SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmoke favorite episode?

Bugler

Just finished watching Gunsmoke "Snow Train" on Tvland and have to say that I think it is without a doubt in MY mind the best episode EVER. How about the rest of you?

Bugler

I have a couple and BOTH of them involve Steve (Stephen/Steven) Forrest.

My #1 favorite: The Widowmaker

#2: MANNON

..........Widder

Edited by Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054

I really like he ones with Festus.

More then the ones with Chester .

But I do like them all .

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne

Don't know the name of the episode but...

It's the one where Matt sends Festus out to arrest this young man..

The young man is married with a new baby..

The young man has the drop on Festus with a rifle but gives himself up..

Then the young man's wife gets the drop on Festus but her husband talks her into giving up..

The baby is crying from the house and Festus kinda tells them they need to get out of Kansas..

Matt rides up.. and asks Festus "You couldn't find them ?"

Festus.. "No I never could catch them Mathew.."

In the background you see the young couple riding off with their newborn baby in a buckboard..

Matt says something like " Kinda figured that.. Let's head back to Dodge.."

The one I remember but can't recall the name;

Matt and Chester find the remains of massacred settlers. At first it looks like indians did it, but somehow they figure out it was done by white men disguised as Indians. They figure out where these murderers are hiding, lay an ambush for them, and kill them all. Chester isn't sure they should act as executioners, but Matt is convincing. Pretty brutal and realistic, and just a bit out of character for Matt, which is why I remember it.

If anyone knows the name or date of this one, I'd appreciate learning it. Thanks.

"Gunsmoke" is my favorite western series

Hard for me to pick my favorite episode. I recall the one where they ambushed the "comancheros," the gang that murdered white settlers. It was very good; there were so many that were very good.

Can't pick just one.

My favorite is one where Matt get taken advantage of because of his good nature. He goes out to a small ranch/farm to arrest the owner. The man says he will willingly go back but winter is coming and he needs to make sure that wife will be OK. He needs to weatherproof the house, split fire wood and enough other chores to fill the episode. And of course Matt is talked into helping him. The man knew he was innocent and had a good alibi but decided to play a little con game with Matt.

I pretty much like 'em all. Usually watch an episode or 2 every day during the week. It's on TV-Land every weekday from about 1:00 - 5:00! Just saw the Snow Train episode myself recently. Can you imagine the effort to learn Festus' lines? I have a hard time just trying to repeat 'em!

It's hard to single it to just one. Captain Sligo is the one that makes me laugh the hardest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ni_90tJpOc

Anyone know how many episodes had both Dennis Weaver AND Ken Curtis in them? I have seen about 5 but I think there are more than that....

The supporting stable of cast members was extraordinary.....I liked the nickname Sgt. Holly ( Forrest Tucker) had for Marshall Dillon....Marshall Big Fist!

Bugler