SASS Wire Forum

Milkman question

Alpo

I remember seeing one, occasionally, when I was little, but we got our groceries from the commissary, so I don't know how they worked.

Maybe someone here is old enough.

If they brought your milk Monday, and Tuesday they found Monday's milk souring on the step, then Wednesday found Monday's and Tuesday's both still there, would they leave Wednesday's?

I know they were to pick up the empties and leave full, but how long would they leave it if it was never taken in?

Dragnet episode from the 50s, and they mentioned the milk piling up on the stoop because there was no one home.

I could see the paper getting thrown whether the old one was picked up or not, or mail being shoved in the box.

But continuing to leave milk seemed peculiar.

Usually they'd check you if the milk was still there when they came for the next delivery. In our little town they'd look in all the windows, then talk to the neighbors, finally call the cops.

The mailman would do the same thing, and maybe the kid that delivered the paper.

Lot more "community concern" than with the so-called "community organizers" today.

Yes, if you didn't pick up, he'd knock, go looking for you, maybe check the garage (no garage door openers then....mostly left unlocked), then ask the neighbors

We had a large mud porch off the back door with a compartment with two-way doors between the kitchen and the mud porch for milk and other dairy deliveries and to put our empty bottles in.

That makes more sense.

'Course, Dragnet was Los Angeles.

Dragnet was TV, even then the situation was made to fit what was needed to fit the story. Bread, milk, ice-men were almost friends unless you got a substitute for some reason. They were incentive based employees with assigned routes.

Hang on, let me ask my dad....:D just kiddddding mom. We always had our milk delivered when I was growing up. We still even have them around here, and had it delivered when our kids were well kids. It was a bit speedy once we didn't need as much milk. Not sure what they would have done if the milk was still left out

Edited by Shorty Jack Hammer

They still do make home milk and dairy deliveries in our areas in those old (now refurbished) milk delivery trucks.

Schwan's is the company name. They deliver not only dairy but other frozen meats and foods.

We had milk delivered. Dang, I remember the milk box and them glass bottles. Bread and cookies got delivered. I remember catching a ride on the Entenmann's truck as he buzzed around the neighborhood. Soda got delivered. I remember our German Shepherd was out in the yard one day while the soda guy was delivering. Oops!

Everybody knew everybody and looked out for each other. Ike was in the White House, Howdy Doody was on the TV, I had gotten the training wheels off my bicycle and all was right with the world! What did I know? I had my candy cigarettes so I was happy.

When I was stationed at China Lake about 15 years ago, our regular carrier would knock on the door if the mail piled up. We used to give him a nice Christmas gift every year because he was so nice.

He was also credited with saving an elderly mans life. Seems he had a habit of greeting the mail man everyday and one day he missed. The next day he also missed so the mailman knocked on the door and looked in the windows. He saw someone lying on the floor so the mail man called 911 and then broke into the house. The man had had fallen and couldn't get up. Thanks to the mailman being a citizen he saved a life.

Before we started farming the Clover Leaf Dairy had a bright green panel truck with a big white shamrock on the side. They left us 2 quarts of un-homogenized milk 6 days a week.

Asked them to help break my dog from chasing cars. He chased them down the driveway one day and the delivery runner opened the back door of the truck and poured a bucket of ammonia flavored water on the dog. Cured him!!!

Before we started farming the Clover Leaf Dairy had a bright green panel truck with a big white shamrock on the side. They left us 2 quarts of un-homogenized milk 6 days a week.

Asked them to help break my dog from chasing cars. He chased them down the driveway one day and the delivery runner opened the back door of the truck and poured a bucket of ammonia flavored water on the dog. Cured him!!!

Hadn't thought of Clover Leaf in a long time!

My cousin was a milkman for awhile in the Los Angeles area in the 80's!!!! Yes the 80's!!!! Don't know if they still have 'em though???

If you went by the local Dairy at the wrong time of the morning, you were stuck in traffic. Milk Truck traffic. As a Kid, I thought that like of Milk Trucks coming out of the Dairy was miles long.

I recall milk being delivered by wagon with a team of horses. The horses knew the route and would not need

human attention until they returned to the dairy. Gosh I must be getting old.

We could not pet the horses, but we would stand around and talk to them. I think they also thought we

were a bunch of friends. Better times for sure. And then there was the ice man.....

When I was a child our Milk Man was Jim Maris. I would go to Kindergarten in the morning and mom would let me ride the milk truck with Jim in the afternoon. Why I remember that I don't know, just a good time to be alive I guess.

They still do make home milk and dairy deliveries in our areas in those old (now refurbished) milk delivery trucks.

Schwan's is the company name. They deliver not only dairy but other frozen meats and foods.

Thoe old Divco vans are a valuable collectible nowadays. And the Helms "coaches", too.

I recall milk being delivered by wagon with a team of horses. The horses knew the route and would not need

human attention until they returned to the dairy. Gosh I must be getting old.

We could not pet the horses, but we would stand around and talk to them. I think they also thought we

were a bunch of friends. Better times for sure. And then there was the ice man.....

Old Man Yeats delivered ice behind a pair of draft horses. We had a galvanized steel ice box with a chute beside the coal chute (Also a Yeats-owned company, using a Mack chain drive truck). Our box held two 200 pound blocks of ice broken into four chunks each.

Dad changed the straw insulation about once a month and I got to help... until I got smarter.

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935

In the Chicago area, you can still get milk delivered along with dairy products to your front door.

The company is Oberweis Dairy and they have their own trucks.

The milk is better than store milk but it was a bit pricey.

My son loves their chocolate milk.

They would provide you with a cooler for your front porch and would deliver several times a week.

I had a couple friends that used their service, but I never used enough to have the delivery.

I would go to their stores and get some of the best ice cream there is available.

Here is a link to their website.

http://www.oberweis.com/web/default.asp

Note: I checked webpage and the offer home delivery in these areas.

Where is Home Delivery Service available?

Oberweis Home Delivery Service is offered in the following areas:

•Illinois: Chicagoland, Central Illinois, Southern Illinois

•Indiana: Greater Indianapolis area

•Michigan: Suburban Detroit area

•Missouri: St. Louis

•Virginia: Virginia Beach, Hampton Roads area

•Wisconsin: Milwaukee

To verify if Home Delivery Service is available in your area, click here

Edited by Maddog McCoy SASS #5672

They still deliver milk here in Colorado (im sure in many other states too). They will deliver other dairy products and eggs too.

We usually have milk goats and chickens so delivery isnt needed.

Prairie Farms dairy use to buy milk from my Grandfather until the late 60's or early 70's until they mandated that all milking had to be done by machines. He had a cooler for storing the milk and they would come by and pick up the milk once or twice a week. I think that he got the cooler from the dairy as I seem to remember the cooler having a Prairie Farms emblem on it. He had a couple of cows that he milked by hand and I tried a couple times when I was 6 or 8 years old but could not get the hang of it. I drank a lot of milk growing up but hated the cream floating in it. Grandma had a pasteurizer and a separator but it did not always get all of the cream out of the milk.

My brother and I was talking about this the other day and he said he could not find the pasteurizer at Grandma's house and we could not agree if the milk cooler was still in the barn. Next time I am in Illinois I am going to see if the milk cooler is in the barn and I told him to ask Grandma about the pasteurizer and see if she knows where it is. Her memory is pretty good for a 102 year old lady and probably knows where it should be in the farm house. If the milk cooler and the milk cans are still there I will post a picture.

Edited by Maddog McCoy SASS #5672

When I was a kid in PA we used to get milk, eggs and cheese delivered. We also had a bread man that came around from Nickle's Bakery and we had the guy we called the "Fix It Man" he sharpened knives and fixed little things for folks. He had about anything one might need on short notice in that big "potato chip" truck. From shoe strings to Coleman lantern mantles. Good Times...

Almost forgot, in the 90's when my wife and I lived in Huntington Beach, CA we had a milkman for a couple of years. He delivered milk, eggs, cheeses, cottage cheese and he even had a small selection of ice cream flavors.

Edited by Pat Riot, SASS #13748

My house has, built into the stone wall next to the back door, a "milk box". Way back when, the milkman would come around the back, and put milk in it. If you wanted something other than your normal whole milk, you'd put a note in the box like "Also need 1 pint cream" or "1/2 gal chocolate milk". If you went on vacation and forgot to tell him, he'd see the last delivery still in the box and not make another. In fact, he'd usually replace it with an empty and a note asking you to call him. He'd dump the now spoiled milk out into the local sewer, to make sure he didn't actually give it to someone else. One of my friends father was the local milkman. The friend told some wild stories of his father finding people dead when he was delivering. I don't know how truthful the stories were, but I'm sure the guy undoubtedly saw a lot during his travels onto people's properties.

We also has Charles Chips, who delivered potato chips, pretzels, and cookies, in distinctly decorated tin cans (which were given back to be refilled). Like the milk man, sometime in the 1970's, it because too expensive to continue to deliver directly to homes. I still have my original Charles Chips, Charles Pretzels, and Charles Cookies cans and use them for my own cookies.