SASS Wire Forum

Powder coated bullets?

VICIOUS, SASS#8014

If you ask really really nice Colorado Jackson might even deliver them. :D:D:D

Cimarron Bullets does and excellent job maintaining a consistent coating his bullets. Stopped by his shop to pick up a special order and he gave me the 25 cent tour. His production process pretty much ensures a consistently repeatable high quality product.

Yes i will, I always have 10 or 12k with me and will deliver to any range I shoot at or can meet anywhere in the metroplex......no charge!

there is the option of doing your own.

Over on Cast Boolits ( http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives) they have a subsection called Coatings and Alternatives that deals with this process.

Actually there are two: Hi-Tek and tumble coating in a #5 plastic container with AirSoft BBs and the powder.

I do all of mine except the BP ones.

In fact some times I find myself casting so I can try out mixing the powders for new and 'interesting' color results (and some are awful but they all go down the barrel)

I enjoy it and it has added to my hobby of casting bullets for cowboy shooting.

cr

The one thing I don't like about them is they are slicker than snot on a doorknob. I didn't necessarily drop them, just harder to manipulate. I guess if I were using a bullet feeder I might like them more.

I don't care for the red or pink ones. The ones Colorado Jackson sells are a very dark grey.

Cimarron have other colors.Mr. Jackson put me onto the Cimarron bullets and I really like them.I bought the 125 gr in 38 but I may have to try their 44s.

in my experience the positives have not outweighed the negatives so I will continue to shoot and produce a traditionally lubed bullet that has served me very well for 15 years of CAS shooting. Try them and see they may just be the bees knee for you but they were not for me.

yellow%20bullets%20Sept%202015_zps7wmbyj

I've powder coat my own. First I wanted to increase the diameter of my 45 bullets. And it did that. But I found it helped if I ran them through a sizing die to press out any little bumps or flanges. I used a Lee bullet sizing die and mounted the little press upside down so sized bullets fell into a box below.

I too like how they are not goopy with lube.

Is anyone using these with real BP? Any problems with the lack of lube?

I've emailed the folks at Badman bullets and asked this question. They said NO to real BP, but YES to subs. I have seen other folks say they use the Molycoated bullets with real BP, but I choose to use lead and big lube bullets when I venture into real BP matches.

Totes

in my experience the positives have not outweighed the negatives so I will continue to shoot and produce a traditionally lubed bullet that has served me very well for 15 years of CAS shooting. Try them and see they may just be the bees knee for you but they were not for me.

I'm not always as observant as I should be so please help me out here. Can you list the negatives you found? I want to start paying attention and see if I'm suffering from them and just haven't noticed.

Deuce we will talk at WR, I will make you a believer my friend! Over drinks of course....

I have shot my own power coating with the Subs in my rifle and pistols and have had not one issues as of yet for six stages and no swabbing the barrels

I'm sold that this is about as good as a PJ sandwich

I sell the Hi-Tek Super Coat bullets for Cimarron Bullets in Wylie, Tx, he bought a special color called "Gunmetal" for Cowboy bullets and it looks just like a lead bullet but is coated. Sell thousands of that color to local shooters, they really like them, cant tell they are coated, you should try them.

I just visited the Cimarron Bullets website. Sadly I don't see .45 cal 200gr RNFP. Only .45 listed are .45 ACP.

I do have 1,000+ Chey-Cast coated bullets to load up. My brother has loaded a bunch and says he likes them.

What about when we are scavenging lead from the range and we find coated bullets. Any issues with melting them down and using the lead? Dangerous/toxic off-gassing of the coating(s)?

Edited by Lost Trail

Am I seeing a trend...? Seems that the folks BUYING coated bullets are happy and contented... while the folks that do the coating themselves are not seeing a great offset.

I have shot my own power coating with the Subs in my rifle and pistols and have had not one issues as of yet for six stages and no swabbing the barrels

I'm sold that this is about as good as a PJ sandwich

From what I've read, these coatings work great with subs, but real black still needs loob.

I get Hi-Tek Supercoat bullets from Chey-Cast. Nice folks, fast service, SASS advertiser and they often run a special in the Chronicle. And their bullets make a rewarding Ding when they hit steel.

+1 - I use them for Cowboy, Wild Bunch and just started loading 9mm. The product + the People + the Service + the Specials = no other choice for me.

Am I seeing a trend...? Seems that the folks BUYING coated bullets are happy and contented... while the folks that do the coating themselves are not seeing a great offset.

Could be that the do it your self folks are powder coating while the commercial buyers are using Hi-Tek to coat their bullets.

I have studied both methods to see if it is something I want to start doing once I start casting my own 38-55 and 45-70 bullets. From what I have gleaned so far it does take a fair amount of practice and attention to detail to get either coating applied properly.

I just visited the Cimarron Bullets website. Sadly I don't see .45 cal 200gr RNFP. Only .45 listed are .45 ACP.

I do have 1,000+ Chey-Cast coated bullets to load up. My brother has loaded a bunch and says he likes them.

What about when we are scavenging lead from the range and we find coated bullets. Any issues with melting them down and using the lead? Dangerous/toxic off-gassing of the coating(s)?

Given that you should already have your lead pot well ventilated to protect yourself from lead fumes there shouldn't be any issues melting down coated bullets.

Do you use the same powder loads for coated as you would uncoated?

For CAS loads I did not change anything when going from lubed to coated bullets.

As with any load approaching or near max you should start over and work back up to max whenever you change components.

He does have that bullet available, it is just not on the site yet, available in several colors, I have some with me I would gladly give you some samples, my samples are the gun metal color

Edited by COLORADO JACKSON

I've been shooting moly coated and heat set coated bullets from LPL Bullets. Easy to load, easy to shoot and less leading. LPL Bullets are easy pards to deal with. Order on line and get shipped right to your door. Sam and Marissa run the show. For SASS shooters by SASS shooters.

Check them out . Lplbullets.com

He does have that bullet available, it is just not on the site yet, available in several colors, I have some with me I would gladly give you some samples, my samples are the gun metal

160 or 180 .45 cowboy bullets available ?

Colorado Jackson,

What colors do they have? Their website doesn't say. I would like to find someone that has multiple colors in Oklahoma to try them. I use the bullet tubes for my Hornady LNL with lead bullets and for the most part works just have have to use a cleaning rod once in a while. But these would be the cats meow. have to find some 32's for Kat's and granddaughters 32 Rugers.

Rev

Colorado Jackson,

What colors do they have? Their website doesn't say. I would like to find someone that has multiple colors in Oklahoma to try them. I use the bullet tubes for my Hornady LNL with lead bullets and for the most part works just have have to use a cleaning rod once in a while. But these would be the cats meow. have to find some 32's for Kat's and granddaughters 32 Rugers.

Rev

The Cowboy bullets he has in Candy Apple,(looks like maroon metallic), and Gunmetal (looks like dark lead bullet), and his standard color is the copper-rust you see on the website, I have several shooters in OK using them. Would be glad to send you some samples. Edited by COLORADO JACKSON

I'm not always as observant as I should be so please help me out here. Can you list the negatives you found? I want to start paying attention and see if I'm suffering from them and just haven't noticed.

http://www.pennbullets.com/pennbulletin.html

This is a good read, but realize the portion on coated bullets was written a year and a half ago, although there was great information on coated bullets in the article. The three major concerns with the bullets are correct.

1. The number one requirement from the manufacturer is that the coating must be applied properly to get good results, I ordered coated bullets from a dozen or so casters when I started wanting to shoot coated bullets, and all were different quality, some good some bad.

2. Care must be taken in the reloading process to load any bullets including the lead, plated or coated bullets. Seating and crimping in two different operations is good advice, like Dillon does with the 550 and the 650.

3. Accuracy...The owner of Cimarron is an avid IDPA and USPSA shooter, when I introduced him to the cowboy bullet offerings,he graciously bought the molds to start loading cowboy bullets right away, they are now his biggest seller, he took the 105 38 Poly Coated Hy-Tek bullet he coated and shot them out of a Ransom Rest at 50 yds, with a 5 inch revolver and they shot a 1 1/2 inch group at 50 yds, he was amazed, said it was the best group that gun had ever shot, he was use to more like a 4 inch group using a plated bullet at the same distance. So done properly, the Hy-Tek coated bullets I would say are pretty accurate.

Not to sound like Cimarron is the only good bullet caster, there are many, he is very good at what he does, and very knowledgeable on the product he sells, and priced very competitively, I would suggest to anyone to try the coated bullets with an open mind, you will not be disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

i use them in front of smokeless loads in my 44-40 andf my wifes 38's

Been thinking about using them in my BP loads, those that do, do you add a lube disc or similar to keep the fouling soft/

Currently i shoot big lube bullets with SPG (not coated) in my BP loads and have no issues, but thinking of just doing coated laods in all

Been using Bear Creek Moly coated for about 3 years. Great results. No Muss, No Fuss. Bores look great. Consistent and Accurate.

I shoot them with both Single and Dual Base smokeless, friends shoot them with everything from Black MZ to Schuetzen with no problems.

Edited by Augustus Goodnight

I switched to them towards the end of last year.  Keep in mind my 45 reloads use 250 grain bullets with Titegroup 1 grain below max.. and a very good crimp.  Appears I'm getting more blowback.  I haven't decided if they are worth the extra cost.

7 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I switched to them towards the end of last year.  Keep in mind my 45 reloads use 250 grain bullets with Titegroup 1 grain below max.. and a very good crimp.  Appears I'm getting more blowback.  I haven't decided if they are worth the extra cost.

Gamer!  :D

Haven't switched, don't plan to since I cast and lube my own cheaper than any vendor sells.  Quite satisfied with lube the way it was done back then.

Good luck, GJ