SASS Wire Forum

Improved C&B Loader?

It has been cool so I was out in the garage messing around and decided to do a very short on-line mini-article. The two most popular after market C&B cylinder loaders have a few shortcomings and have never proven satisfactory to me. (If you love yours great.) I had two or three of them in my miscellaneous junk steel box.

P1050832_zpscnxanh1h.jpg

I loosely reassembled the parts to show what they look like put together.

P1050833_zpsjxqsu71m.jpg

A couple of the major shortcomings. The main post is threaded with a screw coming up from the bottom. It is impossible to tighen that screw tight enough to where the post does not twist on the steel base. Most people have added a little weld to keep the post from twisting. Next, the arm that holds the ram bushing relies on a set screw pushing on a round post. Again, it is very hard to keep them from moving around. Finally, and the biggest problem, is the sliding sleeve on the rammer handle. The sleeve has to slide back and forth on the arm as the rammer is raised and lowered. It puts a lot of side load on the rammer bushing and never seems to slide smoothly. In many cases the brass bushing in the slider simply comes out of the slider. I see people struggling with these things at almost every match where there are C&B shooters. You see all kinds of fixes like putting springs in front of or behind the slider to help it move back and forth on the rammer arm. These little fixes seldom do anything to help the problems.

So using as many pieces of the original as possible I mocked up a, hopefully, improved version.

P1080844_zpsodhmbk3t.jpg

The top of the old post was cut off and now is on the left of the square post which fits into a milled recess in the base so it cannot twist. A new rammer arm is set into a milled slot in the post and the top of the old post was turned down and threaded to hold in the new arm. So the top of the old post serves two functions. It acts as a pivot for the new link and holds in the rammer arm. The key is the double pivot that runs off the back of the old post. Instead of the slider moving up and down the rammer handle the movement is taken up by the double pivot. It is very smooth. The original rammer handle was drilled and tapped and the slider screwed down so it does not move. So far this one can be operated with one finger. Since I have given up BP for a while I loaned the thing to Captain Baylor and will let a couple of other local shooters try it out to see if there are any problems. At any rate, if you think this will work feel free to copy it.

Edited by Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933

Its always nice to see a better mouse trap. Unfortunately in Aust we cant seem to even get the cheese.

These are impossible to get in Australia no one imports them and no one seems to want to ship to Australia.

I have tried Amazon and Ebay and all the sellers have declined to take my money (its the shipping that's the issue).

I have spoken to some other C&B pers here and they have all had to make their own.

Its always nice to see a better mouse trap. Unfortunately in Aust we cant seem to even get the cheese.

These are impossible to get in Australia no one imports them and no one seems to want to ship to Australia.

I have tried Amazon and Ebay and all the sellers have declined to take my money (its the shipping that's the issue).

I have spoken to some other C&B pers here and they have all had to make their own.

The principal features of the design is pretty clear. Looks like one can be fabricated with local materials. I seen one like this made from wood. It was bulkier but simple.

Edited by Warden Callaway

• 2 weeks later...

Dang Larsen that's sweeet :) No way I could make one don't have the tools, when you decide do em for profit let me know ;)

Add me to the buyer list.

Amarillo Rattler

Later in this video I explain how I made some adapter parts so I could use a small Lee C press to load a cylinder. Keep in mind I was using the press setup for the first time in the video. And I was working around a camera. Also the press was C-clamped to a little crafts table and none to steady.

I use the press setup at home where I can C-clamp it to a workbench mounted to the wall. It works well in this setting. I've not used it at a range as there wouldn't be a good place to clamp it. The C-press could be mounted to a portable loader stand - home made or factory made.

Later in this video I explain how I made some adapter parts so I could use a small Lee C press to load a cylinder. Keep in mind I was using the press setup for the first time in the video. And I was working around a camera. Also the press was C-clamped to a little crafts table and none to steady.

I use the press setup at home where I can C-clamp it to a workbench mounted to the wall. It works well in this setting. I've not used it at a range as there wouldn't be a good place to clamp it. The C-press could be mounted to a portable loader stand - home made or factory made.

This is kinda interesting .

I like the idia more then the wood one myself.

This could be improved upon .

And I think it could work nicely .

Another mousetrap. Home made with better leverage.

IMG_0024_zpscyxegvkc.jpg

I need one of these with a foot holder. Ask Cheyenne Culpepper.......he watched me struggle. Edited by Cemetery

Here is a loader I built a few years ago. It and the loading box really speeds up the loading process and allows us time to help out with other posse chores.

Loadingjig_zps993663b8.jpg

I have the Tower of Power has well. It hangs up a bit when all the way down or all the way up. I too would pay to have it converted to a better working loader.

I got this hangup problem as well.

Another mousetrap. Home made with better leverage.

IMG_0024_zpscyxegvkc.jpg

Other uses for Castalia's newest cylinder loading press:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFH5hredJl0&sns=em

Edited by Too Tall Bob