SASS Wire Forum

Para Wild Bunch 1911

Will Lynchem

Found a Para 1911 series Wild Bunch with the SASS cowboy on the rear of the slide and "Wild Bunch" laser engraved on the front of the slide. The gun looks to be in good to exultant condition.

What would you pay for one?????

Since Para has been bought up by Remington in 2012, and there were lots of reports of some problems with reliability (feeding especially) with their Para built single-stacks like this WB model, and not knowing exactly what extra nice parts might be on the WB version, I would be reluctant to buy one over about $450 or so. If you want a reliable gun then the Remington's own R11, Springfield Mil Spec or Range Officer, Ruger and government type Colts are twice the gun from what I would expect an older Para would be.

Just my opinion without having hands on experience.

Good luck, GJ

PS - it sounds like Remington is being pretty successful RECENTLY in taking over the Para manufacturing and making it an integral part of their operation, and improving the quality of build, so that new Para-Remington guns would be much more attractive than the ones built 5-8 years ago.

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

Thanks Joe! I'm not sure about this but from what I've heard, Para ran this limited edition about 4 or 5 years ago then stopped production. I'm not sure my facts are right. But I do know that they have no been produced in the last 3 years. Does this mean that Para still made these guns? Or did Remington make them?

Your facts are right. They quit building that gun in 2011. Fairly limited production. It was a collaboration between Para-USA and Long Hunter. Legal in Modern as is but needed the sight dots blackened to be Traditional legal. These were built long before Para was bought out. Have actual first hand knowledge. Was working at Long Hunter's when this happened.

Boggus, thanks for the info. Still looking at buying one for wild bunch shooting. But not wanting to pay a price out of range of its worth. The store owner is asking $725.00. That seems a little high for a Para. Even if it is a limited edition. What do you think? Thanks in advance, Will.

PS, hope to see you again at Winter Range this year.

I got one of those, won it at WR as a matter of fact and I still use it for WB !!! They didn't make very many, it was made by para and is pretty basic. Sweet running iron. If you're not going to buy it, tell me where it is and I will! $725 is a bit high but...

When I buy a gun, I don't want to be lucky. I want to be sure that it works right for most folks. And that I can get parts. Now, the (single stack) Paras being close clones of most 1911s - parts would not worry me.

Guns that are not close to 100% reliable are even less interesting to me than guns that are not accurate. :lol:

Good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

I had not been following these developments; sounds like all good news - especially the warranty (I have a Slim Hawg).

https://www.remington.com/news/2015/remington-announces-para-integration

Also give them some props for admitting to the Marlin debacle.

LL

I have seen new Colt 1911s going for that price, brand new. I sure would not buy a Para if I could buy a Colt in the same price range.

You might have to order one from an online gun store but even with the shipping thrown in it will be less than $800 for a quality 1911 that will retain its resale value.

If you are patient and can take some time looking around you might be able to find a Springfield GI model. That should set you back somewhere between $450 and $550. Those are quality pieces but are no longer being manufactured by Springfield. The only problem I see with those for some people is they have the standard GI sights which are pretty small.

My thoughts.

Edited by Dantankerous

Boggus, thanks for the info. Still looking at buying one for wild bunch shooting. But not wanting to pay a price out of range of its worth. The store owner is asking $725.00. That seems a little high for a Para. Even if it is a limited edition. What do you think? Thanks in advance, Will.

My suggestion is to just let it go....he's selling it for a reason and is asking $hundreds more than I personally think it's worth, based, probably, on what he has in it, and the horsepower he thinks resides in the Para-Ordinance roll mark and the SASS engraving. I've stayed away from P-O because of stories of unreliability. Also, I think you should remember that for WB competition, the weapon must reliably chamber and fire lead slugs. Many new 1911's of any manufacture will not do so (reliably), out of the box, new. Edited by Cat Brules, SASS #14086

Will I've got one of those Paras. It's a safe queen really, has a lightened trigger and a $150.00 action job done on it.

It's all black with black grips with dot sights, great gun in near new condition, doubt if it's had 600 rounds through it.

I'm looking for $695.00 will bringing to WR.

First I'll take it gets it.

For the $725 you could buy a new Taurus 1911, with all the bells and whistles. I bought one when they first came out, and used it to win our first WB match at Wartrace.It wasn't that I was all that fast but I was the only shooter that day that had not a single failure to feed or fire. It loves .45 round nose loads and shoots tight groups with every hand and factory load I have put through it. Worth a look

my$.02

Imis

I only ever had one single stack 1911. It was a Model 70 Colt with a set of Millet sights that would have worked for Stevie Wonder!! It worked well but only held 8 with one in the pipe! This was a long time before WB.

I traded that one for a 13/45 PO and 2 spare magazines. It is STILL my carry weapon! It holds 14 with one in the chamber, will eat ANYTHING I feed it, works wet, dry, clean, or nasty, first time, every time!! These older Paras have a one piece feed ramp and barrel and one of the best "from the factory" triggers I've run across!!

I don't shoot WB. I can see myself now, firing five rounds in a serious situation and then dropping a mag with 9 rounds in it 'cause of muscle memory!! :wacko: I don't know the value of the pistol in question, but I wouldn't take the seller's asking price for mine!!!