SASS Wire Forum

Powder coated bullets?

VICIOUS, SASS#8014

Howdy; Just curious what percentage of shooters are now using powder coated type bullets at the larger match's? How common and is this a rapidly growing trend towards this type bullet?

Edited by VICIOUS, SASS#8014

I use them now exclusively. Only reason I went to them is I got a bullet feeder for my 650 and coated bullets run smoother through the feeder.

Kajun

What Kajun said! I got some coated bullets from Lead Ringer and love them. So a free plug for Ringers Bullets here! :D

No gumming up the dies in my press, slide slick and easy in bullet feeders, barrel is clean as a whistle after shooting. I am a fan for sure.

Edited by Ruff Kut

I used coated bullets with Triple Seven in my handguns all last year with no issues. My wife now uses coated bullets in her '73s with smokeless powder. We both now prefer the coated bullets and intend to load with them whenever possible. Not handling bare lead is another advantage in addition to those listed by RK.

It's a polymer coating like powder coating paint. Eliminates the need & mess of bullet lube for our application.

It's a polymer coating like powder coating paint. Eliminates the need & mess of bullet lube for our application.

also reduces leading I'm told. I'll probably try a box for Wild Bunch when my current supply runs out.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I was not on favor of them from the start.

I was afraid that there may be some guy powder coating jacketed bullets and causing a dangerous splashback.

But I have softened my opinion on the issue.

I have been using some lately.

The guy that I buy them from charges the SAME amount as his ordinary wax-lubed bullets.

BTW, there is a bit less smoke to the shots.

Mustang

Edited by Mustang Gregg

I use Hi Tek coated bullets.

Powder coating and poly-coating are completely different animals, both are coated bullets, two very different materials

Howdy,

Been powder coating my own bullets for BP in 38-40.. Going on a couple of years. Love them, less leading, easier clean-up, can make them in pretty different colors..:) Won't go back...

But the new Hi-Tek Super Coat is a great coating and there is no downside to shooting them, much easier on the guns

When I see a cartridge with a red bullet, looks more like a girls lipstick tube. I believe this has been done years back. It is more colorful, doesn't match my colors :P

I hope it remains a good thing, if it was a bit greenish ^_^

I just made my first attempt at powder coating bullets. Not exactly rocket science, but... I think I was successful.

DSCN0945.jpg

I tried these in my 1911s for WB, and even coated the bullets won't feed... (they don't uncoated either)!

DSCN0946.jpg

I'll save the rest for my C45S ammo in the revolvers, and go back to another bullet for the Auto!

Howdy,

Been powder coating my own bullets for BP in 38-40.. Going on a couple of years. Love them, less leading, easier clean-up, can make them in pretty different colors.. :) Won't go back...

I believe, that unless you're using a sub that doesn't require a BP lube, you're running the risk of getting some very HARD fouling... in rifle barrels.

Griff - yeah, that is a REAL fat nosed slug. And poly coating it just makes it a couple thousandths fatter.

There is a reamer that will long-taper the leade in 1911 barrels to help you if you really want to shoot that slug.

But otherwise, get a smaller nose on the slug. Accurate Molds has a couple of truncated cone mold designs that are really nice in the .45 auto.

I shoot the 45-200E a lot. And when I want a 230 grain slug, the 45-230E,

good luck, GJ

Griff - yeah, that is a REAL fat nosed slug. And poly coating it just makes it a couple thousandths fatter.

There is a reamer that will long-taper the leade in 1911 barrels to help you if you really want to shoot that slug.

But otherwise, get a smaller nose on the slug. Accurate Molds has a couple of truncated cone mold designs that are really nice in the .45 auto.

I shoot the 45-200E a lot. And when I want a 230 grain slug, the 45-230E,

good luck, GJ

It'll run in my Combat Commander, but it was ramped specifically for that bullet. It's the ramp where it hangs up in my other 1911s. I generally run a 200gr RFN. Those are a 185gr and run just a hair or two under... none under 182, but... why get that close! I don't know why I bothered to load them up... I tested 'em over 20 years ago, and as soon as I fired one, I said, "...self, this was a waste of lead, primers & powder!" :D:o

Been powder coating all my bullets close to a year now and got the process down pretty good, I do a smash test just see how the hold up with a 3 pound shop hammer if the coating don't crack then I know I've got the process right and it will hold up in the rifles and pistols, shot smokeless powder with them and have recently switched over shooting black powder sub and have had no issues whatsoever.

Like Colorado Jackson said powder coating and poly coating is two different things and both work great

Scroll down to the "POLYMER COATED BULLETS" section on the Badman Bullets website:

https://www.badmanbullets.com/OnlineStore/faq.php

Vicious:

Half? Naw, I doubt that's possible. :rolleyes:

At the last few shoots that I've been to, Calamity and I were the ONLY ones we saw using colored bullets.

And I ran the loading table a lot.

Mustang Gregg

Vicious:

Half? Naw, I doubt that's possible. :rolleyes:

At the last few shoots that I've been to, Calamity and I were the ONLY ones we saw using colored bullets.

And I ran the loading table a lot.

Mustang Gregg

They come in lots of colors. I have some that from a distance look just like lead.

I use different colors make it easy to tell my APP from my smokeless rounds.

I get my from Cimarron Bullets in Wylie TX. Excellent price and customer service.

Bulldog,

Yes, they work just fine. I use them in matches and I use my home cast and commercial "greased" bullets for practice.

And I will go to the Topeka RO class with you guys. It's on the calendar now. EDIT...Check your email.

Much obliged,

Mustang

Edited by Mustang Gregg

I'm a big fan of the Hi-Tec coated bullets, though the quality isn't the same from all the suppliers. The best that I've found have been from Bayou Bullets, unfortunately they don't have quite as large a product line as some other suppliers, but if they do have what I'm looking for, there're my go to vendor. The quality of some of the coated bullets I've recently ordered from Missouri Bullets were not as good as some of the other suppliers, but they were the only ones that had what I was looking for; but still better than standard lubed bullets.

Best regards,

I was a huge fan of the Badman .38 in 127grn, but they don't seem to be making them any more. I have switched to Precision Bullets Gen 2 coating with no crimp/lube groove and couldn't be happier. Its been almost 2 years since I switched to coated bullets and I really like 'em. I only use standard lead when shooting real BP.

Totes

I was a huge fan of the Badman .38 in 127grn, but they don't seem to be making them any more.

The 127grn .38s were back on the production schedule as of yesterday.

When I see a cartridge with a red bullet, looks more like a girls lipstick tube. I believe this has been done years back. It is more colorful, doesn't match my colors :P

I hope it remains a good thing, if it was a bit greenish ^_^

I sell the Hi-Tek Super Coat bullets for Cimarron Bullets in Wylie, Tx, he bought a special color called "Gunmetal" for Cowboy bullets and it looks just like a lead bullet but is coated. Sell thousands of that color to local shooters, they really like them, cant tell they are coated, you should try them.

• Like 2

I sell the Hi-Tek Super Coat bullets for Cimarron Bullets in Wylie, Tx, he bought a special color called "Gunmetal" for Cowboy bullets and it looks just like a lead bullet but is coated. Sell thousands of that color to local shooters, they really like them, cant tell they are coated, you should try them.

If you ask really really nice Colorado Jackson might even deliver them. :D:D:D

Cimarron Bullets does and excellent job maintaining a consistent coating his bullets. Stopped by his shop to pick up a special order and he gave me the 25 cent tour. His production process pretty much ensures a consistently repeatable high quality product.

Powder coated bullets are very popular in Australia, probably around 90% use them, like them myself but as I have a magna-caster & with the time you put into it I am not prepared to spend extra time coating bullets....

+ about 73 :D

Good bullets, good prices

I get Hi-Tek Supercoat bullets from Chey-Cast. Nice folks, fast service, SASS advertiser and they often run a special in the Chronicle. And their bullets make a rewarding Ding when they hit steel.