SASS Wire Forum

Tom Mix Revolver?

I have seen a Colt .38 Officer's Model revolver which has been in the family since the 50's. Family lore is it was traded to my wife's grandfather by Roy Rodgers for a Luger he had that Roy saw. We have no documentation for the provenance so as a way just to settle the issue I sent to Colt for a factory letter. The letter came back with no reference to Roy. What it did come back with is it was in a shipment of two sent to Tom Mix of Beverly Hills, Ca. Pretty nice but surprising find and no proof of the family story.

I checked the serial number so it is not one of the ones taken from his museum.

Any suggestions as to where I might be able to get any more information on this revolver as it appears to be one used for trick shooting or shows? Thanks.

Edited by Raritan River Kid SASS #23259
  • Like 1

You are in command of the mightiest research tool in the world. The Internet. Go on-line and start searching. Tom MIx was famous so there are a lot of resources on him. He died in a car crash right here in Arizona just outside of Florence. There is a road marker at the crash site.

Head over to the Colt Forum. If you're already a member send a PM to "thecoltguy", he's probably one of the leading experts on pre-war DA Colts, particularly the Officers models, and I'm sure he'll be very helpful. If you're not a member, join and post the question in the revolver forum, and I'm sure that you'll get much good information, and "thecoltguy" will likely respond. There's no better place for finding information on Colts, one of the best forums on the net.

Best regards,

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Get in touch with Dusty Rogers at RR-Bar Regulators in Lucerne, CA.

Dusty helped in founding the club, and allowed us to use the RR-Bar brand logo that was registered to his father, Roy Rogers.

https://www.doublerbarregulators.com/

You can also find'em on FB.

OLG

Kid,

Just an idea. I do a good bit of genealogy research and I find that "family lore" is almost always based in fact but not necessarily "true" fact. Since Tom Mix and Roy Rogers were both cowboy celebrities and Roy was better know during this time frame, some one may have gotten them mixed up and changed the story some. This is never done maliciously it just happens as the stories are told and retold. Either way, you have a very cool gun. Congratulations and good luck in your research.   

• Like 1

Many times, family stories are "off" a bit. According to family legend, my great, great granddaddy, Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Infantry CSA, received a wound to his stomach. Checking the records reveled he had suffered from "debilitis" aka diarrhea. :) After some time in the hospital, he was able to return to his unit.

Reminds me of a local story.   The elementary school I attended is called Lt. Job Lane Elementary.   Named after a local Revolutionary War hero.   His grave is in the Old Burying Ground, and his house, not far from the school, is still standing and is a local museum.   When I was in Jr. High, (That should tell you how old I am...) a few kids going to Lane Elementary decided to learn more about the man for whom their school was named.   Turned out that he wasn't a Lieutenant at all.   Or even an officer.  He was private who got shot in the butt at the Old North Bridge in Concord on the very first day of the war, and never saw service again after that. 

Since then, I never take anybody's word for anything. 

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I don't have contact information, but I agree with those who suggest contacting Dusty Rogers. I had the pleasure of shooting on a posse with him at the Missouri State Championships in 2000 in Branson (a great match, by the way, put on by great people). He's friendly and approachable, and will give you any information he has.

• Like 1