A "factory" competition rifle from Uberti will be nice but probably not as nice as the ones produced by good 'smiths in our game. And as mentioned above, many buy their rifle through Cody or Longhunter or Pioneer Gun Works, or a number of other fine 'smiths, and it is totally ready to go.

What usually gets mentioned in these discussions and Sam said it first is that it is highly recommended to go to one or more shoots and ask to handle some different guns. The shooters are always happy to show off their gear. That way you find out what feels good in your hands, and that is important. As for myself, I happen to have 16" and 19" carbines and 20" rifles in various calibers and I love them all. None are short stroked, just springs adjusted, but I am fine with that.

I shoot a Codymatic 73 short rifle in 357. It is rifle #5 from my starter Marlin. (Marlin was put out to pasture because it is a 41 mag and it is near impossible to get a black powder bullet for it.) Then 3 66s in varying calibers to the 73.

Dutch Nichols just posted two New 45 cal. 73's in the Classifieds for less than $1,000. They are beautiful rifles with nice checkering. Check one out at Buffalo Arms website. I have used one of them since I started shooting. The 18" barrel is light and fast moving.

If it was a 44-40 it would be hard not to buy one of them.

That's my 2 cents.