SASS Wire Forum

On pulling the plug...

So I finally submitted my resignation letter last week. Gave 'em three months notice...

Just got called in to the Human Resources office. They're giving me three weeks notice. Instead of April 17 as my last day, it's gonna be February 03.

Yikes! I've been expedited!! :huh:

Feels weird. :mellow:

You gave them three (3) months, and they gave you (3) weeks? Seems you're employer is low-classed to me. But, now you can draw unemployment if'n ya wish.

Congrats on your retirement Hardpan. Enjoy a life of leisure and enjoy it to the fullest!

Edited by Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663

Congratulations on your retirement. I can understand the gracious depart, no burnt bridges and all......but I'd still be pissed to miss out on 2.25 months worth of regular wages and benefits.

Once again, congrats on your retirement.....ENJOY. B)

CS

Companies get that way when employee's don't play their game.

My wife once gave her boss two week's.....she replied "You can leave now"

Have fun sleeping in .

...... Gave 'em three months notice............. They're giving me three weeks notice.

Congratulation!! Just give em that smile as you head out the door.

Congratulations! Welcome to "Six Saturdays and one Sunday in every week." Now you can draw unemployment and plan the rest of your life in a stress free environment.

For your vacation this year, check out the thread on BLACK GOLD on the wire and join us there.

Duffield

You'll be surprised how quickly you adapt to being retired. I found that I have things I've wanted to do but never had time for.... so many that I still don't have time for all of them.

Come see me in Arizona. I'll make a believer out of you.

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935

If I had given 3 months notice (heck of a long notice if you want my opinion, which you likely don't) and got hauled in and given three weeks, I would have told 'em, "OK, if you are going to play games, I'm out of here. Send my check within 3 days." Then packed up and walked out.

Howdy,

Look. Ya gotta have time to plan a goin out and not comin back party.

Turn off ur larm clock. Feels so good.

I have no idea how I ever found 40 hour a week to work.

And being able to shop saves SO much money.

My last bargain was a $3 item for 59 cents.

There are dollar store that actually sell stuff for a dollar.

Its amazing what they sell there. And NOT the dollar store that sells stuff for 4-5 bucks.

If you don't have a van or mini van or truck, you should get one.

Best combo is a van and a sports car.

ymmv.

Best

CR

Hardpan!! You worked faithfully and they decide to pull the rug out from under you! Work out the three weeks, grab your dismissal papers and go directly to the unemployment office!! File for benefits and use them as you see fit. They could have paid you more if they weren't required to pay unemployment insurance on your behalf. YOU ARE ENTITLED TO THAT BENEFIT!! You paid for it, despite what ANYONE tells you to the contrary, and if you played by the rules you should be paid recompense!!

Nod and smile as you leave and giggle all of the way to the Unemployment Office!!!

• Like 1

Congratulations! You'll do fine and forget about work in due time just like I did.....in about 5 seconds.

It took me near two weeks to forget.

If I had given 3 months notice (heck of a long notice if you want my opinion, which you likely don't) and got hauled in and given three weeks, I would have told 'em, "OK, if you are going to play games, I'm out of here. Send my check within 3 days." Then packed up and walked out.

+100

Hardpan!! You worked faithfully and they decide to pull the rug out from under you! Work out the three weeks, grab your dismissal papers and go directly to the unemployment office!! File for benefits and use them as you see fit. They could have paid you more if they weren't required to pay unemployment insurance on your behalf. YOU ARE ENTITLED TO THAT BENEFIT!! You paid for it, despite what ANYONE tells you to the contrary, and if you played by the rules you should be paid recompense!!

Nod and smile as you leave and giggle all of the way to the Unemployment Office!!!

+1

You gave them three (3) months, and they gave you (3) weeks? Seems you're employer is low-classed to me. But, now you can draw unemployment if'n ya wish.

Congrats on your retirement Hardpan. Enjoy a life of leisure and enjoy it to the fullest!

+1!!!

Some companies perform classified work.

In so doing, once an employee is going to leave the company, the company gets them out the door quickly.

Your dismissal should warrant your unemployment benefits so take advantage of them, plain and simple.

Congratulations on your retirement. I think you will enjoy it just as well on Feb 3 as you would on April 17.

..........Widder

I would make it a very casual 3 weeks and once Feb. 3rd arrived I would depart smiling and not look back. I would also change my phone number.

Congrats, Hardpan!

Looking forward is much better than looking back. It's easier on your neck and you don't trip as much... :-)

Hardpan: I'm in Ontario, Canada, so our employment laws are likely different.

That said, here in Ontario, Canada, the circumstances of your leaving, could be construed as a firing.

Here, if your labour lawyer gets involved, you may get a very hefty pay-out for every year you were with the company.

Food for thought.

In any case, enjoy your retirement, but if mine is any indication, you'll be busier than ever!! LOL 1

Where I worked, your manager and security guard would watch you pack your personal items and then the guard would walk you to your vehicle. Somewhere between a dishonable discharge ceremony and facing a firing squad.

I have seen this many times and with really good people that were dedicated employees. It's a shame.

I have seen this many times and with really good people that were dedicated employees. It's a shame.

Where I work it's almost a matter of process. Whether you retire or are laid-off, the process is the same. The reason is they want to make sure you aren't leaving with any sensitive information that can be used against the company like competitive information, trade secrets etc. It sounds harsh but I understand why.

Hardpan you could always pull what's know as a Ballard where I work. Named after the person that did the below.

Person that was training me on a system went to lunch one day. About 2 hours later we got a call from HR letting us know he had resigned effectively immediately.

Seems he stopped by HR after lunch and turned in his badge and key. He didn't take anything from his desk and even left a light jacket hanging on the coat rack. I shared an office with the guy and was just as surprised as everyone else that I worked with.

IT came an collected his computer and we boxed up anything we though was a personal item from his desk. After not hearing nary a word for two months we donated the box to a local thrift store. A little over a month after that he sent a co-worker a message asking for his stuff to be mailed to an address out of state. When told is was all given away he was a little angry. We all decided it was his fault as we had no way to contact him.

Just don't do what he did outside of work. The same day he left he had his wife served with divorce papers. Couple of people that knew her well said she was so shocked at the notification she was speechless. Seems he hid everything from her as well as us. About 6 months later we found out that he had run off with his high school sweetheart to Alabama.

Edited by Sedalia Dave