SASS Wire Forum

California gun sales

longcolt 14205L

Good morning all

As a Californian and a shooter I wonder if anyone can convince out of state dealers that they can actually ship guns to California. Who has told them that they can't? Al that is required is a letter that proves that California FFL dealers actually is a legal FFL dealer. Doesn't seem like much of a hoop to jump through to sell to an entire state. Anyone have any ideas?

Longcolt

I'm not an ffl....

I sold a gun to a CAS shooter out there a couple of years ago and followed all the rules shipping as an individual to an FFL

The dealer I shipped it to gave both me and the person it was going to such a hard time

that I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle to do it again.

My FFL does.

I ship handguns thru him.

I can ship long guns there myownself

--Dawg

I am a FFL holder and from what I have found it is just that they don't want to deal or ship to Ca.because they think it is kinda like a protest and that it will make a difference. All it is doing is giving California law maker what they want fewer guns in to Ca. it just hurts the good people of Ca.by having fewer places to buy guns from.

So by the out of state dealer not shipping here it just means Government wins the honest individual looses. Sorry a little long winded and not spoken very well. Boils down to Ca Gov wins by not shipping here.

Al

My 2 local FFL's accept from out of state FFL and PP.

PD-You can ship a HG to a FFL(only through FedX & UPS).

LG

Good Afternoon:

Yep, they always go to an FFL, but I can ship long guns fedex.

My FFL can send handguns USPS -- way less costly then Fedex/UPS Overnight!

Thanks for highlighting that LG, just in case newbies think they can send them directly to the buyer.

Have a good long weekend

--Dawg

• Like 1

I have sold 2 guns to CA pards. My local FFL shipped to a CA FFL. No problems, although took a day or two longer for the exchange of info between them. Would do it again if I had something to sell and a CA buyer.

Regards

Gateway Kid

I can ship to a Kajifornia FFL. I prefer to avoid dealing or having anything to do with them or NY & New England. I do not shoot there either. If, for some reason, it was important for a pard in one of them, I definitely would, albeit reluctantly, ship to him or her.

I can ship to a Kajifornia FFL. I prefer to avoid dealing or having anything to do with them or NY & New England. I do not shoot there either. If, for some reason, it was important for a pard in one of them, I definitely would, albeit reluctantly, ship to him or her.

So much for the 'Cowboy Way'. <_<

I'm sure that folks will now remember your preferences when you're posting in the SASS classifieds. ;) So as not to waste your time. -_-

Any private party can ship to any FFL, including Ca. FFL's

It's up to the receiving FFL to accept from private party or not.

All the FFL that is shipping to a Ca. FFL has to do, is call our DOJ and get an import cert that is faxed to them.

OLG

• Like 1

I'm thinking that maybe part of the reason for the reluctance to ship to California is the stupid approved gun list and a fear of shipping the wrong model of a gun

So much for the 'Cowboy Way'. <_<

I'm sure that folks will now remember your preferences when you're posting in the SASS classifieds. ;) So as not to waste your time. -_-

Any private party can ship to any FFL, including Ca. FFL's

It's up to the receiving FFL to accept from private party or not.

All the FFL that is shipping to a Ca. FFL has to do, is call our DOJ and get an import cert that is faxed to them.

OLG

When an FFL only gets $10 or $20 for the transaction, they do not feel it is not worth the extra time needed to coordinate shipping to CA.

My FFL has shipped a couple of guns to CA for me. The first time the CA FFL became difficult so we had to have the buyer find another.

Second time around it took over a week to get that pesky import cert. Fortunately I am friends with my FFL so he didn't charge me extra for all the hassles.

Ya'll just need a better class of politicians. ;)

Ya'll just need a better class of politicians. ;)

That, too, maybe, but no, that ain't it.

What y'all need is a better class of Federal Firearms Licensees (FFL's).

Any FFL can ship a firearm to a California FFL. They log onto the California Department of Justice (DOJ) website, spend about 3 minutes (faster, if they've done it before) and then, ship the firearm,

The difficulty arises when some bonehead out-of-state FFL decides he's going to hurt The State of California, by "refusing to do business there." What he's really doing is making life difficult for legitimate gun owners in his own state and in The State of California.

Many FFL's in all states will not accept shipments from non-FFL individuals because of the inherent inability to (to a high degree) positively identify the a non-FFL shipper.

I'm thinking that maybe part of the reason for the reluctance to ship to California is the stupid approved gun list and a fear of shipping the wrong model of a gun

Doesn't apply on PP sales with some exceptions like AW and hi-cap mags or NFA guns.........

OLG

Edited by The Original Lumpy Gritz

ATF regulations ain't per'zactly easy to navigate much less the patchwork of laws across the US. MASS, NY, CA and a few others.....oh so not worth a sale. Should an out of state dealer/PP send a firearm and violate the law unknowingly....well, that ain't an excuse should you make an error. They'll hammer you. Not worth it.

I think misinformation and being lazy makes it harder on all of us.

That includes the shipper (UPS) and that a shame!

That, too, maybe, but no, that ain't it.

What y'all need is a better class of Federal Firearms Licensees (FFL's).

Any FFL can ship a firearm to a California FFL. They log onto the California Department of Justice (DOJ) website, spend about 3 minutes (faster, if they've done it before) and then, ship the firearm,

The difficulty arises when some bonehead out-of-state FFL decides he's going to hurt The State of California, by "refusing to do business there." What he's really doing is making life difficult for legitimate gun owners in his own state and in The State of California.

Many FFL's in all states will not accept shipments from non-FFL individuals because of the inherent inability to (to a high degree) positively identify the a non-FFL shipper.

This is the #1 problem. over 1/2 the guns my FFL receives from non FFL shippers does not have the name and address of the sender inside the package. Makes it a real PITA filling out the required forms.

I now take a copy of the name and address I sent the gold dust to so he can complete the paperwork.

Long guns from private parties are not a problem shipping to CA FFL (as long as they are CA Legal...and to my knowledge...all our cowboy guns are legal). Hand guns are a different issue. CA DOJ does allow SAA 's and other single action handguns from a private party to FFL's in CA but other handguns most FFL's will not accept (must use a FFL from the senders state). However some FFL's are not aware of the single action exception and may not accept ANY handguns from any O of S private parties...so CA buyers need to be sure their local FFL's are aware of this. Don't write off CA because of 4 crazy counties...there are 54 other counties that are not so nutty.

Just curious, does CA treat C&B revolvers as regulated firearms? I make the distinction because here in Virginia, they are firearms, but are not regulated.

C&B revolvers can be shipped right to my door. Some areas in the state may not allow it.

I think cap and ball are not on the ship to ffl list here. For cowboy guns, never had an issue with a FFL to FFL shipment to California. With modern stuff, if its on the no no list ( even a gen 4 glock), its an issue.

C&B revolvers can be shipped right to my door. Some areas in the state may not allow it.

It's a shame ya'll don't have a state premption law to put an end to the confusion.

I think cap and ball are not on the ship to ffl list here. For cowboy guns, never had an issue with a FFL to FFL shipment to California. With modern stuff, if its on the no no list ( even a gen 4 glock), its an issue.

It's a shame when politicians think more of their dogma than their constituents.

Today is Lobby Day and we of the Virginia Citizens Defense League are converging on the state legislature to lobby our Delegates and Senators to pass our bills and then have a rally in the courtyard at noon. It's an annual event where good, decent politicians welcome us and provide coffee and the scurrilous types that would feel more at home in Maryland or California flee the building to hide from us. The Anti's do the same thing in the afternoon. Last year there were over 750 of us and only 30 of those other poor creatures and the legislature knows it. ;)

EDIT: BTW, we all show up carrying, mostly concealed, some openly. If concealed, you simply show your concealed handgun permit and you walk right around the metal detector. One of the bills we are pushing is Constitutional Carry so we don't need these stupid CHP's. :)

Edited by JohnHenryQuick

I think that you folks in the rest of the country are pretty much right on with the majority of your comments. Unfortunately CA is so leftist that l don't see any change coming soon. The way I see it is that the citizens here will either have a change in there thinking or we will be annexed by China (willingly).

Please don't lump all of New England together. Northern NE has not lost its senses. Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont are firearm friendly as opposed to southern NE.

Or maybe, just buy from a Cali Dealer.....ahem....I didn't read all the comments, but if a gun (or anything ELSE for that matter) is purchased out of state, it is the dealers responsibility to collect TAXES on it. And before you start throwing rocks at our backs, just remember, what starts here, moves east. So, be nice to us on the FRONT LINES, cause if our line breaks, you WILL be next. And lastly, "that will NEVER happen here", is the lament of everyone ignorant enough to NOT know history.....

hud

I ship there all the time. It takes an extra 5 minutes to do the paper work.

Not real hard

Johnny Meadows

Politics aside, from a business standpoint it doesn't make sense to me to exclude a state that's population is more than ten percent of the country and potentially the largest customer base in the world over 5 minutes of work.

• Like 1