SASS Wire Forum

On pulling the plug...

Whatever the timing, yours or theirs Congrats! I'm sure you'll be in the swing in no time. Best Wishes

What are there grounds for terminating you? Layoff, firing? You definitely should be able to collect unemployment. Once you start collecting, send them a registered letter rescinding your retirement and collect the unemployment as long as you can....then retire! screw them.................

• Like 1

Where I work it's almost a matter of process. Whether you retire or are laid-off, the process is the same. The reason is they want to make sure you aren't leaving with any sensitive information that can be used against the company like competitive information, trade secrets etc. It sounds harsh but I understand why.

This was at a Transit Agency.

Years ago when I worked at an aerospace company this was normal procedure.

What are there grounds for terminating you? Layoff, firing? You definitely should be able to collect unemployment. Once you start collecting, send them a registered letter rescinding your retirement and collect the unemployment as long as you can....then retire! screw them.................

Oh I like this!! :D

First off, pard and pardettes, I've enjoyed the heck out of reading all the posts!

Okay... just quick recap ~ I'd written my letter the night of Oct 04, inspired by a "conflict" with my boss that afternoon. Went in the next day and told my young co-worker that I had, and intended to make my last day early December. When she realized I was was serious, she asked me to please wait 'til after the holidays. I reflected a moment, and told her I would wait, realizing that the holidays were going to be beyond horrid in our department.

Well... when I did hand the letter to the boss on Monday, she asked why I'd picked April 17 as my last day. I had my reasons, and told her. I also told her that I had originally planned on leaving in early December, but at the request of my co-worker delayed it out of a sense of responsibility.

And I mentioned my earlier intent and decision to delay 'til after the holidays.

I also mentioned that I would likely apply for unemployment for a while... someone responded that I might not qualify if I resigned... so I made two points: First, if they denied my unemployment benefit, I would appeal, and would be about 95% sure of prevailing on appeal. Second, there do exist a couple of legitimate reasons to qualify for unemployment when resigning - one of which was concern for health and well-being. And, since it was documented that the job had already put me in the cardiac ward once that should qualify me.

So when I was called in to HR, I was told that my decision to delay my initial departure date was appreciated, my work ethic was recognized, and they'd decided that since I had already planned on leaving earlier they didn't want to hold me back another two months.

Uh.... O-Kay....

It was a bit disturbing. But as I think on it, one phrase keeps coming to mind:

"Oh please Brer Fox, whatever you do, please don't throw me into the briar patch...!"

brerrabbitbriar.gif

• Like 1

Hardpan

Congratulations and welcome to freedom. I left my last real job about 18 months ago had a couple of 25 cent jobs and dont much want another one.Retirement is a grieving process like any other loss but it doesnt take as long to normalize.Now it's GREAT. Im glad your leaving will be classier than mine. But a Ballard does have it's appeal...

Imis

I'm looking forward to testing out these words from the venerable Utah Bob... :rolleyes:

Retirement rocks!

Hardpan: I'm in Ontario, Canada, so our employment laws are likely different.

That said, here in Ontario, Canada, the circumstances of your leaving, could be construed as a firing.

Here, if your labour lawyer gets involved, you may get a very hefty pay-out for every year you were with the company.

Food for thought.

In any case, enjoy your retirement, but if mine is any indication, you'll be busier than ever!! LOL 1

Hardpan: I'm in Ontario, Canada, so our employment laws are likely different.

That said, here in Ontario, Canada, the circumstances of your leaving, could be construed as a firing.

Here, if your labour lawyer gets involved, you may get a very hefty pay-out for every year you were with the company.

Food for thought.

In any case, enjoy your retirement, but if mine is any indication, you'll be busier than ever!! LOL 1

Howdy Cold Lake..Similar here in Australia & further there are some companies that pay out a percentage of unused sick pay & if the employee gives notice & the employer brings the date forward then the $$ are still paid for the employee's date..but then our notice periods are only 1-4 weeks.Wages are 'Much' higher here than the USA however our cost of living is very much higher.Also we have compulsory superannuation payments made by the employer to employee's fund [ presently around 10% ]..13 weeks long service pay after 15 years & 4 weeks vacation pay each year.Although this is what should happen there are still employers who don't do the right thing! I was in the 90's a union official & had great pleasure in busting the rogues.

Enjoy your retirement Hardpan ....

The other day while walking at a small airport, I met a man working on his 1946 Aeronca Chief plane.

He had a bunch of neat pictures on the wall of old antique planes he had either owned or worked on.

He had just retired from working for the Aviation Company for a famous Texas oil billionaire.

He said he now makes more being retired than when he was working. They had provided him with two or three different retirement plans.

They wanted to give him a retirement gift...not cash or a gift card, but something tangible.

He always wanted a Vespa Scooter as a kid, so they bought him a brand new black shiny Vespa that he had ridden to the hangar.

Made me feel good that a company had actually treated an employee well.

Wish you the best amigo. Back in Sept. I kicked loose from a job (mostly a company that bought us out) that I hated. Been a pretty dry spell since then, no jobs I've found better than what I left. I work in a fairly limited field in a West Texas area. Hope you enjoy retirement if that's what you want. I'm a few years away from that (I thought!)

JHC

Where I work it's almost a matter of process. Whether you retire or are laid-off, the process is the same. The reason is they want to make sure you aren't leaving with any sensitive information that can be used against the company like competitive information, trade secrets etc. It sounds harsh but I understand why.

The places I know that do this will walk you out that day but if you gave 2 weeks notice would still pay the 2 weeks.