SASS Wire Forum

Powder coated bullets?

VICIOUS, SASS#8014

I pretty much cast for all of my pistol calibers. Started powder coating about 3 years ago when I was shooting steel challenge with my 45 acp & had great luck with it, so when I started Cowboy Action shooting I powder coated those bullets as well. I use clear powder so they look like natural lead. I use the shake method, bake them in a convection oven & size then through my star lubri- sizer. Alway have good results. Another benefit of using multiple colors is that if your working up a load, you can use different colors for different powder weights and for different powders. I cast my own bullets because I can get the exact weights I want & close to the bullet diameters I want. (Gotta tip my hat to Tom at Accurate Molds as he will cut you pretty much any bullet you want & the mold quality is one of the best!) I currently shoot 44-40 & 38 Spl but just ordered a 38-40 mold because I just bought a pair of pistols from Reverend Ledslinga! I suppose I could shoot bullets “as cast” but like knowing that what I shoot has been sized for uniformity! I enjoy this part of the shooting sports, knowing that what I shoot is produced by me from start to finish. Kinda makes you even proud of your misses! Lol

I use Hi-tek bullets from Missouri Bullet Company. They are a red brown color. I am happy with them. Are they the same or different than powder coated bullets?

1 hour ago, Lawman Mays said:

I use Hi-tek bullets from Missouri Bullet Company. They are a red brown color. I am happy with them. Are they the same or different than powder coated bullets?

different

check here as there is an entire subforum on this:  http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives