SASS Wire Forum

BP plastic shotgun shells

Bittertrigger

Getting into Frontier Cartridge and have been ghosting the web sights and interrogating the guys at my club and got my loads all worked out, what to do with my brass and all, even shot a couple of matches. I'm afraid that I'm hooked, I have one question that I cannot find and forgot to ask at my club,

About how many reloads can you get out of your hulls and do you drop them into your brass cleaning solution at the range

Thanks

I shoot both Smokeless and BP.

I load smokeless 4 to 6 times .

I load BP once out of my old smokeless hulls.

Then scrap them .

Welcome to the dark side .

BP shotgun hulls, use once and toss. They are cheap and easy to find.

For me, I only load BP shotgun shells one time... then it's straight to the trash can.

Plastic hulls. Once and toss. The heat makes the plastic hard and crunchy. So, even though they might look good enough for another load toss them.

I just threw some 2,000 "trash" hulls away today. I have enough STS, Nitro, AA hulls to last me a long time. By then I will collect more. Plus I have 100 brass hulls.

I loaded up 500 AA once fired hulls with smokeless in the last few days. I'll practice with these and reload them with black the next time. Then toss.

One more vote for use 'em one and done. I really like Gun Clubs because they shuck well and are easy to come by.

CR

The clubs I shoot at, most shoot factory loads and toss their hulls. So there are always far more hulls than the few black powder shooter can use - if you're not picky. At our club, one couple shoot factory STS and toss and another shoots AA Featherlites and toss.

When I first started loading SG with BP, I would reuse the hulls and reload. After reloading, I would mark them with a black marker on the base so I would know how many times I reloaded each hull. I've had as many as six reloads, but usually because of hull condition, I would get a lot less. Now I have so many once fired hulls that I chuck them after shooting. The same with my smokeless rounds. Once fired, I chuck them. I usually collect more once fired hulls from other shooters than I shoot at each match.

I load my 10 gauge 3-1/2 with brass shells. I load short tens for ten gaugers that want to try Holy Black.

I also load a few for my Winchester Salute and sailboat race

starting cannon. I do not reuse the plastic. In any case, I have no idea what the pards to whom I have

given the short tens do with them. I use my cannon so seldom that it makes no sense to reload those

shells. If I win the lottery and after I buy 500 more .50-140 3-1/4 Sharps cases, I will buy some brass

salute cannon shells! :P Brass short ten shells are available commercially. :)

My precious 8 gauge 4-1/4" are worth as much as a small cabin! :wub:

I dissagree just the tiniest with Larson E.

Using APP, I can sometimes get 3 uses out of my hulls...and they were once shot to start with!!!

AND many don't reload their shells...so we ask fir them at matches...

Seldom fo we need to purchase hulls!

Never have soaked them or run them through anything.

Edited by singin' sue

There is a big difference in longevity depending on if you are using real BP or one of the subs.

As others have said. You can usually collect all you need after a match. Just volunteer to pick up the discard buckets for each stage after a match. I collected 30 gallons of AA hulls this way in less than a year.

Edited by Sedalia Dave

Bart,

I get about 2 reloads out of STS hulls. 1 or 2 for AA's. The lower the powder charge, the fewer reloads. The hulls get burned on the outside from blow-by with light loads, so it's a trade-off.

Yusta

Bart,

I get about 2 reloads out of STS hulls. 1 or 2 for AA's. The lower the powder charge, the fewer reloads. The hulls get burned on the outside from blow-by with light loads, so it's a trade-off.

Yusta

I used full loads, guess this is why I get a few uses from them.

I got 2 sometimes 3 using either AA or Federal top gun without fiddling with the press. They get singed with real BP but as long as the crimp closes they are fine and shuck easy.

I got a bushel of the Federal at our local range last summer so I am tossing them after one toasting now.

I have to go with everyone else on this one - if you are using Holy Black, The One True Powder, then toss them after the first use. They can only bear up to the Heat, Strength and Love one time and thereafter are no longer worthy. ;) Of course, you can get several uses out of them if you use a wannabe powder, but then it is much kinder in the long run to let them See the Light. :)

Edited by JohnHenryQuick

Then scrap them .

yep, same for me

I reload then until they char / get rough around the outside of the mouth or the mouth splits. No idea how many times that takes.

My procedure as well and no I don't recommend washing them.

I like the Nitro Gods and I mark the base for each reload. I have slick unsplit loaded shells with as many as 6 marks on the base.

I shoot 50 grs of black with an ounce of shot and a pink wad.

Edited by Noz

One more vote for use 'em one and done. I really like Gun Clubs because they shuck well and are easy to come by.

CR

I use gun clubs once then though away

They are easy to find.

Cowboy Rick and Double Tap have the right of it. I do the same.

Chancy

Then scrap them .

What he said!!!

I like the Remington STS or Nitro hulls, but they are hard to come by in my area, so I reload them multiple times.

I mark the base for each reload. I inspect each hull before loading and get between 2 to 5 reloads.

I don't clean the hulls between use, and have had no shucking problems.