SASS Wire Forum

OT--S & W identification, DA in .45 Colt 6.5" bbl

Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I have revolver that's part of an estate sale coming up soon with a blue 6.5" barreled S&W double action that looks like the old triple lock revolver.

It has 40XX serial on the butt and 28XX serial in the crane area.

Tall front blade, fixed rear, small grip. Wimpy contour barrel. Shrouded ejector.

There is no caliber or model stamped on it.

But .45 Colt rounds fit the chambers.

And I would say kind of loosely.

It's definitely not a .44 of any sort.

Maybe a .455. But I don't have one of those to try.

There is stamp on the backstrap...... -><-.......Damn, it looks kind of like my cattle brand. :rolleyes:

I have had no luck on the internet finding a S & W manufacture serial by year chart.

Any help or direction would be appreciated, Pards.

Much obliged,

Mustang

Howdy

A decent photo would go a long way towards identifying the revolver in question.

There is no mistaking a Triple Lock. The third latch in the underside of the extractor shroud engages a hardened steel insert pressed into the cylinder yoke.

Plunger%2003_zpsjabidl3e.jpg

The cylinder assembly has been removed in this photo to show the hardened insert pressed into the yoke.

Yoke%20Insert%2001_zps48ycuhwm.jpg

Notice the extractor shroud is very tall, to house the triple lock mechanism.

triplelocknickel05_zps00475b76.jpg

Most were chambered for 44 Special. Also 44 Russian, 44-40, 455 Mark II and 38-40. a very few were chambered for 45 Colt. But quite a few were rechambered for 45 Colt. Manufactured from 1908 until 1915, Serial Numbers ran from 1 through 15,375. The SN on any S&W revolver is on the bottom of the butt. Numbers in the crane area are assembly numbers and are meaningless.

The Triple Lock was officially known as the 44 Hand Ejector, 1st Model. The third latch was dropped when the 2nd Model came out, never to be repeated.

The 44 Hand Ejector 2nd Model lacked any sort of extractor shroud. 2nd Models were made from 1915 to 1940. SNs started around 15,376 to about 59XXXX. Calibers were 44 Special, 44-40, 45 Colt or 38-40. I have one that was originally chambered for .455 but was modified to 44 Special.

44handejectornumber202_zps4b43d341.jpg

The 3rd Model reintroduced the extractor shroud, but lacked the third latch. Also known as the Model 1926 HE, also known as the Wolf & Klar Model. Chambered for 44 Special. Made from 1926 until 1941, SNs 28,358 - 61,412.

IMG_0097%20cropped_zpsbc71sxna.jpg

The 44 HE 4th Model was made from 1950 until 1966. SNs S75000 - S263000. Became the Model 24 in 1957.

44handejector4thmodel01.jpg

None of these revolvers had a model name stamped on them until 1957 when Model Numbers were adopted, but they all should have the caliber marked on the barrel.

Edited by Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283
  • Thanks 1

:FlagAm::FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm::FlagAm:

THANK YOU, DRIFTWOOD!!!!

It is the best description of the triple lock revolvers I've had so far.

The revolver looks like the one in your 3rd photo. Only blued.

The grip is black and white marbleized plastic aftermarket and is more the shape of the combat grip that I recollect S&W calls it.

Now we need to see about what value it might bring for the estate.

Mustang

Howdy Again

The grips on my Triple Lock are what S&W called Service Grips. The grips on the 44HE 4th Model are what S&W calls Magna grips. S&W did not start using Magna grips until around 1950, but as you say, yours are after market.

The Serial Number should appear in four separate locations on a S&W revolver of that era. The SN of record is on the bottom of the grip. The SN should also appear on the rear face of the cylinder, the underside of the extractor star, and on the barrel. With a Triple Lock the SN on the barrel will be stamped in the hollow of the extractor shroud. It will be right up front under where the knurling of the extractor rod sits when the cylinder is closed. If the SNs of the barrel, cylinder, or extractor do not agree with the SN of the butt, then the gun probably did not leave the factory with those parts. Curious there is no caliber marking on this one. As I said, a very few Triple Locks left the factory chambered for 45 Colt, but many were modified for that cartridge by after market gunsmiths. But if a factory barrel was used for a conversion, it should be marked for caliber.

Some of the 455 Triple Locks that were sold to England were converted to 45 Colt when they got back here. Are there any British markings on the gun? This 455 HE 2nd Model was sent to Canada during WWI. That is the Canadian Broad Arrow acceptance mark below the thumbpiece. The British version of the Broad Arrow acceptance mark was the same, without the 'C'.

44_HE_2nd_Model_broadarrow_zpsa332c264.j

The crown shaped mark on the butt is a British proof mark.

44_HE_2nd_Model_crown_02_zps1bfcd1fc.jpg

Sorry, but other than the fact that they are relatively rare, I am not going to go out on a limb and guess at the value of your Triple Lock. Entirely dependent on condition, and originality.

Driftwood, I believe the magna grips were first used on the Registered Magnums, I have a copy of the 1935 or 37 "Burning Powder" book from S&W that shows them on one. Perhaps you mean the Diamond Targets and "Coke Bottle" grips in the 50's.

Yes, I stand corrected. Magna grips were an option on the Registered Magnums starting in 1935. After WWII Magna grips became standard on all S&W Hand Ejectors.