SASS Wire Forum

large brass replacment bead for 73 front sight

cajun bandit

Well, replacing the bead in a Uberti front sight might get a little tricky. Don't know that any one knows the shank diameter that is behind an Uberti bead.

The usual way of getting a big bead up front is to drift out the old sight and fit and drift in a new one, for maybe $30. A commonly used sight, and one I would recommend from personal use, is the Grabber, available at the Smith Shop

http://www.thesmithshop.com/grabber.html

You will want a .410 height for the normal Uberti sights on a rifle-type 73. The .130 bead is pretty big, and the .175 bead more like a shotgun bead, Be aware that the big bead may make it tough to shoot long range at small targets (like 100 yards). But then, several other things make it hard to shoot our main match lever guns at a hundred yards. :lol:

Now, if you have a carbine design 73, with the barrel band at the muzzle, that gets a little more difficult to find.

Good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

Cajun,

TL Miller has an excellent replacement sight for the 73. You can contact him thru the cowboy and Indians store. I have one on my rifle and highly reccomend them.

Mackenna

If you want a big bead, just soak a small pistol primer in some WD40, then remove the primer material and super glue the cup over the existing bead. Works just fine.

Snakebite

Uberti factory front sights don't have a bead unless it's been changed to a Marble beaded sight. Pioneer gun works has a beaded barrel band sights to replace the factory band. If you want to replace the bead you can get them from www.slixsprings.com and click on SLIX BEADS.

Edited by I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321

If you want a big bead, just soak a small pistol primer in some WD40, then remove the primer material and super glue the cup over the existing bead. Works just fine.

Snakebite

Thats what I did works great .

Woodfox :)

Sure Hit sights at Slicks Magic Guns

Snakebite

+1

Did this on 4 rifles .

Works great .

I actually made a large bead for my rifle site last night. I took a .175 shotgun bead, chucked it into my dremel tool and turned it down with a small file. I turned it down just enough that it was a snug fit and pressed it into my Marbles sight. First I just pulled out the small bead that Marbles used. Pretty easy and cheap to do.