SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun for Frontiersman

Gallows Hugh Moore

After I get an action job on my 1860 Armys I will be in need of an appropriate mule eared shotgun. I will be shooting an 1860 Henry rifle along with the C&B revolvers so want to stay as period correct as possible. Would a Cimmaron copy of the Colt double barrel be appropriate? Again I am going for style over speed and maximum fun factor and I like lots of smoke! I already have plenty of brass 2 1/2 inch shells and lots of real black powder!

Good Afternoon:
Yes, the Cimarron is a good choice.

I also have a Pioneer Hammer double that I will list shortly, after my knee surgery.

It is a high end hammer double with 2 barrel sets, 18.5" and 26" in very lightly used condition -- maybe 100 rounds smokeless.

Info about it is here: http://www.pioneer-pac.com/pioneer-shotguns,prp1,8,2

Looking for $1500 shipped

--Dawg

Edited by Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329

That Cimarron (Colt 1878) gun is the same as the TTN hammered double. Stoutest and actually the fastest hammer double to shoot for most cowboys. Go for it. You will be in good company.

Good luck, GJ

You are thinking Frontier Cartridge not Frontiersman

No sir, Blackey Cole is correct about the shotgun. Split Rail who is a National and World Champion Frontiersman uses a hammerless shotgun! ;)

FRONTIERSMAN Any Main Match percussion revolver with non-adjustable sights (Note exceptions listed re: dovetailed sights). (Exception: The 1873 Uberti percussion revolver is not allowed.) Revolvers must be shot duelist or double duelist style. See Duelist description for required shooting technique. Must use blackpowder in all loads (rifle, revolver, and shotgun). Must use a side-by-side, single shot, or lever action shotgun in the main match stages. Any SASS–legal pistol caliber rifle is acceptable.

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

An exposed hammer shotgun is only required for Classic Cowboy.

But, for historical accuracy, hammerless shotguns have been around a LONG time, the boxlock, designed by Anson & Deeley was introduced in 1875. And W.W. Greener introduced their self-cocking shotgun in 1876.

An exposed hammer shotgun is only required for Classic Cowboy.

But, for historical accuracy, hammerless shotguns have been around a LONG time, the boxlock, designed by Anson & Deeley was introduced in 1875. And W.W. Greener introduced their self-cocking shotgun in 1876.

Hammerless shotguns:

Westley Richards 1870

Baker 1881

Remington 1882

Colt 1883

just to name a few.............

I shoot a TTN (now imported by Cimarron) in Frontiersman for the same "Looks right & fun" reasons. I really like it. I have an original Colt 1878 and when I lay them side by side you can see just how close a copy it is! Yes, it is a bit heavy, that means it is solid and durable. The Colt 1878 was a top grade gun in the day; I think this one is too.

I am using a single shot shotgun,

With 1858 Remys and a Henry .

Im slow and makenem choke hee hee hee