SASS Wire Forum

California gun sales

longcolt 14205L

Octogenarian curmudgeons of the black arts march to their own drum. :wub:

Everyone to their own taste said the old lady as she kissed the cow! :)

Politics aside, from a business standpoint it doesn't make sense to me to exclude a state that's population is more than ten percent of the country and potentially the largest customer base in the world over 5 minutes of work.

If it was only 5 min of work you would have a point. However in CA and a few other states there is a patchwork of State, County and City laws that are not the easiest to navigate. I could not find a comprehensive list of firearm or ammunition restrictions below the state level. The CA DOJ does not keep a list of county or municipal firearm laws.

CA law also states that the out of state FFL has to maintain additional records for firearm transfers to CA over and above what the feds require. Not sure how CA can enforce these requirements on non-residents but they have them non the less.

Thrown in an FFL on the CA side that wants to be less than helpful and that 5 min can turn into hours really really fast.

I have shipped firearms to CA twice through my FFL. Neither transaction was smooth. All the issues were from the CA end. My FFL has done several prior transaction with CA FFLs and he said it was hit or miss on how well the transaction goes. Because he is retired he doesn't mind spending the extra time it can take to get everything in order.

BTW significantly less than 1/2 of that 10% are not potential customers. The current CA firearm restrictions are proof of that.

Info straight off the CA govt firearms website:

Handguns recently removed from the approved list: Colt Python Stainless 6", 33 versions of the Colt 1911 and 1991, and the S&W 17-9 with a 6" barrel.

I am sure that California cowboys did not support the dramatic slide to the left made by their large and important state. They likely feel outnumbered within their state and unsupported from the other states.

At the same time, the FFLs that I use for shipping repeatedly state that they see California as a state that refuses to be a part of the union by making dramatic and continuously left-leanings laws, including guns, the environment and cars. They have the right to choose how they do business.

I have a shotgun posted in the classified. I figure that I am just as likely to sell it to someone in the lower 47 as in the lower 48. I'll take a chance on being wrong.

Handguns recently removed from the approved list: Colt Python Stainless 6", 33 versions of the Colt 1911 and 1991, and the S&W 17-9 with a 6" barrel.

I am sure that California cowboys did not support the dramatic slide to the left made by their large and important state. They likely feel outnumbered within their state and unsupported from the other states.

At the same time, the FFLs that I use for shipping repeatedly state that they see California as a state that refuses to be a part of the union by making dramatic and continuously left-leanings laws, including guns, the environment and cars. They have the right to choose how they do business.

I have a shotgun posted in the classified. I figure that I am just as likely to sell it to someone in the lower 47 as in the lower 48. I'll take a chance on being wrong.

That only applies to new handgun sales in Ca.. Used guns via private party or consignment in a gun store don't apply.

OLG

It won't be long before the only new handgun you can purchase in CA will be single action revolvers.