SASS Wire Forum

Midwestern Ice Storm

J-BAR #18287

Got my fingers crossed for pards in Oklahoma and Kansas as well as here in Missouri...freezing rain predicted for tonight and tomorrow.

It was 10 years ago this month that a big ice storm hit this region. My house was without power for a week and we were among the lucky ones. Some folks went three or four weeks without electricity. It was a pain in the butt as well as being dangerous.

Some of us may be offline for a couple of days. We aren't ignoring you, it may be we are dealing with some power outages.

Here's hoping the weathermen got the forecast wrong! :blink::ph34r:

Plenty of water stored, generator ready to go with lots of extra fuel. Now saying my area will have 1" of ice by Saturday here in Mid-Missouri. Was Jan. 12, 2007 from that really big ice storm that wiped out a lot of Missouri. Hang in there J-Bar! :o

We had a dandy here at the beginning of the week. Another coming. All ready!

A tip: The neighbors get upset when you run your Christmas lights during a power outage.. Worth every drop of gas!

Edited by Michigan Slim
  • Like 1

Unfortunately...or fortunately, you get to find out what kind of neighbors you have in a bad situation like a long power outage.

I pray the storms, or the forecast for the storms are over exaggerated.

I cooked on a Coleman camp stove for three days and burned a ton of candles when our power went out years ago.

Twas not fancy but we had light and hot meals.

And it WAS ONLY three days. We were lucky.

Did 36 hours once back a few years ago. Total electric home with no power. resorted to a kerosene heater with some windows cracked for ventilation. Used melted snow to flush toilets, wells were down too. Improvised a drip coffee setup on top of the heater.

We are slated for freezing precip also on Saturday :(:unsure:

Got my fingers crossed for pards in Oklahoma and Kansas as well as here in Missouri...freezing rain predicted for tonight and tomorrow.

It was 10 years ago this month that a big ice storm hit this region. My house was without power for a week and we were among the lucky ones. Some folks went three or four weeks without electricity. It was a pain in the butt as well as being dangerous.

Some of us may be offline for a couple of days. We aren't ignoring you, it may be we are dealing with some power outages.

Here's hoping the weathermen got the forecast wrong! :blink::ph34r:

We got hit by that one too in central Missouri. But the one that hit us in January of 2007 was the worst I've ever experienced. It was sticking to here trees break and sound like gunfire. Trees toppling over and taking other trees down and hear the shattering ice. The forest looked like a battle ground once the ice thawed.

We were lucky and only lost power for a couple of days. We heat with wood stove so kept warm. My folks never lost power so we could get water from them.

Mary keeps prepared. I noticed she had jars of water on the kitchen counter this evening.

I made the mistake of going to the store today, just to make sure I had enough fresh provisions for a few days. I should have gone several days ago. {We have lots of frozen and dried food as well as bottled water.} The shelves were almost completely empty. It was actually eery. Uno has to work, although he seems to be catching a cold (cough, cough). The company I work for made us bring our laptops home so we continue to work instead of trying to drive in. We'll see how long the power lasts.

Edited by Calamity Kris

We "got stuff" Wednesday and the two stores we hit were not crowded at all and all shelves stocked.

The "get stuff" in quotes comes about because I never get a real tangible answer from Mary. She'll say we need to go to town and I'll ask what for. She only replies, "Stuff.". Usually it's something that I didn't know we needed like yet another skein of yarn.

Red sky at daybreak but nothing falling here. Radar shows everything is north of US 60. I'd just as soon it stay that way.

Added: Full daylight on the hill and traffic on Business 60 is at speed.

Edited by Noz

Dantankerous mentioned candles.

Some really great emergency candles are the "votive" or religious candles that come in a glass jar. They are tall and they last a lot longer than regular candles and they do put out a little tiny bit of heat. One that's 8" tall and 2.5" in diameter will last at least 24 hours continuous light. You can find these at Dollar Stores and at other stores, quite often in these can be found in the Ethnic Food aisles in stores near the Mexican Food

We have a few hurricane lamps. I just pretend I'm Marshall Dillon when I carry it from room to room! But I like your votive candle info.

Edited by J-BAR #18287
  • Like 1

We're north of Missouri River and nothing is within 100 miles of us yet. And they keep dropping the chance of us getting anything today all morning.

Mary made a run to the library to stock up books. It was closed as well as the Court House. Even the pawn shop was closed. She said they are already out putting crap down on roads - both state and local.

She stopped in at local grocery store to get me something and said if you wanted chips, you were out of luck as the chip shelves were empty.

She talked with the guys that rent our pasture on the way in and they said they were at Manards yesterday and saw them sale three portable generators while they were there.

I sure hope it's all for nothing.

Saw a car in town, Warsaw Mo., covered with ice. Mist coming down now and turning to ice on metal. Soon to be on roads so I came home and stay put! :)

We've got freezing rain right now. Very slippery out there. Took it really slow and easy going out to get the mail.

Uno had to go to work today. I asked him if there was a chance they would come to their senses and close early. He said this company, senses???? I guess the answer is no. On the other hand, there is a hotel right around the corner from his store. Worst case, he could spend the night there and not risk driving home. We'll see what happens next.

• Like 1

I was a supervisor for Public Service Co, the states largest Electrical utility, based in Tulsa. I worked 21 straight days, 18 hrs a day. Since retired 2 yrs ago after 41 yrs in the business, 30 yrs as a lineman. I have to ride it out just like you all now. We stocked up a few days ago with gas for the generator. I just hope people that don't have a over throw switch installed, pull their meter so the generator doesn't back feed . Putting 120 back out through the secondary side of a transformer creates 7620 v on top side of transformer and back down the line. We had a young contractor killed during that storm ,because of that.

Rev

We've got freezing rain right now. Very slippery out there. Took it really slow and easy going out to get the mail.

Uno had to go to work today. I asked him if there was a chance they would come to their senses and close early. He said this company, senses???? I guess the answer is no. On the other hand, there is a hotel right around the corner from his store. Worst case, he could spend the night there and not risk driving home. We'll see what happens next.

Looks like St Louis is getting the brunt of this one.

I was a supervisor for Public Service Co, the states largest Electrical utility, based in Tulsa. I worked 21 straight days, 18 hrs a day. Since retired 2 yrs ago after 41 yrs in the business, 30 yrs as a lineman. I have to ride it out just like you all now. We stocked up a few days ago with gas for the generator. I just hope people that don't have a over throw switch installed, pull their meter so the generator doesn't back feed . Putting 120 back out through the secondary side of a transformer creates 7620 v on top side of transformer and back down the line. We had a young contractor killed during that storm ,because of that.

Rev

One reason I had a lineman hook up my generator.

Rev

Let me ask, not that I have done it or plan to, but if a person was the run a generator and back feed to the main panel .

And turned off all breakers but 1 or 2, and turned off the main breaker, would he be endangering the line men?

Reuben,

You can do that. Turn off the main, That will stop the back flow to the meter. I always pull the meter, thats just me. You wouldn't believe how many people do not know what you do.

Rev

I had a throw off switch installed on the pole below the meter. Below the switch is a 30 amp receptacle so I can feed a generator into the house. Enough power to keep food frozen and have some light. Aux heat with a ventless propane heater.

Well, Uno made it home safely. We hear the next wave, of the four coming our way, is going to be worse than today. Those of us who live north and west of the city are really supposed to get it with this next run. Uno was given tomorrow off so we're going to stay home and chill. I've got dinner planned for the crock pot so all will be well.

Mode of transportation in Warsaw, Mo. is ICE Skates. But not to worrie, Monday will be back to 60 degrees. Tough in Missouri, a few weeks ago was 0 degrees, a few days later it hit mid 60's, then back to 0, then it hit a record 74 degrees, now the ice storms and 60 Monday. Just a cycle around here. :mellow:

Pretty good glaze on here in mid-Missouri. Radar doesn't show anything but there is a fine mist in the air. The crazy woman I live with came up to the reloading room and announced she was going for a walk. I asked if she was carrying her cell phone because I wanted to laugh at her if she fell. She made it back ok. Got a big pot of soup on smelling up the house. Yesterday it was apple pie.