SASS Wire Forum

Black Gold Shootout 2017!

Well everyone, Whiskey Creek said to tell everyone to bring your best slingshot. Also bring your best modern ammo, unless you want traditional and we will provide!  Better get those applications in, we're filling up fast!

main match 10 stages

speed side matches

maybe even a shotgun sidematch, hum

long range

wild bunch match

black powder match

team shoot

man on man

2 bands

cooking competitions

hillbilly spelling b

prizes galore

Elvis impersonators

free moonshine, beer, wine

and oh yeah-The hillbilly olympiks!

And a big surprise!

Well, you just have to be there to find that one out.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. can't wait!

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You had me after 10 main match stages:wub:

See everyone soon. Get there early, stay late.

8 hours ago, Bo Dacious said:

Will there be an Outlaw match this year?

Nope, you can stay home.:lol:

I actually ain't heard much about Outlaws at Black Gold but who cares?

It's Black Gold!

Waimea

On 5/27/2017 at 5:58 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Ladies and Gentlemen,  and you too Waimea!!  

... it is still up in the air as to whether I'll get to shoot the whole match, or maybe just shoot a couple of ceremonial stages. 

A MONTH AND A HALF 'TIL THE BEST PARTY IN S.A.S.S. THIS SIDE OF THE BIG MUDDY!! (maybe in all of S.A.S.S.!!) 

Dang, I cannot turn my back on you.:lol:

Thank you for not including me in that "gentlemen" category. 'Fraid I got thrown outta that one a long time ago. About the time I found Cowboy Shooting as I recall.:lol:

If'n we hafta carry you around, we'll getcha from stage to stage, Brother.

Then we'll get you up on stage too for some of your sweet tunes.

Feel better.

Waimea

Bo, I would not be surprised at all if there was an Outlaw Match. If Joe asked for one then yes there will be one. Probably shoot it Thursday morning if I had to guess.

Tell me about the food. A subject near and dear to my heart!

Plenty of it and always good.

Not sure what Copperhead has planned but we should have pulled pork one night, fried fish one night. Seems we brought in some pizzas one night, I will probably fix burgers and dogs one night. Maybe shrimp one night, ribs one night.

I will be there for a week by the way.

I have the RV ready and waiting... The Outlaw belt is on the line once again, I will have The 2016 CBAC World Champion of Outlaw shooting  {Fast Hammer } send the belt in, then it will be on like Donkey Kong!!!!!  Y'all know the rules if the current winner can't make the Outlaw match the belt is forfeited  and is up for grabs. Good Luck.

I'm plannin' on bein' there on Monday!!  I just hope I can do it standin' up!!  Schoolmarm says she can tell I'm healin' up, but it's feelin' gawdawful slow to me!!

I declare that the  Champeenship of the Hillbilly Nation will be shot at Black Gold. 

AND  Sultan of Smoke and King of Kaboom

EDITED on 6/1/17 at 9:14am

Champeenship of the Hillbilly Nation (CHN)

Competitors can sign up for the main match in FCD, Duelist, Classic, or other as long as they adhere to FCD equipment and guidelines. All pistols are shot in the SASS Duelist category manner. Double duelist is allowed.

Pistols :
250 or heavier gr. boolits and full 45 LC cases of 777 or Real Black (touching the base of the boolit- no cookies, cards, fiber wads, cereal, caulking rod, or any other fillers).

Rifle :
Rifle caliber must be 38 WCF, 44 WCF, 44 Mag or 45 LC and loaded with 777 or real Black to touch the boolit base (180 gr minimum). No loads broken down.

Shotgun :
Double barrel or '87 shotgun firing a 60 grain powder charge and 1 1/8 oz. shot (both minimums). Any type of BP powder or subs for Shotgun.

Sultan of Smoke (SoS)

Shooters from the SASS BP Match definition of the categories of FCD, Frontiersman, Duelist, Sr. Duelist, Classic Cowboy and Others are eligible. ie One Handed only.
All pistols are shot in the SASS Duelist category manner. Double duelist is allowed, see below for gunfighters.

Pistols and Rifle:

40 cal and up - 200 grain and up - 25 grains of powder and up
38-40 - 180 grain - 30 grains of powder and up
Cap and Bal. 44 cal and up - round ball - 30 grains of powder and up

Powder:
Real Black
Pyrodex
APP or Pinnacle and other Black Powder Substitutes ARE allowed

Shotgun:
60 grains of any powder (including APP and Pinnacle) 1 1/8 oz shot
same as CHN
Double barrel and 87
97 is not allowed

King of Kaboom (KoK)

Same rules as SoS, however, two handed or gunfighter shooting is allowed.

I mailed my application for myself today and for the first time ever, my son is going to be with me and going to shoot his first ever cowboy match. After a tough week of negotiation with his mother, he gets to come and stay with me in Alabama for the first time and then we will be headed to Black Gold for his first match. He will be with me from July 3 (his 16th birthday) until the July 22 and I will have several days with him at the range teaching him how to shoot cowboy. I have gotten him to shoot some trap 3 or 4 times and this is the first time since he was about 5 years old that he will attend a cowboy shoot. I have never pushed him to try cowboy shooting and he decided that he would try it and the hard part was getting permission from his mother to let him stay with me and shoot. I am now looking for a camper as I would like to stay at the range if possible as the closest hotel is overbooked and the other hotel in town I am not comfortable having him with me staying there. He needs an alias so suggestions are welcome. See you all soon.

Maddog McCoy

On 5/30/2017 at 4:16 PM, T-Bone SASS #36388 said:

I have the RV ready and waiting... The Outlaw belt is on the line once again, I will have The 2016 CBAC World Champion of Outlaw shooting  {Fast Hammer } send the belt in, then it will be on like Donkey Kong!!!!!  Y'all know the rules if the current winner can't make the Outlaw match the belt is forfeited  and is up for grabs. Good Luck.

I'll be in the weeds.

Waimea

6 hours ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

I am now looking for a camper as I would like to stay at the range if possible as the closest hotel is overbooked and the other hotel in town I am not comfortable having him with me staying there. He needs an alias so suggestions are welcome. See you all soon.

Maddog McCoy

Buy a tent. It's a blast.

Facilities are great. 3 flush toilets and 2 hot showers.

I will pass on suggesting an alias. I am still reeling from picking my own.:lol:

Waimea

10 hours ago, Jackalope said:

If it's OK with Copperhead Joe, I'll switch categories to defend my title!

Jackalope

Sir Jackalope?

Waimea

Round Up has been spread, anit no weeds left at the Ponderosa Pines area.

Come on out and run with Whiskey Creek and I , no net or weeds any where you can see.

I do like that Sir Jackalope though.

8 hours ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

.......... I am now looking for a camper as I would like to stay at the range if possible as the closest hotel is overbooked and the other hotel in town I am not comfortable having him with me staying there. He needs an alias so suggestions are welcome. See you all soon.

Maddog McCoy

Maddog, there are several nice hotels in London, about 25 miles away located on I-75.  I've been to Black Gold 4 times and stayed at hotels in London all 4 times.  I would not hesitate to take any of my family and stay there.

Kajun

Motels will work but camping on the range is the best.  Get a tent and a couple of cots and you'll be good to go.  Or you could be like Hurricane Charlie and just show up with a truck load of lumber and build your campsite.  Hurricane Charlie has since upgraded to a camper.  He just might have his old domicile available.  Some assembly will be required.

On 6/1/2017 at 9:52 PM, Jackalope said:

That'll be the day.

But, you may call me, "sir".

Or, "Your Highness"

I got something to call you but that sure ain't it! It does have a JACK in it though.

9 hours ago, Judge'm All Duncan, SASS#67320 said:

I got something to call you but that sure ain't it! It does have a JACK in it though.

Mind your manners.

On 6/1/2017 at 9:53 PM, Tn Tombstone said:

Round Up has been spread, anit no weeds left at the Ponderosa Pines area.

Come on out and run with Whiskey Creek and I , no net or weeds any where you can see.

I do like that Sir Jackalope though.

Maybe. But it's hard to change old habits.

No net.:lol:

On 6/1/2017 at 9:52 PM, Jackalope said:

That'll be the day.

But, you may call me, "sir".

Or, "Your Highness"

I'll stick with Sir Jackalope.

Anita is more the Highness type. 

Her Highness Queen Anita of the Realm of Margarita.

Waimea

Only 5 more weeks,  Whiskey Creek is talking a little about the Olympics, I heard mention of consulting lawyers, insurance agents and possibly the local LEO's but that is just a rumor.

This match is filling up and these last few weeks will get crowded. Come join the fun and shoot a few days.

14 hours ago, Tn Tombstone said:

Only 5 more weeks,  Whiskey Creek is talking a little about the Olympics, I heard mention of consulting lawyers, insurance agents and possibly the local LEO's but that is just a rumor.

This match is filling up and these last few weeks will get crowded. Come join the fun and shoot a few days.

Yeeeehaaaa.

Tryin' hard to get some nieces to join in the fun.

If successful I might have a family reunion with blood and chosen family.

Waimea

Looks like I'm gonna miss this year's fun, my wife (Chootin Cheryl) is having knee replacement surgery on June 21 and I'm gonna be her nurse/chauffeur/cabana boy to take care of her and ferry her to her physical terrorist sessions. I've shot the last 4 Black Gold Shootouts and it's always a fun time and family reunion. Ya'll have a good time and make sure ya'll consume my portion of Copperhead juice :blink:.

Kajun

We'll miss ya, Kajun.
Hope your bride recovers quickly.

When you retire it seems like the Universe has a way of fillin' in the time fer ya.

Just as a personal favor to you, I will personally consume your share of Copperhead Juice.
What a pal.:lol:

Waimea

Waimea, I know what you mean about working harder after you retire, I understand Boots has been so busy spreading round-up since Obama retired him, he has hardly had time to run his bulldozer to get to the really high weeds.

See you in a few weeks my friend, are you bringing me some bullets this year?

(still have Dr Hook running through my head)

34 minutes ago, Tn Tombstone said:

Waimea, I know what you mean about working harder after you retire, I understand Boots has been so busy spreading round-up since Obama retired him, he has hardly had time to run his bulldozer to get to the really high weeds.

See you in a few weeks my friend, are you bringing me some bullets this year?

(still have Dr Hook running through my head)

I'm thinkin' bout what you said NO NET.

Maybe the way to go specially with all the Round Up being used.

Bulldozer: now there's a machine I always wanted to operate. Maybe Boots will let me on it if I get there early enough. I promise to avoid people and buildings.

I'm bringing lots of bullets for you and anybody else that cares to buy them.

Maybe some special Black Gold prices too. :o

Waimea 

Archived